Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Weight reduction, is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2010 | 10:35 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by EchoMirage
bitchntx is an ******* and hes only saying that to disagree with me. what nearly everyone is not reading is that its JUST a street car for a TRACK DAY. sik02ss even admitted he didnt read the post. this is NOT a race car, and the title of the thread is, and i quote "weight reduction, is it worth it?" i answered the question in regards to HIS car, in THIS situation. its a street car for a single track day. is it really worth stripping the AC and even bumper supports just for a track day?? what advantage will he get? its not being timed......hes not racing against other people. there will be an INSTRUCTOR in the car with him, thereby adding whatever weight he just took out, effectively bringing it back to STOCK WEIGHT anyway.

were this a stripped, gutted race car, then again, as i said before, have yourself a ball cutting threads off bolts to save weight. but what the hell will it matter if its just a track day?? ive had 20+ track days over the last 2 years, and the only 'weight reduction' ive done is a lightweight battery, and only because i got a deal on one used. the rear seats are out, #1 because i NEVER have anyone back there, and #2 i have a harness bar, rendering the rear seats useless anyway.

and stripping the entire interior just to put in a lightweight carpet?? if he really wants to feel a difference, then get good tires and brake pads. i defy any 'professional' here to disagree that good tires and pads will make less of an effect then losing 200lbs in an equal car.
seriously, you need to calm down. The internets is not serious bidness.

Mitch I'm sure has quite a bit more experience than you. And Mitch is right, everyone has different goals in mind with their personal cars.

If I read the 1st post, my comment would have been just go and drive the car/get seat time, then decide what you want to do with it. But like Mitch said, there are those people who while they don't race or compete, want something similar out of there "street" car (and 9/10 times once someone goes to a road course, they continue going until funds don't allow it making it an ongoing thing...they get the 'itch'). My 2002 SS for example is a full weight (heavy pig), with Strano suspension, a 228 cam, and LTs+3" TDs...hardly street legal in CA. But I did it. Would I pull my AC for weight on the SS, hell no but I know a couple people who have for drag racing (and they only go every few months if that). Everyone has a different goal in mind with their car.

And regardless of a persons abilities on track, a lighter weight vehicle (lighter than it's stock weight) takes much less abuse while being tracked then a stock weight or heavier vehicle. It will also consume less consumables (brake pads/hubs/tires/etc), and will be easier to drive due to being more nimble and able to rotate better. That is a fact.

Last edited by SIK02SS; 03-18-2010 at 12:39 PM.
Old 03-18-2010 | 11:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

Wow ...

I have EM on my ignore list for obvious reasons. I see his comments though in Sik's quote post.

I'm not disagreeing with EM because he is EM ... I chose not to see his posts. I'm disagreeing with EM because he's wrong, as evidenced by everyone else in this thread who is also disagreeing with EM.

So ... the OP asked ....

Originally Posted by taws6
Hey,

I'm considering stripping around 200 LB out of my car, and I'm wondering if it's worth it, and will it feel much different? Where I live there's lots of narrow twisty lanes, so I'm thinking this will help to make my car more nimble.

Sure, better tires and driver mod would be great, but will 200 LB off my car's weight really make much difference?

BTW, I've just got a driver mod sorted with an instructor at Brands Hatch in 2 weeks time, yeehaa!!

Also, JFMI, if YOU knocked 200 LB off your cars weight, how much time would you expect to knock off a track 1.5 miles long?

Thanks alot for the advise and info
The OP is asking if 200lbs will make a difference and how much?

Everyone that's actually done it, says yes.

Those that just read about it on the internet, says no.

So ... taws6, who would you believe?

Last edited by mitchntx; 03-18-2010 at 11:43 AM.
Old 03-18-2010 | 11:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

mitch you trouble maker..... lol

why do you have disagree with forum members just to be an ahole. haha

if anything this thread made me laugh today!
Old 03-18-2010 | 12:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 2000Z28M6
mitch you trouble maker..... lol

why do you have disagree with forum members just to be an ahole. haha

if anything this thread made me laugh today!
Troublemaker? meh ... not so much.
Opinionated? I'll give you that. I ask "Why?" a lot. And I take issue when the answer is "because I said so". That's a huge red flag for me. I don't stroke egos. I'm too old for that BS.

If you are refferring to this specific thread and EM's claim I'm disagreeing with him because it's EM ... like I said, he's on my ignore list. I had no idea what he posted.

The ignore list is a great tool and I've suggested on numerous occasions that EM put me on his ignore list. For some odd reason, he doesn't do it.
Old 03-18-2010 | 12:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Im just instigating...and poking fun. adding to the fire I guess.

Cmon guys lighten up it's almost Friday and spring break is the reason I live in Corpus Christi !!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-18-2010 | 12:47 PM
TECH Addict

heres bitch being his usual arrogant ******* self again. he didnt even read the thread title, which i quoted. the OP asked "weight reduction, IS IT WORTH IT." it does not say "weight reduction, does it make any difference at all"

now once again, since there are STILL ******** like bitch who refuse to listen to anyone else on the planet. is it REALLY WORTH IT to strip things such as AC and BUMPER SUPPORTS just for an HPDE? hell no. especially when youll have an instructor with you, negating whatever weight you took out.

losing extra things like the spare, jack, floormats are more for safety as they are weight saving. of ALL the things NOT to take out, should be the bumpers. if anything happens and you spin out, wreck, whatever, you dont have a cage or a bar to protect you. the only thing youll have is what was designed in the car in the first place. on RACE CARS you take out bumpers and whatnot, because you have a full cage to do the job of protection. but to take them out just for an HPDE???

nowhere did i say losing weight will NOT make a difference. i said many times race cars do everything for a few pounds, including cutting bolts down. i was answering the OPs question directly. i said it is NOT WORTH IT for an HPDE. what is so hard for people to understand about that? is it really worth pulling the bumpers off just for a track day, and then what, leave them off for street driving? losing the AC in his driver just for a track day? if hes never going to use the AC, then fine. but is it worth the trouble of taking it all apart, then reassembling, then having it evacuated and charged again, just for one track day? is it worth pulling apart your bumpers every time you autox or have a HPDE??

ill add one more thing.....its funny how many people worry about losing weight in their car, yet they have a gut down to their knees.

Last edited by EchoMirage; 03-18-2010 at 12:53 PM.
Old 03-18-2010 | 01:23 PM
On The Tree

Wow... so this has gotten out of hand...

So to sum things up here, we have gathered that less weight helps the performance of a car tremendously. Are DE's about winning??? No. Would Echo strip his car?? No. Is it worth removing the weight for DE's??? That is completely up to taws6. In the end we are just here to give our opinions and give proven information so that people are able to make a decision based on his/her personal goals for the future of their car.
Old 03-18-2010 | 01:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Im just instigating...and poking fun. adding to the fire I guess.

Cmon guys lighten up it's almost Friday and spring break is the reason I live in Corpus Christi !!!!!!!!!!
I figured as much ... so what's the scenery like in CC this week?

April 23rd I am crew chief for the #70 E1 Enduro Team at Texas World Speedway. It's a 6 hour enduro beginning at 1300.

We could use some crew members ... no pay, but a helluva lot of fun.

We've won the class two years running, beating Jason Saini's Miatas on fuel economy. They hated that.

And last year, we took the overall win, again on fuel econmy and pit strategy.

Check your schedule ...

/hijack

OT ...

We won because the car was stripped ...
Old 03-18-2010 | 01:36 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by mitchntx
OT ... We won because the car was stripped ...
LOL.
Old 03-18-2010 | 01:38 PM
Trunion King

Hey TAWS6,

When and where are you doing this? Is it during the weekends? If its on the weekends, I'm down.
Old 03-18-2010 | 02:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

so what's the scenery like in CC this week?
Hmmm. HHMMM. lots of bikinis sucka!!!

Skipping out to the beach tomorrow.

I'll have to consider the invite mitch! We'll see......
Old 03-18-2010 | 05:07 PM
TECH Resident

Wow, thanks for all your imput.
Seems like everytime I come in here a fight starts lol!

The weight reduction I'm considering is not just for a one day track event, but to generally help my car handle better around where I live, I don't like the fact my V8 isn't killing everything. (Agreed, there's always someone faster!)

be realistic and understand AWD rally cars will almost always have the advantage in autox
you could always just graduate to C5
Duely noted, and I'm now considering a Vette. Would a C5 give the AWD a much better run for there money round the corners?

I guess I'm at a cross road where I need to decide to mod and strip the TA, or step up to the Vette....I prefer the looks of the TA, although the Vette is sexy too.

Seems the general concensus is 200 LB off the TA will give me an advantage, and I should feel the advantage.

I'm not using the TA for the track day, but the day will offer me some driver training, so will be good experience.

You really dont need to feel it when you KNOW your car is faster. The question of is it worth it is all owner preference
just ask yourself how hardcore do you wanna be
Want to rattle the AWD, z3's, mx5's etc , and I'm happy to strip it. I guess it depends how well a stripped bolt on A4 LS1 TA handles and performs.....

there are those people who while they don't race or compete, want something similar out of there "street" car
That's me. The TA's good, but could be better, and seriously considering a Vette. They seem like they're a fair bit better for the corners, and a few mods would make it a real beast over here.

When and where are you doing this?
Hey bene, Sorry I missed ya at checkers the other Sunday, if I'd known you were going I'd have tried harder to get there.

Brands Hatch is in Kent, just south east of London, and I hear it's one of the UK better road courses. It looks more of a roller coaster than a track hehe http://www.clubmsv.com/car-home/circuits.aspx

I'm going on April the 8th (a Thursday) for the novice morning session, would be great if you could make it.

what's the scenery like
HHMMM. lots of bikinis
Got ta love the summer, the legs and low cut tops are finally back out here too

Thanks for all you opinions

Last edited by taws6; 03-18-2010 at 05:14 PM.
Old 03-18-2010 | 05:28 PM
TECH Addict

I forgot you're in England..yea, you can take out the AC

take video at brands hatch and go to silverstone..and take video....then post both
Old 03-18-2010 | 05:50 PM
TECH Resident

yea, you can take out the AC
AC not as needed here as in the US, but we still get hose pipe bans and drouts though!

Silverstone a bit naff in comparision, Donningtons great too I hear, but it's a good 5 hours drive from me.

I'll try and get some video of Brands hatch though
Old 03-18-2010 | 06:05 PM
Trunion King

I'll ask my boss if I can take leave that day. I already have the camera, and the mount for it.
Old 03-18-2010 | 06:54 PM
TECH Resident

Hi bene

Would be good to see you there.
PM sent regarding details

Last edited by taws6; 03-18-2010 at 07:00 PM.
Old 03-18-2010 | 06:58 PM
10 Second Club
15 Year Member

Originally Posted by therealcreeper
how much different does your car feel with a passenger? that's about 200lbs
I know the difference when someone is in my passenger seat. Cant say track time lol but its my car and i know when theres additional weight. I can definatly tell the difference when im braking also
Old 03-18-2010 | 07:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Hmmm. HHMMM. lots of bikinis sucka!!!

Skipping out to the beach tomorrow.

I'll have to consider the invite mitch! We'll see......
Do you know Rayman Kinman? He had red LSx TA he road raced and hit the local Corpus tracks.

We did the cage in that car just before he sold it.

And to keep it on topic ... Rayman's car was stripped.
Old 03-18-2010 | 09:20 PM
TECH Resident

you could always just graduate to C5
2000Z28M6, damn, you've really got me wondering now
Old 03-19-2010 | 09:17 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by taws6
2000Z28M6, damn, you've really got me wondering now
My street car is a 2002 SS that has springs/swaybars/shocks/aggressive DOT r-comps/cammed/full exhaust etc etc.

My racecar is a gutted C5Z but otherwise the same mods minus the cam, just sitting in them, there's no comparison. The feel on track between them is day/night. I've never been in a fully tracked prepped 4th gen fbody (would love to), but the feel of the C5Z really does feel like a proper sports car. As it should too since the fbody is a pony car/muscle car designed for drag racing.

If you have the means to take on another car, or sell your TA for a C5 or C6, you will thank yourself later

That being said, there are a lot of 4th gen fbodies that take to the road course like champs and Mitch can attest to that

Quick Reply: Weight reduction, is it worth it?