Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

LS1 Miata hits the track for the first time - video

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 01:17 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

great runs... looked like a blast! thanks for posting the video and you seem to have a nice setup there. what's the specs on the engine?
Old 04-03-2010, 01:24 AM
On The Tree

The engine is an absolutely bone-stock 99 or 00 LS1. Pretty open exhaust and unrestricted intake. I haven't even altered the PCM yet...

The car seems to breakup or laydown above 5500rpm, so that's where I'm shifting. I'm going to get it on a chassis dyno and we'll figure it out there, I'm sure.

Cheers,

Dean
Old 04-03-2010, 08:59 PM
TECH Regular

Very cool, Dean. It's great to see the effort going into a project like this and then the results. Hope you do well in ST2.

I had the pleasure of driving an RX7 with an LS1 not too long ago. What a blast!

What rubber will you run and how wide can you go? Not familiar with the Hankook line. Is that an "R" compound slick? Any idea what the scales say (front-to-back)? You will probably need some fat boys in the front, as well in the back.

With that power-to-weight, will they drop some lead on you in the NASA events?

It didn't look like there was anything that could hang with you. Awesome fun!
Old 04-04-2010, 01:27 AM
On The Tree

3rd gen rx7 with an LS1? I've seen a couple of those done very well... One in particular in my area that really inspired me to get my project completed!

We're only running 225's all around right now. The Hankook 214's in the C51 compound - yeah, a good R compound tire. A little better than Toyo RA-1's, but not quite as good as Hoosier R6's. We'll add fender flares and then will be able to run a 275 Hoosier front and back. THAT is the ticket for the best handling for this car.

The car is 53.9% on the front, with about half a tank of gas. That's a little more front heavy than I wanted, but honestly, the car didn't show the weight the way I thought it would. It wasn't "pushy" at all.

For us to really make ST2, I think we're going to need to detune the car to have just a little less HP at the wheels. We'll figure out how to do that in the best way when we spend some time on the dyno. I do NOT want to add weight to the car - I'd rather take away a little HP to stay at the top of the HP/weight ratio for ST2.

I'd love to see your Ultima out here at Thunderhill or Infineon some time!!

Cheers,

Dean
Old 04-04-2010, 10:53 AM
TECH Regular

The 3rd gen rx7 with the LS1 came up to Reno-Fernley from the Livingston area (summer before last). I don't recall the young couple's names. He was a mechanic and the car was hers. It was on slicks and I was able to hang with a very tricked-out Vette on slicks. I'd catch them in the corners and they'd pull me in the straights...same story, different horsepower.

A couple of inches of rubber all the way around will definitely make a huge difference. It's hard to beat power-to-weight, good tires, and well-sorted suspension settings. If you are interested in Hoosiers, you might get hold of Tim Gerhardt at Hoosier Tires West (559) 485-4612 in Fresno. Tim does track support and loves road racing.

That's a great front-back weight balance. I would have though much more front-heavy. It will be interesting to see if the de-tune works better than a power increase and adding weight. I would think so, as a lighter car is better on tires. I wonder if turning the extra HP into torque is an option with a different cam and/or crank (stroke). Doing so would probably change the gearing requirements, too. I have always thought that "big torque" was the way to turn power-to-weight restrictions into an advantage (i.e., Audi diesels in ALMS).

The Ultima is 95% done. Really hoping to get on the track this summer. She'll be street-legal and riding on PS-II tires. HPDE only, though. I can't afford a new body every few months. And, no P/W restrictions!
Old 04-11-2010, 08:10 PM
On The Tree

Ran Thunderhill on Thursday at a test day. Unfortunately, the brake pads in front wore MUCH MUCH faster than I thought they would and I didn't have spare pads with me. So, I didn't get to race, but we did have a good day of testing.

I ran a 2:00.3 while the fastest spec miatas were running low and mid 2:09's. The car once again ran flawlessly, as long as you don't count fast brake pad wear as a flaw

These calipers were never intended to be the real solution. We're putting Wilwood Dynapro's on the car next week - a much more rigid caliper and mount, so I think this will put our "bias wear" problem behind us. We also have brake ducting planned, which will definitely help with brake temps and therefore the wear rate.

Another thing to note is that the Accusump saved my butt, I think. As I went through the long left-hand T2, the oil pressure would drop from 50psi to 25psi - where the pressure switch is set on the accusump (at Canton's recommendation).

Water temps stayed around 190 and oil temps maxed at 230, but were at 210-220 most of the time.

Cheers,

Dean
Old 04-11-2010, 08:44 PM
TECH Regular

Sending you a PM.
Old 04-12-2010, 06:40 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am new to road racing/HPDEs but I dont think its normal to come up on other fast cars that quickly and easily.

That thing is movin. To beat spec miatas by 10 seconds is pretty amazing. If I can just run with spec miatas in my Ls1 Rx7 I'll call it a win but I'm running on falken azenis street tires.
Old 04-13-2010, 06:18 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by sciff5
I am new to road racing/HPDEs but I dont think its normal to come up on other fast cars that quickly and easily.

That thing is movin. To beat spec miatas by 10 seconds is pretty amazing. If I can just run with spec miatas in my Ls1 Rx7 I'll call it a win but I'm running on falken azenis street tires.
those spec miatas can be pretty damn fast with good drivers in them.

Other words, don't get discouraged if you're new to HPDE as a lot of the SM guys do HPDE and race, and have tons of seat time.
Old 04-16-2010, 10:38 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by sciff5
...If I can just run with spec miatas in my Ls1 Rx7 I'll call it a win but I'm running on falken azenis street tires.
Just remember, it's not how fast you go, but how much fun you have. Had the pleasure of instructing at Thunderhill yesterday.

DTFastBear, I met April. She's the Miata driver that got punted and spun on the straight at the start of last weekend's event. Said she knows you.

Last edited by Builder; 04-17-2010 at 10:18 AM.
Old 04-17-2010, 09:59 AM
On The Tree

Scott - I think you might mean April?

Hope you had a good day at T-Hill. I'm taking the LS1 Miata out there in just over a week for the Evil Genius track day. If testing goes well, I'll probably race it in ITE with the SCCA at Laguna the following weekend...
Old 04-17-2010, 10:27 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by dtfastbear
Scott - I think you might mean April?

Hope you had a good day at T-Hill. I'm taking the LS1 Miata out there in just over a week for the Evil Genius track day. If testing goes well, I'll probably race it in ITE with the SCCA at Laguna the following weekend...
Yes, corrected. Saw that "Evil Genius" track day on the schedule. Would love to be there, but have prior commitments through the beginning of May. Can't wait to see that wicked Miata! That weapon doesn't have two seats, does it?
Old 04-17-2010, 10:30 AM
On The Tree

Passenger seat is going in today. Figure I might as well share the love. I can imagine this will be a fun ride...
Old 04-17-2010, 10:38 AM
TECH Regular

Passenger seat is going in today. Figure I might as well share the love. I can imagine this will be a fun ride...
NICE! You know people will be reaching for the invisible brake peddle. Love that! I might get to start the engine in the GTR today or tomorrow. Am I excited?
Old 04-17-2010, 10:42 AM
On The Tree

I started the engine on this car for the first time on new years eve. Best day of the year for me!

Good luck.
Old 04-17-2010, 05:26 PM
TECH Regular

I started the engine on this car for the first time on new years eve. Best day of the year for me!

Good luck.
Good luck at the SCCA event! You should do extremely well.

Ran into a snag with engine start. Two weeks until I can work again. No problem. I have waited this long.
Old 06-20-2010, 03:38 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Great video. Car sounds awsome.
Old 06-21-2010, 02:52 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lap times?
Old 06-21-2010, 03:28 PM
On The Tree

I think my fastest lap on the books was a 1:40.1. I was on pace to do a high 1:38 the lap I lost my wheel, and I feel like given the whole race to work out the places I was overslowing I would have cracked in to the high 37's.

I've got what I believe to be a good air dam and effective splitter, now, as well as a wing. I'm predicting that I can get down to the 36's at Laguna with a little practice.

With just a few sessions each on the car at Infineon and Thunderhill, I've done 1:49 at Infineon and 2:00 at Thunderhill. The car has a LOT left in it at those tracks, too.

Off to Thunderhill on Friday and Infineon this weekend. I'll report back with video!

Cheers,

Dean
Old 06-21-2010, 04:58 PM
TECH Addict

Our times are almost identical, and I think so is our potential, that's kind of scary given how vastly different the cars are

Should be a good race once we get a weekend

Quick Reply: LS1 Miata hits the track for the first time - video