Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

ls3 Road Racing - oil Issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 03:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Andy1
Not real expensive. Interesting that they don't seem to mention or suggest additional engine prep or modifications to go along with them.

Andy1
Cheap and dry sump are mutually exclusive. lol
Old 08-10-2010, 04:02 PM
TECH Regular

Other than catastrophic failure, what are the symptoms of G induced oil starvation? I have been told from other drivers that my car will blow some light colored smoke on the track usually towards the end of the session. Can't seem to isolate the problem since there are no evident problems with oil or coolant. Could the oil be splashing up the cylinder walls and burning off? My G meter can touch 1.2-1.3. I have a catch can. I was thinking the hi flow cats and the headers may have some smoking issues when hot. Car uses only about 1/2 quart on 2 hours of track time.
Old 08-10-2010, 04:59 PM
TECH Addict

Just guessing, but I'd say probably oil blow by
Old 08-12-2010, 11:30 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by OKcruising
The Aviaid "LSx-B" system is listed @ $1800, so in the big scheme of things these are not real expensive systems. I never said "cheap", but an $1800 solution is affordable to most of those who have any race track intentions. Certainly a 4 or 5 stage system will be considerably more.

Andy1
Old 08-12-2010, 01:23 PM
TECH Addict

The Aviaid "LSx-B" system is listed @ $1800, so in the big scheme of things these are not real expensive systems. I never said "cheap", but an $1800 solution is affordable to most of those who have any race track intentions. Certainly a 4 or 5 stage system will be considerably more.

Andy1
It's a hell of a lot cheaper than a new motor
Old 08-14-2010, 12:48 AM
Teching In

I have the Aviaid 3 stage system. You also need to factor in all the plumbing (about a $1000 worth), mounting everything, removing the stock oil pump, etc...

It was a big job.
Old 08-14-2010, 04:03 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by LS1-450
blackey, drilling the lifter trays helps, as well. (2) 1/2" holes side by side about 1/3 rd of the way up the tray, on the bottom side (side toward the head, not the intake). This drains oil (back to the oil pan) that otherwise would be trapped in the tray due to the lack of clearance between the pushrods & the pushrod clearance holes.

I run (2) 1 qt. bladderless pre-oilers side by side w/ drilled lifter cups & do not lose noticable oil pressure under long high g pulls or hard braking. Stock F-body pan & baffles.
Thanks for the helpful suggestions. I apologize since I have little experpience with LS internals this far.
Are you referring to what has been call the lifter buckets? (just needing clarification is all, some pictures would help if they are availabe)

Is this oiling problem isolated for production blocks only or is it also a problem with the LSX block? (wondering since the marketing says it has a revised system)
I am also in the phase of a LSX build.
Old 08-14-2010, 04:41 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

^^^
Yes, the lifter buckets. I don't know the actual LSX block. So, can't say if the oiling is any different. From what I've read, it's an iron block. Can say that the LS6 block (04 & later) provides better top end oiling, against the pre-04 LS1 block, due to a larger rear oil passage. The term LSX is also used as slang for any LS block w/ after martket head/cam...
Old 08-15-2010, 01:04 PM
Teching In

Good information to know. Thanks.
Old 08-23-2010, 01:03 PM
TECH Addict

Update on the T-1 kit--- looks like a LMPC car went through 3 LS3's this past weekend with the T-1 dry sump installed. No info yet as to what went wrong
Old 08-26-2010, 08:42 PM
Teching In

So what happened?
Old 08-27-2010, 09:07 AM
TECH Addict

Never got anymore info. I asked at what RPM, what kind of load was the motor under, and if they tore them down....just never got answered.

this may be an option for you: https://ls1tech.com/forums/road-raci...ress-cars.html
Old 08-27-2010, 11:05 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SIK02SS
Update on the T-1 kit--- looks like a LMPC car went through 3 LS3's this past weekend with the T-1 dry sump installed. No info yet as to what went wrong
What is a T-1 kit?

A friend has a Vette Grand Sport; says it has a dry sump system (stock)different than the other Vette's. Anyone have any info on what it is?

Andy1
Old 08-27-2010, 11:51 AM
TECH Addict

What is a T-1 kit?

A friend has a Vette Grand Sport; says it has a dry sump system (stock)different than the other Vette's. Anyone have any info on what it is?

Andy1
I believe the GS 'dry-sump' is the same as the Z06 dry-sump. Meaning it's a "dry-ish sump". I imagine to be completely efficient it still needs the bigger tank and baffle like the Z06's need when running on sticky rubber.

The T-1 'kit' is a 3 stage full on dry-sump. i believe this is part of it: http://www.drysump.com/corvpan2.htm

the rest can be found here: http://www.drysump.com/Products.htm
Old 08-27-2010, 12:07 PM
TECH Addict

Just got answered:
We have no definitive reason for the failures. The 55 car won the race at MidO and was taken to the shop and dynoed only before loading into the trailer for the trip to RA.
The 95 car got a new engine as the old one was down 20hp after 2 races. The new engine dynoed fine and the car was taken to RA.

The only variable was right before the first practice IMSA came by and swapped ECUs between competitors. The cars then went on track and both motors expired in 4 laps.

The 55 ate the next engine in the next session but we also don't know why. It busted up a couple of pistons in short order. Since replacing them with engines assembled by the Level 5 crew we have had no issues.
Still no help though. Might've been a bad tune on the competitors ECU (if they're even allowed to alter the tunes)
Old 08-27-2010, 04:45 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by SIK02SS
I believe the GS 'dry-sump' is the same as the Z06 dry-sump. Meaning it's a "dry-ish sump". I imagine to be completely efficient it still needs the bigger tank and baffle like the Z06's need when running on sticky rubber.

The T-1 'kit' is a 3 stage full on dry-sump. i believe this is part of it: http://www.drysump.com/corvpan2.htm

the rest can be found here: http://www.drysump.com/Products.htm
Well I searched around and found this:
http://www.motorauthority.com/blog/1...stem-explained

Andy1
Old 08-27-2010, 08:06 PM
TECH Addict

Well I searched around and found this:
http://www.motorauthority.com/blog/1...stem-explained

Andy1
ya..the stock dry-sump really isn't a true dry sump though...more of a dry-ish sump, and lots of C6Z guys who track the car with good tires are finding out it's a band aid on track and not fully effective; thus the aviaid/lingenfelter upgrades

2nd paragraph: The Setup

http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/e...ion/index.html
Old 09-06-2010, 04:08 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by OKcruising
Where are people mounting the tank in a C5? I just killed the original LS1 iin my 98 vette and have been looking at oil control systems.
Old 09-14-2010, 04:25 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Big Bu Bu
Other than catastrophic failure, what are the symptoms of G induced oil starvation? I have been told from other drivers that my car will blow some light colored smoke on the track usually towards the end of the session. Can't seem to isolate the problem since there are no evident problems with oil or coolant. Could the oil be splashing up the cylinder walls and burning off? My G meter can touch 1.2-1.3. I have a catch can. I was thinking the hi flow cats and the headers may have some smoking issues when hot. Car uses only about 1/2 quart on 2 hours of track time.
i have this issue, along with some ls1s and ls6s have this issue from autoXing. after some hard turns and high RPM, the oil begins to pool up in the heads. from what i gather, some oil will slosh into the intake, etc.
mine makes a friggin mess by the end of a full event
Old 11-08-2010, 04:45 PM
Teching In

Update on my fix... just installed an ARE dry sump set-up. Oil tank in the trunk (M3 chassis with LS2). If mine wasn't a track only car, I might have skipped it but after all the feedback here and elsewhere, plus my own on track experience with the Baffled Pan/Accusump combo, I chose fix it the right way.

Shake down of the new system is this weekend at VIR. It was kind of cool to see the oil pressure shoot to 90 psi on the dyno on the top end post-install (still using build-in pump for pressure stage). Never had that happen before so I'm encouraged it will make high-g turns and stops, a non-concern moving forward.

John

Quick Reply: ls3 Road Racing - oil Issues