Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

APS Twin-Turbo Installed (photos)

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 05:49 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by JCurtin
Great Job as usual....so its for sale in 6 months? lol
You can buy it anytime you want for the right price. The right price is just much higher when I'm not bored of something yet

That goes for any of my vehicles.
Old 07-27-2007, 11:44 AM
JS
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have experience any oil leaking from the turbo's
Its been a little bit of a problem over on ls1gto.com
Old 07-27-2007, 09:56 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

no oil leaks so far.
Old 07-29-2007, 08:28 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JS
Have experience any oil leaking from the turbo's
Its been a little bit of a problem over on ls1gto.com
I very much doubt that the oil is leaking from the turbos unless the oil return pump is not fitted correctly and or the engine is running massive engine oil pressure which may overwhelm the oil return pumps capacity to return all of the oil to the engine.........in many cases (not all) if you have excessive oil circulating around the intake side of the turbos only (in the air entry and intercooler ducts), then imo the engine has very high crank case pressure (caused by inadequate piston ring sealing) and in this circumstance the engine breather system requires an improved oil vapour seperator system.

Peter
Old 07-31-2007, 09:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just wanted to update you guys on that instal job I did. Everything went great on my install. It went off to the tuner for tuning, a meth injection kit, and some guages. Car was dynoed on a Mustang Dyno. Reached 543 RWHP, and 569 RWTQ. To let you know what was done again. An APS twin fuel pump system was installed with the APS twin turbo system. Added a Stainless Work 3" turbo muffler catback, and a Tex twin disk clutch. Those are corrected #'s with a 50* intake temp with the meth kit activated.

Just an FYI after the fact. Once the tuner tuned the car and had great power. He took the car for a test run. Cylinders 5 and 7 went lean. He blew the motor. The car had 1k miles on it. Not since the turbo's, but since new. I am to say the least mad. But I have no control.
Old 07-31-2007, 10:07 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

OUCH! Why didn't you guys just install the kit as-is to get the baseline first, and then tweak from there and then add meth?

Hopefully none of the piston fragments went through the turbos and chewed the blades up.
Old 08-01-2007, 05:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, we installed so many new parts, and a new clutch. A quick street tune was used so the tuner can drive the car a few miles before putting the car on the dyno and breaking the clutch in. I believe he did 7 pulls. He only told me what they got on the high side. Not base line.

I hope the turbo's are OK to. But anything blown is comming out of the tuners pocket. Thankfully.
Old 08-01-2007, 06:27 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by oct03gto
Just wanted to update you guys on that instal job I did. Everything went great on my install. It went off to the tuner for tuning, a meth injection kit, and some guages. Car was dynoed on a Mustang Dyno. Reached 543 RWHP, and 569 RWTQ. To let you know what was done again. An APS twin fuel pump system was installed with the APS twin turbo system. Added a Stainless Work 3" turbo muffler catback, and a Tex twin disk clutch. Those are corrected #'s with a 50* intake temp with the meth kit activated.

Just an FYI after the fact. Once the tuner tuned the car and had great power. He took the car for a test run. Cylinders 5 and 7 went lean. He blew the motor. The car had 1k miles on it. Not since the turbo's, but since new. I am to say the least mad. But I have no control.
I'd be confident in saying that your tuner ran the air fuel ratio far too lean and this is what would have hurt the # 5 and #7 piston, best to keep the afr to around 11.1 at peak torque and no leaner than 11.5:1 at peak power, hope that helps and I'm really sorry to hear about the engine issue.

Pm me if you need any other advice on the engine tuning, I have a few base tuning maps that would help you get started if you plan on doing the tuning work yourself in the future.

Peter
Old 08-02-2007, 06:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Got new info after tear down. #'s 3,5,7 went lean and blew the ring lands. Went lean because the tining of the meth injection was set to slow. When everything was tuned, it was tuned in 4th gear. A slower gear than second. On the street, the tuner mashed it in second. The boost came on way faster than the STS kits he is used to. The meth was too late, and the motor went lean. The shop is taking full responcablility, and rebuilding the motor for only the cost of the stronger upgraded parts. No labor. I'm happy about that. But I still loose on the $1,300 worth of parts I was going to install on the car this week. (Harrop cover, 800 HP aliminum driveshaft, and Torco gear oil) Plus my labor to install. Now the owner can't afford it at this time. So, anybody need a driveshaft? If not, it's going in my car.

Peter, I will be talking to you soon about that. Thanks.
Old 11-28-2007, 03:45 PM
Staging Lane

Which driveshaft and how much?
Old 12-02-2007, 08:40 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by oct03gto
Got new info after tear down. #'s 3,5,7 went lean and blew the ring lands. Went lean because the tining of the meth injection was set to slow. When everything was tuned, it was tuned in 4th gear. A slower gear than second. On the street, the tuner mashed it in second. The boost came on way faster than the STS kits he is used to. The meth was too late, and the motor went lean. The shop is taking full responcablility, and rebuilding the motor for only the cost of the stronger upgraded parts. No labor. I'm happy about that. But I still loose on the $1,300 worth of parts I was going to install on the car this week. (Harrop cover, 800 HP aliminum driveshaft, and Torco gear oil) Plus my labor to install. Now the owner can't afford it at this time. So, anybody need a driveshaft? If not, it's going in my car.

Peter, I will be talking to you soon about that. Thanks.
Nice to hear your tuner took responsibility.

Tony, had no idea you went TT. Very nicely done.

-Ronnie
Old 12-02-2007, 11:08 PM
12 Second Club

That sucks to hear. I would try and get a discount of some sort on the labor. They are only doing the work cause they blew the motor
Old 12-03-2007, 02:24 PM
Teching In

Hey I like your install there. I'm from the land of the Holden Commodore and I was wondering did you import your front end from Australia?

Quick Reply: APS Twin-Turbo Installed (photos)