Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

Pretty loud knock coming from engine

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 12:23 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pretty loud knock coming from engine

06 GTO

My CEL came up a few days ago on my way to work. I left early to take it to my neighbors shop to see what the code was and before I made it (about 25-30 miles of driving after the light came on) the engine started making a knocking sound. I changes with RPM (whether it's moving or not) so I'm sure it's the engine.

It sounds like it doesnt have enough oil pressure but the oil light didnt come on and it has oil (about 1/8" below full on the dipstick). I have put almost 2000 miles on the car with the mods listed in my signature without any issues. The light came on right after making a 1st to 4th shift traveling at roughly 20mph. The code came up as lean condition detected.

I havent drained the oil. I removed all the after market parts with the exception of the CAI and cat back system in the hopes it will be easier to get it covered under warranty.

Any ideas on what may have happened given the weak description I have?

Oh, I have a wideband on the car with an Autometer gauge that always reads on the rich side of stoich (1-3 lights from rich depending on the weather). Apparently my wideband lies or one of the factory o2s has failed. Is it possible to wire the wideband incorrectly and having it read backwards (ie lean side shows up as being rich)?
Old 11-06-2007, 04:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Might have the dreded LS2 (if that's what you have) oil consumption problem. Remove the CAI. Most dealers see it, and will void the warranty. The catback is fine.
Old 11-06-2007, 05:09 PM
Teching In

Car doesnt consume oil at all. They cant void the warranty because of the CAI from what I understand but I removed it regardless.

Last edited by madweazl; 11-06-2007 at 05:40 PM.
Old 11-06-2007, 08:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You will be surprised what a CAI can void. Trust me, don't let them see it at all!!!!!

Not using oil is a good thing. Might be as simple as a bad rocker arm, or lifter.
Old 11-07-2007, 05:35 PM
Staging Lane

Good thing is your under warranty. If it really did go lean though, could have caused some piston cylinder damage. Let us know what they find out.
Old 11-07-2007, 05:50 PM
Teching In

Probably be another week before I can get it in. The plugs good, definitely not too lean on the cylinders I've checked. I'll go through them all tomorrow to see if I can find anything. The car wasnt down on power and wasnt missing on any of the cylinders when I shut it down so nothing is catastrophic, yet anyways lol.