Pontiac GTO 2004-2006 The Modern Goat

2004 goats just wanna know

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2007, 08:14 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2004 goats just wanna know

alright not trying to start a war but i keep hearing stories of 04 gto's going down to pretty much stock f-bodies. i just wanna see how many of you are out there.......
i myself has yet to lose to a z-28 or a regular firebird/trans am. as for an ss never had the oportunity to run one. i did however run into what looked like a ws6 but after we raced from a dig it led me to believe that the guy just put on a hood and wing.
i did race a z in florida that gave me a really good run for my money but i edged him out in the end. my car was bone stock and the z had a lid exh and a couple other things. from a dig it was game over for him but from a roll we ran neck and neck me barley having him every time. i know my car is not special cause when i was in san angelo my uncle lost to a ws6 in my car. dont know if the ws6 was stock or not.

other than ss/ws6 how many guys keep losing to z28's and regular trans am/firebirds..........
Old 11-10-2007, 03:56 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 432 Likes on 307 Posts

Let's see, us '04 guys started with the EXACT same powerplant as the cars you mention, but with no traction and a significant weight penalty. It kind of makes it hard to keep up if you stay stock (good thing I never planned to stay stock).
Old 11-10-2007, 04:25 AM
Launching!

Stock vs stock on average an LS1 F-bod is stronger than the LS1 GTO. The underrated F-Bods dyno around the same or more than a LS1 GTO and they're lighter. Plus they launch much better with the live rear axle. It's still close enough to be a driver's race. A great driver in an LS1 GTO 6 spd vs an average driver an a LS1 F-bod equals a great race. The LS2 GTO's though have proven to be stronger on top end.
Old 11-10-2007, 02:33 PM
12 Second Club

i am asking for pesonal exp.. not what everyone assumess that is the whole point of this thread........

i have read this over and over i have yet to hear a person who drives an 04 come out and say it. like i said i have had no problems taking several z-28's and firebirds, and i myself only had the chance once to play with a ws6 but after reading comments like these has led me to believe that he just made it look like one.

i know my car is not a freak cause when my bro had his we ran neck and neck, and it was pretty much whoever got the jump won. now he has an 06m6 im still rocking the 04.

so what i wanna know is how many people have actually lost, i know its hard to find a stock z now a days, my bro told me he had his *** handed to him in his 06 by an ss. doesnt know if was stock or not but he said it definately had exh......
Old 11-10-2007, 02:38 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by gametech
Let's see, us '04 guys started with the EXACT same powerplant as the cars you mention, but with no traction and a significant weight penalty. It kind of makes it hard to keep up if you stay stock (good thing I never planned to stay stock).
no traction what are you launching at 5k rpm..... i know we have small tires but i dont think i have had more wheel spin than most cars i have raced.....

dont get me wrong i have been spanked alot....... vettes,m3's,bikes,ls2gto's hell even a early 90's formula, and a g35. now i know the g35 wasnt stock cause i sprayed on him and he still left me a good two cars(freaking houston). i think if i lived in a bigger city i might get more seat time with these cars.
Old 11-10-2007, 05:22 PM
TECH Resident

The only difference between a SS and a Z28 is a few appearence mods, same with the trans am/WS6. They all had the same motor and trans, but depending on year rear end gear ratios may have been different. TARNATIC is correct with what he stated. Only advantage we have is slightly better gearing in our t56 6spd, and the IRS for handling corners. Otherwise, we are kind of at a disadvantage. Our heavier weight and narrow rear tires give them the upper hand.

While I have beaten a full bolt-on 02 stang GT, I lost to a 01 formula by 2 cars at 90 mph. All I had was a catback at the time for both races. And yes, I do launch at 5K rpms. Thats what 275 nittos are for.
Old 11-10-2007, 08:47 PM
12 Second Club

so what your saying is the people that paid extra for the ss got ripped off..... plus for a gt i destroy those guys all the time even the new ones...... i did lose to an 05 that had intake headers and exh with a tune but when we raced from a dig i raped him out of the box. but from a roll he had a steady pull,

i look at times on drag times and see fbodys running low 13's with mods not bonestock. granted our cars do high 13's hell even 14's.
Old 11-10-2007, 08:49 PM
12 Second Club

doesnt matter much now..... i have some goodies under the hood

had to with the new challenger coming out
Old 11-10-2007, 10:03 PM
Rob
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As stated above, the engines are identical. Same cam, heads, intake, etc. So they make the same power. The weight issue is kind of offset by the better gearing in the GTO. We have the equivilent to 3.90 gears in an F-Body, except 4th of course.

It takes a lot of practice to launch a goat on the stock BFG's. I was able to get consistent 1.9x out of mine on the last outing being stock. Ran a couple of 13.2x and very low 13.3x times that day, best being 13.25. There are still a few that ran 13.1x stock and I think I could have gotten there also had I not started modding.

Is the F-Body quicker? Probably most of time giving the same driver in each car. It's a good race though.
Old 11-11-2007, 12:15 AM
Teching In

killed all ss i have raced
Old 11-11-2007, 01:03 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by jamesSS
The only difference between a SS and a Z28 is a few appearence mods, same with the trans am/WS6.
lol, ws6 is a suspension/ram air package? that sway bars and alot of those little suspension things are differet...fyi haha ss is at least the ram air package too if not suspension also
Old 11-11-2007, 02:41 AM
12 Second Club

well i guess the reason i asked was that every person automatically assumes they are going to beat me as soon as i tell them its an ls1 gto. granted i am grateful for this cause i have got alot more races this way, and come out on top too... lol

but as soon as i got a cam and some exh..... now nobody wants none. my car is still pretty slow but i guess its the sound that scares them.
Old 11-11-2007, 04:14 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by khaos288
lol, ws6 is a suspension/ram air package? that sway bars and alot of those little suspension things are differet...fyi haha ss is at least the ram air package too if not suspension also
Correct but bigger sway bars and different shocks and a different hood isnt going to turn a turd into racer. If anything all those needless options would have added weight to the car which would have thus slowed it down further(as oposed to say a stripper z28). And those ram air hoods are a joke. While they looked nice, they didnt do much for performance. So yes, anyone who paid for a WS6 or SS, basicly bought an apperance package.
Old 11-11-2007, 05:50 PM
12 Second Club

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

i have a buddy with a 04 gto and he let me drive it a few times..its a nice car but was definately slower then mine was stock. As for the ss and ws6 thing it basically was a rip off because the only differences are the hood and a few suspension tweaks. As stated before most of the time the GTO will be slower due to the extra weight and IRS but even with those disadvantages they aren't that much slower
Old 11-12-2007, 06:12 AM
11 Second Club

Take all the branded nut swinging bullshit away, and it reads like this:

Lighter weight with same power > heavier weight.

If it doesn't turn out that way, driver mod ***.

/thread.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:53 AM
10 Second Club

In my 04 the only car I have lost to is a APS twin turboed GTO (badly) and Sport bikes. I have yet to find the newest Z06 to take me down. I have taken down the old Z06 and am hoping to run into the newest monster sometime. But I am not stock either
Old 11-12-2007, 11:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

I walked all over two highschool kids in a LS1 trans am just the other day in my 100% bone stock 04' GTO. Drive must have been awful, was too busy trying to keep the car straight with 2500 rpm launch on 245 all seasons to see what really happened but I'd say 1/2 a car length by the top of 2nd gear the GTO held its own. I continued to talk **** to the kids at the next stop light, "STILL HAS A PAPER AIR FILTER".
Old 11-12-2007, 11:58 AM
11 Second Club

On the street means sh*t. Too many variables. To claim a victory holds little water IMHO....and it's dangerous/stupid to even try.

On the track is what matters. Controlled environment. There's little chance an LS1 GTO will win over an 01-02 F-body at comprable power levels and tire. Little chance.

I have an 04 M6 GTO that NEEDED a Maggie to keep up with an F-body on the track. 3,800 pounds needs alot of low end to truly launch well. I would NEVER spend thousands of dollars just to keep up with them though.
Old 11-12-2007, 02:30 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by CABRO
i am asking for pesonal exp.. not what everyone assumess that is the whole point of this thread........

i have read this over and over i have yet to hear a person who drives an 04 come out and say it. like i said i have had no problems taking several z-28's and firebirds, and i myself only had the chance once to play with a ws6 but after reading comments like these has led me to believe that he just made it look like one.

i know my car is not a freak cause when my bro had his we ran neck and neck, and it was pretty much whoever got the jump won. now he has an 06m6 im still rocking the 04.

so what i wanna know is how many people have actually lost, i know its hard to find a stock z now a days, my bro told me he had his *** handed to him in his 06 by an ss. doesnt know if was stock or not but he said it definately had exh......
I've seen it personally and on videos. All things being equal the LS1 F-bod's are quicker than the LS1 GTO's. The LS2 GTO's make up the difference and are a little quicker than the F-Bods.
Old 11-12-2007, 02:48 PM
Staging Lane

Cabro, I'm sure you will be in Fort Worth some time. When you come down let me know. I had an 04 GTO and stock for stock an F-body will pull it. Now that you got yourself a cam I say lets line em up. I have an SS camaro with full exhaust and a lid. What do you think?

Quick Reply: 2004 goats just wanna know