Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

LS3 for ESP?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 05:59 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS3 for ESP?

For Street Prepared in our F bodies, I was just thinking since we can update and backdate features from the same model as long as they were offered in our model to everyone in a production year, what's to stop someone from dropping an LS3 and 6 spd from a 2010 into an older year like a 98-02? (it could be a crate motor or maybe picked up from a wreck) I've seen guys using LT4's in a 97' and it's completely legit.
I was just thinking about that update/backdate option for ESP and figured someone with more money than they need would probably do it just because they could, and of course for all the extra power right out of the box. Now the only thing I can think of to stop them is I think it needs to be drivetrain specific, like the whole drive train possible. Since the 2010 is independant rear suspension and not live axle, would that stop them? It has a 3.45 rear gear, but we already have the option of a 3.42 from the 6spd SS''s so that isn't something to pursue. But, what about those big 14" Brembo brakes? You'd have to run at least an 18" or something to get them to fit but they would make a nice addition.
Anyways, just thinking about it and looking for others opinions.
Post up if you agree, or if you think I'm full of ****!

Just curious if anyone else has given this any thought or if this is completely off the radar for some reason based on some rules I'm not aware of. I think if it's possible, some guy will be doing it .
Old 02-26-2010, 07:38 PM
On The Tree

Reread the rule book. You can update/backdate only between models that appear on the same line in the rule book. 2010+ Camaro and 93-02 Camaro are NOT on the same line.
Old 02-26-2010, 09:11 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Mercutio
Reread the rule book. You can update/backdate only between models that appear on the same line in the rule book. 2010+ Camaro and 93-02 Camaro are NOT on the same line.
Ah-ha. That makes sense. You also assume I actually read the rule book in the first place. Just kidding.

Thanks for clarifying that. I guess no LS3's in my ol' 98 anytime soon. (Not that I could afford it anyways)

Thanks!
Old 02-27-2010, 07:53 AM
TECH Addict

make it look stock, and what they dont know wont bother you
Old 02-27-2010, 09:19 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by EchoMirage
Certainly wouldn't look any different on the outside, that's very true.....Hmmmm.
Old 03-01-2010, 02:17 PM
Customizing Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Aside from checking the numbers it would be pretty hard to tell.
Old 03-01-2010, 04:28 PM
On The Tree

It would be easy to tell when said ls3 car is running that much faster than the LS1's. With a good driver of course.
Old 03-01-2010, 05:10 PM
TECH Addict

you cant tell that on an autox. open track with long straights maybe.
Old 03-05-2010, 02:58 PM
On The Tree

I'll chime in since I'm probably the only person (or one of the very few) that is autocrossing an LS3 4th gen. AFAIK this swap is illegal in ESP, but SM and CP legal. Having said that this is what my engine bay looks like. Unless you really know what you are looking at (the fuel rails and the intake runners are a dead give away) you wouldn't know it was swapped:

My autocross goals are fairly modest - I enjoy having fun in local competition and don't have my sights set on nationals dominance.

How does it compare to an LS1 car?

The biggest advantage of the LS3 is that it has a lot more low end torque. It gets out of the corners a lot faster than a stock LS1 or my experiences with a cammed LS1 (ASA cam) - if you can put the power down. I have no problems blowing off 275 Kumho R compounds and the stock diff can't keep up. I'm swapping diffs this season and going over to 315 R compounds to see if I can take better advantage of the motor.

At the end of the day, it made the car more difficult to drive (you really have to be sensitive with your throttle input or you will be sideways or spinning), but its a lot more fun.

Having said that, I still think a stock(ish) LS1 car could be competitive and it would mostly come down to driver skill.
Old 03-05-2010, 05:16 PM
On The Tree

The drive by wire throttle is a dead giveaway that it's not an LS1. But with that said, that looks like a hell of a fun car.

1BadZ, are you going to be at the ETR autocross this weekend? I run with Chattanooga region and I'll probably be making my first trip to an ETR event this Sunday. I'll be in the NBM 99Z in ESP.
Old 03-05-2010, 06:18 PM
On The Tree

Mine is actually a DBW converted to cable but yeah it looks weird.

I will be running this weekend. Run in SM no one runs ESP locally.

Originally Posted by Mercutio
The drive by wire throttle is a dead giveaway that it's not an LS1. But with that said, that looks like a hell of a fun car.

1BadZ, are you going to be at the ETR autocross this weekend? I run with Chattanooga region and I'll probably be making my first trip to an ETR event this Sunday. I'll be in the NBM 99Z in ESP.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:05 PM
TECH Addict

a stock or bolt on LS1, LT1, TPI or 350 carb has more then enough power for any autox. only when you get onto a real track does the increase of power make itself known.

also, the vast majority of people hosting/teching an autox are either rice or kraut runners. once in a while you get a gearhead, but most wouldnt know an LS1 from a TBI.
Old 03-05-2010, 07:07 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 01badz28
Mine is actually a DBW converted to cable but yeah it looks weird.

I will be running this weekend. Run in SM no one runs ESP locally.
I'll probably run in Pro, but we'll see. I'm running at the Dixie Tour next weekend, so I want to see how I can do on PAX against some of the really fast guys.
Old 05-02-2010, 04:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

My engine bay will look similar soon. My previous motor was only CP/SM/SSM legal so it won't matter to me.... I only do it for fun locally also. I plan to keep the LS1 injectors & fuel rails, & keep my 4-bolt 90mm LS1 TB. The injector adapters and intake runners will look different.

What rear gears do you have? 1st gear w/ 3.73's was useless except at the start with the LS1. I figure coming out of slow corners in 2nd will offer better acceleration with better torque down low.
Old 05-03-2010, 12:52 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JimMueller
My engine bay will look similar soon. My previous motor was only CP/SM/SSM legal so it won't matter to me.... I only do it for fun locally also. I plan to keep the LS1 injectors & fuel rails, & keep my 4-bolt 90mm LS1 TB. The injector adapters and intake runners will look different.

What rear gears do you have? 1st gear w/ 3.73's was useless except at the start with the LS1. I figure coming out of slow corners in 2nd will offer better acceleration with better torque down low.
3.73s. I use first on the start and grab second at the earliest opportunity. I've had a couple of really tight courses where I've had to go back to first, but that is an anomaly.

I have some very dead (2+ year old) Hoosiers I'm using right now, so the whole thing is traction deprived.
Old 05-05-2010, 12:29 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 141 Likes on 92 Posts

Condoning cheating? That's not cool.

If you are competing, I'd hope you'd want to win by doing a better job driving or setting up the car... At least that's how I feel. Not everyone agrees.
13 SCCA Pro Solo Nationals Championships
2023 UMI King of the Mountain Champion

Quick Reply: LS3 for ESP?