Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Questions bout GTo from a potential GTO owner..please help, thanks!

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 11:50 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nikeair042
fixing an automatic is more expensive, but how often do auto break if you drive it right? fixing my clutch in my WS6 with install was $2,100. If you drive an auto the way you should, you wont break anything. Im just debating between GTO and G6 GXP

dude someone ripped you off on the clutch and install...you can get a spec 3+ installed for around 1200 bucks, and the stock auto trans is fine until you start putting big power down. ive seen more threads on people blowing A4's than i can count, and rarely see a blown M6 even in 10 second cars...both will last if driven properly
Old 07-26-2007, 12:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ExTurbo
dude someone ripped you off on the clutch and install...you can get a spec 3+ installed for around 1200 bucks, and the stock auto trans is fine until you start putting big power down. ive seen more threads on people blowing A4's than i can count, and rarely see a blown M6 even in 10 second cars...both will last if driven properly
A 4L65E is stronger than a 4L60E. It can easily handle heads and a cam. Whereas that M6 will need a $1200 clutch. Then another. Then another. Most people will never make big power.
Old 07-26-2007, 02:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i did not want a spec clutch, they only last for so long, and the car wasnt a race car. I put a LUK in and it was worth every penny. No more manuals for me until I can have a every day car and a weekend car. unfortunately there is no sun roof on GTO and I wanted that with my next car. the WS6 had t-tops, but they were annoying and a pain to take in and out. it was annoying to pay $50 every 2 weeks for gas, and with the GTO I feel like I will be paying $50 a week for gas. Driving to work is bout 20 total for both ways, so I guess I could stretch it to 2 weeks. I just wish they looked a little less like a grand prix. the G6 may be a grand am, but they are one of pontiacs biggest and best sellers right now. I personally think it looks awesome. HP to weight ratio, the power difference between a TA and GXP I do not think would be over whelming. Its not like going from a TA to a Camry. 6 speed auto is really really nice, and the ability to manual shift it also is nice. GTO trunk space, can you fit golf clubs in there? I go golfing a lot and want to be able to hold golf bag and clubs.
Old 07-26-2007, 02:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i am not going to load a GTO up with HP. I would want to do some appearance mods (dont know how many this car has, not many), handling improvements, exhaust, Intake, and maybe like headers, but thats about it, not even sure bout headers. This isn't going to be a race car, its going to be a DD, which is why I want an A4. I am going to look at a Torrid Red one on saturday, A4, 2006. 0% financing now for 60 months is pretty sweet. I just wish that the car was under warranty like the 2007+ are with 10 year coverage, instead of 3 years/36,000 miles, thats pretty horrible.
Old 07-26-2007, 02:58 PM
10 Second Club

You can get a couple of sets of clubs in the trunk. I have a Callaway Tour bag and it fits just fine and can put another in if I have a playing partner. Get the GTO you will not regret it. m6 gets about 6-7 mpg better than the auto. I drive 20miles on the highway to work and average 27-30 mpg

GTO FOR THE WIN
Old 07-26-2007, 03:32 PM
TECH Regular

you can always put a sunroof in the car ive seen it done.
Old 07-26-2007, 03:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

dont they look dumb though? cause they dont line up like they do from the factory?
Old 07-26-2007, 04:01 PM
Teching In

5. Rain...no problem. Driving in the snow and ice is SCAIRY! I grew up in Michigan and have a ton of experience BUT with front-wheel drive.
Old 07-26-2007, 04:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yea thats the thing. main reason why I sold my TA was i didnt wanna drive it in snow. how is insurance on these cars? im 22 with no tickets (knock on wood). I had a V6 camaro, WS6 TA, and now I am driving the family plymouth dodge neon...big woopy
Old 07-26-2007, 05:28 PM
TECH Addict

yea thats the thing. main reason why I sold my TA was i didnt wanna drive it in snow. how is insurance on these cars? im 22 with no tickets (knock on wood). I had a V6 camaro, WS6 TA, and now I am driving the family plymouth dodge neon...big woopy
You really seem to dislike the GTO so I am not sure why you are posting about having one. Also you are even making analogies that seem... well... not very well thought out.

A few post back you say the WS6 got you two weeks and the GTO would probably get you one week before a fill up.

I get almost the same mpg with my GTO as I did my WS6.

You also say the GTO looks bad and like a grand prix but then say the G6 (even though it is like a grand am) looks good. In most people's opinions the G6 and GTO look very similiar and if we were voting on the better looking of a grand prix vs a grand am the grand prix would win as the GTO would win over a G6. Heck my wife saw a G6 and asked if it was a GTO

Like I said it seems to me that you are not a big fan of the GTO. If that is the case why even bother. I am sure you will be happy with a more fuel efficient G6 because your friends like it and you don't seem to have a lot of friends that are amiable to the GTO.
Old 07-27-2007, 07:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

^

My friends like it? Who cares? I never said anything bout caring bout people liking it. Dislike the GTO, no no. Interior wise it looks great. LS2 motor is a great motor. I just wish the exterior didn't look so blah. Looking at a G6 looks nothing like a grand am, idk how you can make that same generalization. If you needed a DD, to drive in rain, snow, ice, sleet, and also nice weather, get some good gas mileage, haul around a couple things in the trunk (nothing to big and crazy), would you choose the GTO? I am not going to the track with it 4 times a week. Its not that I do not like the GTO, I just would feel bad driving it in such crap weather here in NJ. Thats why I sold my WS6, but I still love those cars.

So, I do like the GTO, I just am not sure it's "practical." GTO doesn't look bad, it just isn't as "oh look at that thing" as the WS6 was. Appearence wise I think the G6 GXP looks cool, but thats my opinion. I dont see a connection between the GXP model and GTO. The G6's now look blah, but the GXP is fresh looking. But I still want to test drive and check out a GTO. Its a tough situation for me.
Old 07-27-2007, 08:42 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

My orange GTO/Monaro turns 100x more heads than my red WS6 did. It got a ton of compliments during Power Tour, especially on the paint.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:09 AM
On The Tree

Default gto

my gto gets much better mileage than my ta ever did, as far as looks rims and tint and a new hood make a world of difference. u can get body kits if u dot like the g6 look, people make that mistake with me all the time. I say it may look like a grand prix but i bet theres never been a grand prix run like it lol, those are people who dont know cars anyway lol
Old 07-27-2007, 10:31 AM
TECH Regular

X2 on the brazen orange turning all kinds of heads when your driving..at first the styling wasnt in my top 10 list either, but it grows on you and the performance of the car is more than enough to make me forget i used to not LOVE it...the GTO is subtle in its looks theres no doubt, but it doesnt take much to make it a very good looking car that has a little more of a classy, grown up look to it than the camaro/TA. just look at josh99ta's car, he has rims and some well placed paint and a lip spoiler and his car is gorgeous with VERY little done to the exterior. i daily drive my 6speed GTO (soon to be cammed 6 speed GTO) in NJ for almost a year with no issues other than when it snows (i have the summer tires from the factory) very reliable, very comfortable, and fast to boot. gas mileage really depends on your right foot and the trans, but theres no reason just driving to work and back that you have to fill up once a week. would a G6 be more practical? sure but it still only has 2 doors and no where near as comfortable as the GTO (trust me ive driven one) let alone the power factor. in the end the decision is up to you of course, it just seems like you've already made up your mind...
Old 07-27-2007, 11:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ok, next question, what bout color? Black is not an option. I hate that color on cars and will never buy one in that color. No purple either. A dealer by me has Silver, Orange, Red, Spice Red. My WS6 was Red, and I love the color. Only thing is that since it is not a Metallic color, it shows swirls marks easily. I had a metallic silver camaro V6, it looked brand new the paint. I think the metallic flakes help hide swirls and scratches. Silver is easy to keep clean, but I want my car to stand out, so i think that leaves red, spice red, and orange. Is the orange the same as the SOM from TA's and camaro's?
Old 07-27-2007, 12:47 PM
TECH Regular

Brazen orange metallic is the way to go my friend...very easy to keep clean and its an eye grabbing color, i love it and even after a year of having the car i havnt gotten tired of looking at it yet...its a lighter shade than the SOM heres some pictures in different light so you can get a good idea of how it looks.

Old 07-27-2007, 02:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

very nice. i think i am going to look at them today. Someone has a spoiler for this car that looks incredible. HSV 3 piece or something like that, its amazing. I also would want the factory body kit that they have, around front grill and sides as well as the grill inserts on the bumper
Old 07-27-2007, 03:06 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

look at the photo in my signature. Brazen Orange GTO vs Sunset Orange Firehawk. I like the Brazen Orange much better, especially in person.
Old 07-27-2007, 03:34 PM
TECH Regular

very nice. i think i am going to look at them today. Someone has a spoiler for this car that looks incredible. HSV 3 piece or something like that, its amazing. I also would want the factory body kit that they have, around front grill and sides as well as the grill inserts on the bumper
be prepared to spend some cash...you have expensive taste my friend...becasue the SAP appreance package has been discontiued from GM they are not only hard to come by but very expensive when you come across them...the HSV spoiler is also gonna cost some coin just like most things from HSV (HSV is like the AMG of mercedes)
Old 07-27-2007, 06:09 PM
teh PuRpL3z

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by C4 Silver Guy
Best thing about this car is that is relatively uncommon. Don't see one on every corner.
Unless you live in the Pacific Northwest...

They made 55,000 GTOs, and they sold 6800 of them up here. We had a cruise a few weeks ago, and 25 GTOs from '04-'06 showed up for it, there were only 2 colors produced that were not present on the cruise. I see more GTOs than F-bodies around here.

Quick Reply: Questions bout GTo from a potential GTO owner..please help, thanks!