Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

autocross...

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 10:34 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default autocross...

yeah.. well i think im going to try my hand at autocross. any tips anyone? its a big cam 4k stall car.. ha. has 275/17 nitto 555R2s on the front and 317/17 drag radials on rear..

planned on just keeping it in second gear the whole course. thats about as far as my plan goes..
Old 03-31-2010, 12:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like it's making plenty power, Fbodys need more suspension than power out of the box for AX.

With that said, adding more power only makes the car harder to learn and drive fast. If you have the stock 3.23 gears you should be fine in 2nd, depending on the course layout.

Keep an eye on the tire pressure and make sure the fronts are not rolling over. The rears start around 32psi and drop them 1psi until you feel the grip kicking in, dont over do it of course.

Keep in mind this is your first time so dont get caught up trying to keep up with more experienced drivers.

Try to learn the car not just the course, you'll hear me say that all the time.

Go on as many ride alongs as you can and make mental notes on what those drivers do.

Good luck, you might get hooked!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-31-2010, 01:45 PM
10 Second Club

yeah well the car has 183k on it now.. it needs shocks and springs put on it.. the shocks and springs arent "bad" but i know they are probably worn out.. and they need to be replaced. plus i want to lower the car a tad. it helps that im a hardtop.. and yes it has 3.23s. ill see how i do i guess.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

I've been autox'n my WS6 for a long time. It's not easy driving fbodies but you will sure to be hooked when you are done. Set your front tire pressures about 38lbs, backs around 32ish to start. If you have some kids sidwalk chaulk use it to mark your front tires so you can see how far they are rolling over. Make 4 marks from the outside block of the tread onto the sidewall of the tire. after your run, if there is still chaulk on any of the tread, go down 2psi to 36lbs. If you rubbed the chaulk off the sidewall at all you may want to add air.

Driving tips, Brake going into the turns in strait line then turn. Always look to your next element of the course not at the cone your are going around. Easy...Easy on the throttle. You'll be temped to floor it coming out of the turn and go fast, but you will only spin the tires. Someone suggested to me one time to put a sponge under the go pedal to help modulate the throttle and it worked. Make sure is secured good and do it after you tech the car. (try it without it first)

Walk the course as much as you can with another experienced driver, listen to what they say about the "key" cones and the line to drive. THere may be 1000 cones on the course but in reality there are only about 20 you need to pay attention too.

Good Luck! Have Fun!

PS if they have fun runs after, do them. Let the car cool down between so you don't boil the powersteering pump.