Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

What cars dominate the SM class?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2009, 03:40 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default What cars dominate the SM class?

Just wondering. That is the class I have landed in, just started autocrossing.
Old 12-30-2009, 04:58 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here are the results from nationals this past year. Scroll down about 3/4 of the way and you'll find Street Modified.

http://scca.com/popup/raceresult.asp...13555&file=854

Here's a sample of the philly region
http://www.phillyscca.com/solo2/resu...62809.shtml#sm

Philly region breaks SM down a little bit. The FWD cars have their own class (SMFWD)as well as the 2 seaters which have their own class (SM2) so the helps a little bit.

Here's a sample of the North Jersey Region
https://axwaresystems.com/axorm/file...009_fin.htm#sm

I am in the same boat as you. Mods done to my car prior to getting into autox forced me into this class. Its not a class that you'll be competitive in on a national level, but locally you could do just fine. The car just doesn't lend itself to SM very well. It's just too heavy and you can't get it light enough within the rule set of SM. SM is kind of a catch all, in that you could be up against lots of other cars that weren't built for SM, but ended up there as a result of previous mods before getting into autox. But typically you'll be up against BMW M3s, worked Evo's, worked STI's, worked 240SX and all kinds of other stuff. SM usually has decent car counts because of its "catch all" type classing, but the number of those cars actually built for the class can be smallish. C-prepared is another class you could probably run, but again those are usually fully prepped pony cars so you'll likely be out classed and car counts can be super small, you might be the only car in class.

I think ESP is about the best place for a modified F-body from a dollar spent/rules envelope/ability to be competitive kinda of ratio, but if you are like me your car is modded too far to turn back now.

Either way have fun.
Old 12-30-2009, 05:06 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks for all the great info! Yeah, my car is a H/C M6 with SFC's ect.... typical bolt on stuff but no K-member

Last edited by red fury; 12-30-2009 at 05:14 PM.
Old 12-30-2009, 05:17 PM
Launching!

If you search around for results you'll find most purpose built F-bodys are in F-stock or ESP. Beyond that they generally end up in C-prepared.

Full on C-prepared F-body....not my car, just an example

http://www.maierracing.com/images/1jesusvillarreal.jpg
Old 12-30-2009, 05:31 PM
11 Second Club

LOL!! I plan on keeping mine street legal! I was thinking a well built 347ci or 383ci stroker for the torque along with a good suspension setup, max weight reduction and sticky tires could make a f-body run with the M3's, EVO's and STI's.
Old 12-31-2009, 12:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Throw some 315's at both ends and start practicing.
Old 01-07-2010, 12:57 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by red fury
LOL!! I plan on keeping mine street legal! I was thinking a well built 347ci or 383ci stroker for the torque along with a good suspension setup, max weight reduction and sticky tires could make a f-body run with the M3's, EVO's and STI's.
I highly recommend taking a good look at the rule book and then make your decision. unlike most forms of racing autocross tell you what you can do as opposed to what you cannot do.
Old 02-03-2010, 09:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by red fury
Well you can be in C Prepared and still be street legal I think. In SM you're already at a disadvantage compared to lighter cars, depending on track. On a smaller tighter course little cars will win more, but if you have a big open track the fbodies shine. But you're right, you can be competitive and beat Evo/STI's - with the right setup, and surely the most important part is, practice and driver improvement. If you want suspension parts, look up Strano Parts. He has "the" setup for f bodies. Springs, shocks, swaybars, and 315s.
Old 02-13-2010, 12:36 PM
On The Tree

Frankly, if your Camaro is in SM, you may as well run CP. The fastest SM cars are faster than the fastest CP cars, so the same car will fare better relative to the leaders in CP. CP also has a much better PAX than SM.

Now if you have more local competition in SM than CP, I can understand staying put so you're not racing alone or anything.
Old 02-17-2010, 12:37 PM
11 Second Club

Thanks for the advise. I do plan to stay put in SM for the time being for that very reason and a few others $$$ LOL. I will move to CP in a couple years. Just going to have fun and get seat time for now.

Quick Reply: What cars dominate the SM class?