Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

AutoX Frustration!

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 08:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default AutoX Frustration!

This is my second time out and I'm not having an easy time breaking my previous times, same course from last month.

I thought I had tire pressures down but I'm still trying to find a good balance.

Last time out I kept it at 38 Front and 32 Rear...Street Tires.

Rear was not catching enough traction and the front kept understeering in the hair pins.

THis time out I dropped them more 36 Front and 30 Rear. Starting to feel better, but they only give so much..

It's frustrating seeing other riders knock seconds off while I'm stuck in the same times..

For comparison an 06 BMW M3 is kicking my *** by 2 seconds, he's on street tires too.

An 07 SRT charger is doing the same but he's on Nitto's.

I guess it's the driver mod....
Old 06-06-2009, 10:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You will plateau numerous times in your racing career. Don't be discouraged ... keep trying.

See you in August?
Old 06-07-2009, 07:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

See you in August?
I'm going to try...

Yesterday was the practice session, today is the actual time posts.

I'm not giving up yet, if I can knock 1 second off my times, I'll be happy

I'm so tempted to make the dip and get some nice compound rubber...mostly everyone out there is on some sort of compound.

the current street tires aren't going to last another 2 sessions I think.
Old 06-07-2009, 04:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well the stock clutch didnt like the heat today....

My second session didnt go well, it slipped bad after 4 runs. I called it a day and although I only beat my previous time by 300th of second its still something..

Right before it slipped I found a spot on the course I was giving up some speed and I didnt get a chance to exploit it.

THere was a sweeper I was not shifting into 3rd previously, 2nd worked but I was running out of gear towards the end.

Oh well.... I think I'm putting autox'ing on hold until I get the new LS7 clutch combo in and do some maintenance. Gotta change out the valve springs soon too. They been in for over 3 years and they were already used...yikes!

It's ok cuz it's getting way too hot down here in south TX...I think thats what added to the clutch slipping today. On a side note the stock PS cooler I installed is holding up fine.

I dont think I'll be back out until September....

Before the end of the day I went for a ride in the Charger SRT 8...this guy has some Nittos on it...wow made me really fell how much my street tires are holding me back.

He hit the sweeper so fast I thought we were going to slip for sure...that **** held!!!!!

Fun FUn stuff.. oh well no compounds for me till I get more seat time.
Old 06-08-2009, 04:29 AM
ZV8
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your trying to stay in the street tire class look up some Falken Azenis RT-615 or Nitto NT05. They have a 200AA UTQG rating and are badass on an autocross course or road course at a reasonable price of under $200 a tire.
Old 06-09-2009, 02:53 PM
Vik
Staging Lane

Ive gotta say, compound is something that any autox driver should consider a must.

Oh, I just read that you are in south texas. Are you going to the SCCA autocross at the gulf greyhound park in La Marque?
Old 06-09-2009, 03:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Are you going to the SCCA autocross at the gulf greyhound park in La Marque
I didnt know about it....when is it? Maybe to spectate, I got work to do and money to spend on the car before I go out again..

I want to make sure the pesky imports get a taste of what these cars can do...
Old 06-09-2009, 03:56 PM
Vik
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 2000Z28M6
I didnt know about it....when is it? Maybe to spectate, I got work to do and money to spend on the car before I go out again..

I want to make sure the pesky imports get a taste of what these cars can do...
Its one the first sunday of every month. All kinds of people show up for the autox meet from high-end Vipers or early 90's Mercury Cougars. Brand new cars straight from the lot and completely rebuilt 2nd gen Firebirds. Its a great event.

I thought you were there last sunday as I saw a slightly modded late model Black Camaro there. It actually ran in the fourth heat with my friend and I.
Old 06-09-2009, 04:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

I thought you were there last sunday as I saw a slightly modded late model Black Camaro there. It actually ran in the fourth heat with my friend and I.
Na, I run locally in Corpus Christi. They have a local SCCA autox session every Sunday of the month too.

Appreciate the heads up!
Old 06-09-2009, 05:15 PM
Vik
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 2000Z28M6
Na, I run locally in Corpus Christi. They have a local SCCA autox session every Sunday of the month too.

Appreciate the heads up!
Yea, Thats what C.C. stood for. lol. I thought maybe Clear Creek. Ok, well maybe we'll come to that SCCA meet a time later on. We run a 92 Vette mostly stock and an 02 Z28 sleeper with sig mods.

Quick Reply: AutoX Frustration!