Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Dedicated track car set up: cooling, gauges, brakes, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 08:04 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Dedicated track car set up: cooling, gauges, brakes, etc.

I'm in the process of making updates to a 99' SS that's dedicated for track/HPDE use. Would like to have a durable and reliable set up. The car is run solo in the advanced/instructor group.

Here's current set up.
The car has 6 point cage, race seats/harness, gutted interior, R-comp tires, 12-bolt rear, built motor is going in.

What are your suggestions for additional gauges?
I plan on adding temp. gauges for engine oil, trans oil, diff. oil.
Which manufacturer?

Is it common to use a GM oil temp sensors from a C5/C6/CTV-V and source gauges w/ the corresponding ohm range?

Plan on adding an accusump. Any suggestions on where to get a complete set up w/o having to chase down plumbing parts?

Engine oil cooler setup? plumbing and thermostat?

I'm know this question is very subjective w/o knowing the actual trans and diff. temps (driving style too) but are coolers necessary for these two? Or at which point are they needed?

Does anyone sell brackets to adapt CTS-V calipers under 17" wheels? I've read a few DIY threads on it. Not looking to reinvent the wheel if someone has a working set up.
Old 02-26-2010, 11:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Speed Demon

What are your suggestions for additional gauges?
I plan on adding temp. gauges for engine oil, trans oil, diff. oil.
Which manufacturer?

Is it common to use a GM oil temp sensors from a C5/C6/CTV-V and source gauges w/ the corresponding ohm range?

Plan on adding an accusump. Any suggestions on where to get a complete set up w/o having to chase down plumbing parts?

Engine oil cooler setup? plumbing and thermostat?

I'm know this question is very subjective w/o knowing the actual trans and diff. temps (driving style too) but are coolers necessary for these two? Or at which point are they needed?

Does anyone sell brackets to adapt CTS-V calipers under 17" wheels? I've read a few DIY threads on it. Not looking to reinvent the wheel if someone has a working set up.
I've had great luck with Autometer guages. Relatively inexpensive, durable and accurate.

Unless you will be on-track for hours at a time, trans and diff temps won't get to critical mass temps. Use a good fluid and you will be fine. Same goes for coolers.

Engine oil temps ... that's a different story. I take the temps of my engine oil as it sits in the pan before sucked up and into the motor. Taking oil temps as it exits the cooler just tells me that ... If I knew temps going in and could see the delta, then I'd know how well my cooler was working. But, is that really what you want to know?

On a stock LSx pan, I found a drain plug that sealed the oil level sensor hole. I drilled and tapped it to accomodate the temp sensor.

I use a 9" x 9" Setrab cooler with a fan pack. It works great for 40-50" races. But wouldn't do well in anything longer than that. I see oil temps in the 210-240* range depending upon race length and ambient temps. A 40 minute race in August is killer ...

LG Motorsports made a really nice adaptor to run the oil lines to and from a cooler. Not sure if they still make it or not, but it's worth a call.

For hose, we found a nice hose at a local hydraullic hose supplier designed for high pressure hydraulic lines. It has a nice cloth sheeth over the steel braid.

Use Aeroquip fittings. They have swivel ends and makes clocking the hose routing a lot simpler.

The only guages in my car are Tach, oil pressure, oil temp, water temp, voltage and fuel level. All are Autometer Ultra-lite 2. Easy to read in bright daylight.