Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Tow / Recovery Hooks

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2008 | 11:54 PM
Staging Lane

Default Tow / Recovery Hooks

I wan't to go out and do some track days, but they are suggesting that the cars have tow hooks. Has anyone mounted a front or rear recovery hook to their Firebird / TA or Camaro? If so do you have any pics? Where did you mount it?
Old 11-01-2008 | 01:12 AM
FormerVendor

Default tow hooks

Look up a guy over on corvetteforum named trackboss, he is selling a strap type, very nice quality, tell him I sent you. He is marketing them for C5, but you could remove your bumpers and take some measurements and he would probably just sew some for you the length you need.

Take care,
Old 11-01-2008 | 08:24 AM
TECH Addict

key word is 'suggesting'. correct me if im wrong, but im 95% sure installing a tow hook, anywhere, will require CUTTING a slot through your bumpers. so unless youre making it a dedicated race car, or happen to have some spare junk bumper covers around, i wouldnt bother with it.
Old 11-01-2008 | 08:54 AM
On The Tree

^^^^^^^^ What he said...... If that is your car in your sig I would not want to hack it up.
Old 11-01-2008 | 02:53 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah I do not want to hack the bumpers, I was hoping maybe someone had come up with a way to mount sometime behind the front plate that could be hidden.
Old 11-01-2008 | 03:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Is that front plate cover hollow in the back? If it is, I would think that you coudl make a bracket off of the impact beam and have it so you can just pull off the cover and bolt the actual tow hoop right on.

Let me check out a few things on my friends car and try to get back to everyone on this.

-Tim
Old 11-01-2008 | 04:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

There's a big foam block behind the nose cover to help support the nose.

On a TA, a flat piece of stock attached to the impact beam (metal) and slid out the fog light hole works well. It will do the job towing you back to the pits, but I wouldn't use it to tug me out of a sand/gravel trap.
Old 11-01-2008 | 04:31 PM
TECH Addict

is this the area strong enough to attach a hook?

Old 11-01-2008 | 04:36 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 98BlackT/A
Yeah I do not want to hack the bumpers, I was hoping maybe someone had come up with a way to mount sometime behind the front plate that could be hidden.

are you looking to go out to Willow Springs? and i take it your looking at speed ventures?

let me know if you're interested in going through the canyons, i go with some WRX guys and also a couple other fbody guys. i might be doing streets of willow in December. i've been on both tracks and love the streets bc it pretty technical
Old 11-01-2008 | 04:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SIK02SS
is this the area strong enough to attach a hook?

Keep it as far to the outside edge as possible, next to the frame horn.
Old 11-01-2008 | 06:13 PM
Staging Lane

[QUOTE=SIK02SS;10402685]are you looking to go out to Willow Springs? and i take it your looking at speed ventures?

let me know if you're interested in going through the canyons, i go with some WRX guys and also a couple other fbody guys. i might be doing streets of willow in December. i've been on both tracks and love the streets bc it pretty technical[/QUOT

Yes, I have done a few autocrosses with Speedventures, and I want to run California opps I mean AutoClub Speedway the week before Thanksgiving, they are running the road course with part of the speedway thrown in.

Quick Reply: Tow / Recovery Hooks