Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Chassis Integrity of a C5 Vert

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2009 | 07:01 PM
Teching In

Default Chassis Integrity of a C5 Vert

Alright im looking for my first endeavor into the vette world, im new to vettes but not to cars, i own a 87 5.0 that i road race/auto-x on available time, for my next car im looking for a street/course weekend warrior that i can drive around town and have fun with but still be able to make the driver trailer-less and enjoy some auto-x/road course action and drive home, so here is my question
I have found a C5 vette that has moderate engine work done to it within my price range, but the car is a convertible, i dont mind verts as long as the chassis integrity isn't compromised and i wont have to do a great deal of chassis stiffening beyond the norm (subframes STB etc) do the vettes suffer the same chassis flex the mustang verts do? all help is appreciated
Old 12-02-2009 | 03:17 PM
TECH Addict

go to corvetteforum.com for best information

personally though, I wouldn't want a car that has a modded engine. Even if it's just balanced/blue printed. the ls engines last a long time out of the box, but as soon as you open them up there time is limited. When you want a car you can track (be it auto-x or just HPDE), you want the engine to be as reliable as possible and last a long time...no one wants to buy a new engine.

other thing to think about, for doing HPDE stuff in a vert, i believe you are required at the minimum a roll over hoop. I think there are some available from vendors, but i don't know at what price..
Old 12-06-2009 | 04:12 PM
Launching!

Why start with a vert and a disadvantage? Plenty of cars out there now cheap. Not easy to correct short comings of a vert for track use.