Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

What do you guys think of GTO's

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 04:39 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it's a good car off the lot but a great car once properly modded.
Old 10-08-2007, 08:39 PM
11 Second Club

We like them, thats why we bought them.
Old 10-14-2007, 09:37 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 6LITEREATER
I keep reading this and to be honest it is garbae. My $400 MRC seats are better leather than what is in the wife's GTO.

Also, it's pretty obvious it is a dated car was well (in Australia) just new to us. If you want a daily driver it is definetely the way to go as it is just a much "softer" car. If you are into performance, definetely not the way to go

I disagree. Just because it has more room, weighs more, and is more comfortable then a lot of its competitors doesn't mean it can't smoke them in a race.

Its got an ls2 which we all know is an engine with very abundant potential from the start. Anyone who thinks the GTO is a (softer) car I think is clueless.
Old 10-14-2007, 10:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

i like both of mine very much but they serve different purposes.
Old 10-14-2007, 11:04 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by redgoat420
I disagree. Just because it has more room, weighs more, and is more comfortable then a lot of its competitors doesn't mean it can't smoke them in a race.

Its got an ls2 which we all know is an engine with very abundant potential from the start. Anyone who thinks the GTO is a (softer) car I think is clueless.
Track ET's don't lie (comparing a stock GTO to a stock F-Body)... Again, it's a GREAT daily driver for a car guy
Old 10-17-2007, 01:51 PM
11 Second Club

If you are into performance, definetly not the way to go

My car performs just fine. Twisties or straight-line...and I came from owning Corvettes.
Old 10-17-2007, 02:42 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by geeteego

My car performs just fine. Twisties or straight-line...and I came from owning Corvettes.
The stock GTO floats in the twisties (not horribly but definetly not a "performance" feel either) and straight line is retarded (compared just to a LS1 F-Body).

Again, you can do stuff to the boat, I mean GOAT , to make it better but out of the box I would say it is a great DD for a car guy (in other words it is fun) but would not call it a street menace (to anything other than some stock GT's and ricers) without some work.
Old 10-17-2007, 03:53 PM
11 Second Club

The stock GTO floats in the twisties (not horribly but definetly not a "performance" feel either) and straight line is retarded (compared just to a LS1 F-Body).

Again, you can do stuff to the boat, I mean GOAT , to make it better but out of the box I would say it is a great DD for a car guy (in other words it is fun) but would not call it a street menace (to anything other than some stock GT's and ricers) without some work.
Your prior statement was somewhat more of a "blanket". Now you add the "mod" factor. Mine is not anywhere near stock. Methinks you're just stirring up the pot to see what kind of reaction you'll get.
Old 10-17-2007, 07:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

I love mine, it's my second as I had an 04 and now the 06. My Monza will kill it in a straight line but the GTO just shines in every other aspect of owning a car. The F-body is a lot like the H-body (Monza/Vega) compared to the GTO. It shares the same rear suspension design and the same rattles and creaks when you drive it. I have owned several F-bodies (still do) and have had H-bodies since I could drive and they are a lot alike. If you drive a GTO, chances are you will buy one. It is that good.
Old 10-18-2007, 03:44 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by geeteego
Methinks you're just stirring up the pot to see what kind of reaction you'll get.
Nope. Just read a lot of hype (good and bad) on the GTO's since they came out. Finally got one (for the wife) and neither side was right.

They didn't completely suck... They are very nice cars, stout performers for their size.

They weren't a BMW though... Build quality is better than a Camaro and BARELY better (in some instances worse than both) than the Trans-Am (paint depth is HORRIBLE, corners cut on the interiors 05-06, retarded gremlins suchs as fan relay problems, etc...)

Again, if you want a car for all out performance this is not it. If you want a luxury sports car (like a BMW) this is not it.

If you want a nice daily driver that you can leave 90% of the factory cars on the road behind at the light and on the on ramps but can still drive across the country comfortably this is the car for you

Our trip back from Louissiana (to Cali) with her car was fantastic. Granted, her car has LT's, exhaust, CAI, etc... Again, this is referring to mostly stock cars though. Anyone can mod ANY car to be anything they want...
Old 10-18-2007, 12:30 PM
Teching In

It's a great comfortable car that still performs and puts a smile on the face.

I loved my 00SS and never wanted to get rid of it. The car was an animal considering the mods and rode/drove very raw.I always hated the interior and the retarded bump on the passenger side. After hundreds of passes and a popped motor I decided I wanted to walk away and avoid the mistake of throwing tons of cash into a depreciating asset.(smart move)

I traded in the SS for a 03 RCSB silverado with the 5.3(When I traded in the Camaro the F-Body was dead or I would have ended up with a WS6), The truck hauled *** and was fun after I lowered it and threw on some 20's.(Still missed the car)

2 Years later I traded the truck in on a 04 Vette. The vette was amazing with the added power of the maggie(11.6@121). The ride was very nice and the handling was very crisp.The interior was sub par for a 50K car and the stereo was terrible.I moved 40 miles from work and absolutely hated the 1.5 hour commute in the 6speed car. I made a smart desision and sold the car while it was still ultra clean for good $$$. I still miss the car and the awe factor that followed it but I don't miss sitting in traffic rowing gears.

I have had my A4 06 GTO for about 7 months now and I really enjoy the car. Interior is very nice and the ride is comfortable and quiet. I think the stereo is 10X better than the vette after I tweaked the factory amp. I really only miss the vette on back roads and freeway races.The LS2 performs great and I feel like the car pulls very well after the tune,I also thing the car handles fairly well considering it's weight.(I hate the car from a 80mph roll and hope the fuddle 3200 I am installing will help that).

I still like F-Bodys but could never own one for daily driving duties after owning the vette and GTO. They are raw and rough in a positive way but I just don't have the desire to be rattled to death.
Old 10-23-2007, 03:56 PM
Teching In

One test drive and you'll be sold. I loved the Ls1 engine design and performance but would never own a "F" body due to it's design and personality. I've always been a A-body and G-body owner, and the 2006 GTO is miles above any previous GM offerings, you can't go wrong.
Old 10-23-2007, 04:31 PM
TECH Regular

i absolutly HATED my GTO!!!!! i had an 04 black with red interior... they ride good interior is very nice bt the 04's are slow as ****... i went through 3 sets of tires within a year because of a terrible design on the IRS burning the inside part of tires and not the outside... the car had its good and bads the 05 are alot better if they were out when i bought mine i may still have it bt the IRS is still a problem... you can only fit a 275 on the back if you roll the fender lip with a roller witch sucks my vette came with 275 stock... they do ride very good and the interior was very comfortable and well designed... if you wanted a goat i would def get a 05 or 06.. i bought and 01 C5 coupe and absolutly love the car will own a corvette forever infact im about to get a 06 C6 Z51 but i don't regret owning the GTO i had it almost a year also a good friend of mine got a 05 GTO and he beat me good so i couldn't have that either so i got the vette and beat his 05 GTO with my 01 C5
Old 10-23-2007, 08:45 PM
Banned

Just got the wife's back from paint (put an 05 hood on her 04). Again, it is a VERY nice car for a daily driver, I was very happy to get back behind the wheel of her.

Although, there just isn't the raw muscle car feel (nor power in stock trim) that the F-Body (at least my modded F-Body) has. I like her car a lot, I like mine alot also. Both for very different reasons...

Luckily, I don't have to choose between which one to own, just which one to drive on a given day
Old 10-26-2007, 12:10 AM
Teching In

Default Goat

It is a great car (the GTO), I've had them all except a Corvette. I loved the 86 and 89 Z28 Camaro, 02 Mustang GT, 04 Cobra and now the 06 Goat. They all are different, each one having something that we're looking for at the time. I will say I've never been completely happy until I've made the changes that I felt each car needed. After that any car can be what you want it to be. Take a test drive and then think of all the things you'll be doing to it! Have fun with it!
Old 10-28-2007, 03:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

the f-body and GTO are both completely different. I owned a 01ss, modded 99ss, 04 bolton gto, and now a 04 408 TT 1100rwhp GTO. Both completely different. But honestly IMHO i will never go back to a 4th gen or below. Maybe a 1st gen when i get older. The GTO might run a .4 seconds slower at the track but unless the car is a strictly track car get a GTO. Everything all around is better. The only thing i miss about my camaro's is weight. Dont get me i loved them but i love the GTO sooooooo much more. The quality inside and out is 500000000X better than the camaro. And for people that said the technology on the GOAT is outdated well the aussies outdated technology is 50X better than our "current (98-02)" f-body technology.
Old 10-29-2007, 01:22 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by camaross305
the f-body and GTO are both completely different. I owned a 01ss, modded 99ss, 04 bolton gto, and now a 04 408 TT 1100rwhp GTO. Both completely different. But honestly IMHO i will never go back to a 4th gen or below. Maybe a 1st gen when i get older. The GTO might run a .4 seconds slower at the track but unless the car is a strictly track car get a GTO. Everything all around is better. The only thing i miss about my camaro's is weight. Dont get me i loved them but i love the GTO sooooooo much more. The quality inside and out is 500000000X better than the camaro. And for people that said the technology on the GOAT is outdated well the aussies outdated technology is 50X better than our "current (98-02)" f-body technology.
That says it all, right there.
Old 10-29-2007, 09:06 AM
11 Second Club

Love or hate the styling, it isn't polarizing. Dull but still attractive. That said, the look has some long-term life to it....unlike the f-bodies.

Weight might be an issue, but, it's all in the structure....unlike the f-bodies.

4 useable seats....unlike the f-bodies.

panel gaps, both interior and exterior measured in MM not inches....unlike the f-bodies.

I can go on and on. F-bodies are fantastic cars that will be the track car of choice LONG into the future. Simple, light(er), solid rear, and cheap to build. Stock they were tough to live with, but, once built they are best left to the track.

GTOs are so easy to live with and are built to last.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:52 PM
Banned

^^Only thing I'm not getting is the built to last part. They have only been around 3 years and already have big longevity problems (axles, interior falls apart, paint flakes off, etc...).

Not sure where you're getting that one from...
Old 10-29-2007, 03:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Talking

Originally Posted by slick1851
Put the aussie badass looking bumper on it, and then it ***** on a 4th gen in looks

And with a badass interior
Better than a lowered dark colored WS6....Nope.

Quick Reply: What do you guys think of GTO's