Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

wheels and tires

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2010, 07:33 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wheels and tires

I am building my car for HPDE sessions but will also be a weekend toy. I definitely want to run 18's on the street, but I'm torn on if I should use them at the track or go with 17's for the track. maybe even 17X11's all around.

Would I be better off to stick with 18's and get a good all around tire or should I get 17's with sticky tires for the track? How hard is it to fit 17x11's on the front any rubbing?
Old 02-25-2010, 08:34 PM
TECH Addict

if youll be going to a track any more then a few times a year, its a very good idea to get dedicated track tires & rims. go a few times and watch how you chew your tires up, and youll understand why.

also, if its just HPDE, then there is no reason to spend a fortune on track tires. its not a race, its not timed. faken 615s are reasonably priced, and decent track tires. NT05s are also a new, good track tire choice. 17s are cheaper, rims are cheaper, the rims are lighter, and easier to find.

that being said, its getting harder and harder to find used race tires in 17, if you choose to use them as track tires. more and more people are using 18s for race, so IF you want used race tires, 18s may be a better investment. i got a set of hoosier slicks from turner motorsports for $340 shipped, 275/17. they make a great, cheap autox/track tire. they wont be 710s on an autox, and they wont be R6s on a track, but theyre about in the middle, and a third of the price.
Old 03-12-2010, 12:21 PM
On The Tree

I am interested in the used Turner Motorsports race tires. Echo, how long have they lasted you? Will I be able to get a decent amount of heat cycles out of them doing DE's? Do you know?

Sounds like a pretty sweet deal as long as they haven't sat on the shelf at their warehouse for a long time.

Quick Reply: wheels and tires