Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

2-step my APS Goat

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 11:26 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 2-step on the shifts

With only using a clutch switch connection the 2-step will be triggered every time you shift (assuming the engine rpm is above your rpm set point). This means it will cut cylinders/reduce torque on the shifts.

The one customer that tested it did wide open throttle shifts, letter the 2-step trigger on each shift and he said it worked very well. He was very confident that the 2-step actually helped the WOT shifts (probably by reducing torque momentarily).

Jason

Originally Posted by karthalin
So with using the clutch switch only, they managed to use it with no problem? Sounds good...

Just to re-cap, with the clutch switch the 2-step will be engaged everytime the clutch is pressed down to the floor, correct? As long as you are not letting the engine RPMs fall to below the launch RPMs and not flat footing you will be fine. I like it if people are getting it to work.
Old 10-01-2007, 09:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Triggering it during shifts might not be such a bad idea for us who are scared of the whole WOT shift thing lol. You should make the PnP wiring harness available to us who ordered a two-step two days ago and missed this post
Old 10-01-2007, 09:21 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Jason Haines @ LPE
We still expect to have 2 of the vehicle speed based relay controllers done early this week for testing that as a method to turn off the 2-step once the car is moving.

BTW - we should have 10 more ready to ship out Monday or Tuesday.

Jason

I like the idea of a speed relay myself.. I would like to leave with about 4 psi of boost (why I want it LOL) and still be able to power shift the 2-3 and 3-4 shift..

also thanks for looking out for us GTO owners some of us are trying to make these pigs fly..
Old 10-01-2007, 10:20 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Default wiring harness

The plug and play part of our harness is the coil pack connector side. Because of all of the different trigger methods and the different vehicles, the activation portion is not plug-n-play. We don't have pre-made interface harnesses for the activation side although we are looking into doing one for the clutch switch.

The updated installation instructions include wiring diagrams for:
-clutch switch actuation
-clutch switch with line-lock
-clutch switch with line-lock and nitrous
-AT with line-lock
-AT with line-lock and nitrous

The PDF is too big to attach to this message so send me your email via PM or traditional email and I can email you a copy of the new instructions.

Jason

Originally Posted by WS6 GreeN
Triggering it during shifts might not be such a bad idea for us who are scared of the whole WOT shift thing lol. You should make the PnP wiring harness available to us who ordered a two-step two days ago and missed this post
Old 10-08-2007, 09:29 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Default Vehicle speed based 2-step disable

A customer installed the speed based 2-step disable box on Friday. Although he didn't make it to the track in time to test it at the track, he did test it and it worked as planned. He used the 1 mph disable setting. This customer used it in conjunction with the clutch switch. Nobody has tested the speed based disable by itself yet.

We have one more in stock for testing and then we should have around 6 more ready later in the week.

We are making some additional changes to the software so that it can also be used to disable or enable other things at higher speeds (originally it was set up for just 1-15 mph in 1 mph increments). The new software will allow settings of up to 250 mph in 10 mph increments (and also the 1-15 mph in 1 mph increments).

BTW - we had another customer with a GTO AT test the 2-step using the brake switch to enable it and that worked very well for him. He brake torques the car on the line (turbo GTO) and then just releases the foot brake and the 2-step disables. We will probably add this wiring diagram soon.

[I just realized that if I change my sig file, it changes my sig in every post I have made in the past. I didn't realize it would do that. I hope my sig isn't too long. Back in the day of text only Internet it was considered bad form to have a long sig.]
Old 10-19-2007, 06:12 AM
11 Second Club

i was thinking about a way to trigger this with a couple of buddies from work. a thought that came to mind is a delay on relay. set it to something like 1-2 seconds. put a prox switch or microswitch on the clutch pedal for the signal. i was thinking somewhere up high so it's close to the pivot point.

when the car is staged the clutch will be engaged for more than 1-2 seconds, thus activating the "two step", but on shifts the switch will not be made long enough to activate it. just a thought.
Old 10-20-2007, 07:21 AM
11 Second Club

casey,

did you get to run it at the track before they closed?
we gotta get together, I need to hear this thing.
Old 12-17-2007, 10:18 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Default Spark retard function

I thought people might want to know that we added a spark retard function to the 2-step so now it can retard timing (up to 10 degrees) for more boost off the line in turbo vehicles or reduced timing when your nitrous is triggered.

This was a software upgrade to our existing 2-step so if you are an existing Lingenfelter 2-step owner (LNC-001), you can send your box in for a software upgrade.

The revised instructions should be on our web site within 24 hours (and are already in our eBay store). They explain the new software operation. The instructions are a PDF so you can download them as well.
Old 12-21-2007, 04:21 AM
11 Second Club

Casey - "karthalin"

you should post up a review:
include any issues you ran into with the install

how it sounds, feels.

and a video with sound.
Old 01-08-2008, 01:14 AM
On The Tree

This is interesting. Whats the latest word on this?
Old 01-08-2008, 02:39 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Default launch controller

We are now shipping the launch controllers with the spark retard function and we can now also upgrade existing launch controllers to the spark retard function.

Originally Posted by Kurt
This is interesting. Whats the latest word on this?
Old 01-09-2008, 02:04 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Jason Haines @ LPE
We are now shipping the launch controllers with the spark retard function and we can now also upgrade existing launch controllers to the spark retard function.
What about the MPH disable with the speed to voltage converter box?
Old 01-09-2008, 10:37 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Default MPH switch (mph diable)

Kurt,

Sorry about that. I wasn't completely sure what you were asking about.

We shipped some of the mph switches (STOV-001) out late last year. I think at least one person on this forum installed it on his vehicle. We are currently out of the mph switches but we do have another batch in production.

The installation instructions aren't done so we don't have the product listed on our web site or in our eBay store until I get those completed (so I am the hold up, as usual). This can be used to disable the launch controller once you have exceeded a certain speed. This can be done in combination with a clutch switch or you could possible use it by itself or with a toggle switch (launch controller always active when vehicle not moving and rpm above some value). I think everyone that has installed the MPH switch with a launch controller has done so in combination with a clutch switch. I don't know of anyone that has tried to use it with a launch controller without also connecting to the clutch switch.

The STOV-001 can act as a MPH switch (similar to an rpm switch) on most GM newer GM vehicles that have the a 4000 pulse per mile (ppm) output from the ECM. The Corvette, GTO, Camaro, Firebird etc. have this output signal.

The STOV-001 can also act as a speed to voltage converter so you can input a vehicle speed to devices nitrous controllers and boost controllers that need a 0-5 volt input. It also has a simulated gear change switch output mode to provide simulated gear shift "switches" that some boost controllers need to change stages.

The STOV-001 right now is only designed to work with the 4000 pulse per mile type vehicle speed outputs from a GM ECM but we have room in the software and the switch positions to add other speed inputs other common speed sensor inputs exist.

Originally Posted by Kurt
What about the MPH disable with the speed to voltage converter box?
Old 04-28-2008, 07:02 AM
Teching In

Wow, sorry about not responding to this thread. After the track closed I kind of shut down all thoughts on the goat and racing..

I have installed the LNC-001 and the STOV-001. I have not raced it at a track yet. I have the limit set to when the clutch is engaged (clutch switch) AND the MPH is under 1 MPH. I do have a video of my RPMs and boost gauge when I am at a stop and I rev the engine. Right now, the RPMS jump to 4K, the car shudders a little bit as it cuts the ignition and the boost builds. I love it! On the street, it works exactly as advertised. At the momment, there is ZERO backfire in my car. This is only at a rest, I have not dropped the clutch and launched, so I dont know what it will sound like at the track. I can post the video from inside the car when this two-step engages as soon as I get back home later this week.

It works EXACTLY as advertised. I even had the installer call Jason at LPE and he was more than willing to help with the install of the STOV. It is plug an play for the most part. The STOV had to be hard wired in however.

I *should* be going to the track on Saturday, May 3rd. If I do there will be videos that I will post here. Both from inside the car and from outside the car. I might even make it to the track on Friday, so I can post them a day early.

Again, sorry for my absence from here. I should have responded earlier, especially since Jason really helped me out a lot with getting the kit to me and with the install. Stay tuned for a full review with videos!
Old 04-30-2008, 07:52 AM
Launching!

I too am very satisfied with this product...to add to your thread.

Used it 2x now at the track, I don't build boost just use for consistent launches on my m6 car. Wired in with the clutch switch and a relay..and it's active between shifts too.
Old 04-30-2008, 11:32 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by A_VAS
I too am very satisfied with this product...to add to your thread.

Used it 2x now at the track, I don't build boost just use for consistent launches on my m6 car. Wired in with the clutch switch and a relay..and it's active between shifts too.
How long have u been drag racing? How long have you been drag racing the goat?

The goat is my first drag car ever. I went to the track and ran a 14.008 after the turbos were installed. Thats right. Slower than stock. Lets just say my stock wheels were not too happy the first 60 yards.

Anyway, I suck at staging. I was trying to figure out how to launch my car over the course of 3 months, and NEVER got it down. I logged my launchs and was anywhere in between 4k and 6k. I was revving the engine, then looking at the tree, then seeing that engine go to 6K, so I let off the gas, then looked at the tree and the tree was counting down so I put the gas pedal down furhter and looked at the tach and then the RPMS were too low so I pushed the petal more and the RPMS jumped and I looked at the tree and it was on the third green and I yelled f*ck and dropped the clutch!

*pant* *pant* *pant* Basically I couldnt get the car to hold the RPMs with my foot while watching the tree. My friends say it comes with experience. So I bought a 2-step

We will see in 2 days if I can launch consistently. I cant wait!
Old 05-01-2008, 08:10 AM
Launching!

karthalin,
Your description is exactly why I bought the unit. Too much going on, and you basically have to set rpm by sound so you can watch the tree.
I used to set my shift light at say 4500rpm or whatever I wanted to launch at..then try to watch it out of the corner of my eye while the lights came down. 2 step is the shiznit.

I been racing the goat since last June when I bought it...overall about 8 years. This is the first stick car I've drag raced though.
Old 05-02-2008, 11:50 PM
Teching In

I ran the two step tonight. Too tired to post videos, I will do it this weekend with a better review. It performed FLAWLESSLY and I now have a new PB, pretty much all thanks to the 2-step. I am very, very happy with it
Old 05-03-2008, 08:55 AM
Launching!

BTW, I have started full on power shifting the 2-3 and 3-4 with this unit, and it works flawlessly for that too. I think it definately helps if you wanna power shift. Maybe part of it is mental for me...no worries about over revving now dunno.
Old 05-03-2008, 10:17 AM
Teching In

Heres a link to two videos. One is inside the car with a look at the tach and boost gauge. The other is a video of my racing, You can hear the 2-step kicking in and also the car does backfire. Its not horrible backfire, but its there. As expected.

Inside the Car:

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/2...ion_159852.htm

Race Vid:

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/C...vid_159851.htm

Quick Reply: 2-step my APS Goat