Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

LS6 - Recommended AutoX/Track mods?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2010, 01:56 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS6 - Recommended AutoX/Track mods?

I picked up an LS6 for to swap into my car for the intention of using as a DD as well as auto-x/track. I am new to the LS engines and just wanted some recommendations on parts for these applications. I would prefer to be above 400RWHP and close as possible in tq.

I wanted to avoid the typical 'newb' thread so I have been reading a lot on here but my knowledge is still rather sparse so be patient please.

I have read more than a few threads on here and it seems the general consensus is that the stock LS6 camshaft is weak or 'very mild'. I intend to replace this and hopefully pick up some hp in the process. would a cam and tune alone get me over 400RWHP? I was wondering if there is anything else I should be planning? I don't want to spend a lot of cash so I am looking for easy power adders, no other internals.

Would it be exceedingly beneficial to move to a dry sump system ala LS7 (Does the LS6 have oil starvation issues with high lateral g's?)

Thoughts on LTW Flywheels?

Can anyone with a tracked/auto-xed LS6 engine give me their two cents?
Old 08-12-2010, 06:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

My 99 Corvette has a LS6 with Kooks headers, CAI and a tune. 386rwhp. 375rwtq. 6800 redline. Z06 diff. and trans. Plenty fast for autocross. It's not a bad idea to have two catch cans. One at the valley cover and the other one at the valve cover. High rpm with left hand turns really dumps oil into the catch can. I wouldn't do anything else, except some spare wheels and R compound tires. Spend all your money on seat time and good tires. And if you do track days safety would also be a priority. Check out my video's. Look for "PCA Autocross videos" on this section.

Steve A.
Old 08-17-2010, 08:42 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by mountainbiker2
My 99 Corvette has a LS6 with Kooks headers, CAI and a tune. 386rwhp. 375rwtq. 6800 redline. Z06 diff. and trans. Plenty fast for autocross. It's not a bad idea to have two catch cans. One at the valley cover and the other one at the valve cover. High rpm with left hand turns really dumps oil into the catch can. I wouldn't do anything else, except some spare wheels and R compound tires. Spend all your money on seat time and good tires. And if you do track days safety would also be a priority. Check out my video's. Look for "PCA Autocross videos" on this section.

Steve A.
Thanks for the info. The LS6 is getting custom headers to take care of clearance issues that are present when swapping into a Euro car. That being said the headers are made to allow the motor to fit in. I have no idea how well they flow, but they should flow alright. I am hoping to fabricate a ram air style of intake as no CAI kits exist for this type of setup. Also custom tune once the motor is in and running on the dyno.

Sweet vid!

The reason for doing the cam is that its an easy mod while the engine is out of the car as it would require removal of the engine and trans later.

Can anyone comment on a LTW flywheel?
Old 08-17-2010, 12:48 PM
Teching In

'03 Z06 had same results as moutainbiker2; 387rwhp and 373t. I had stock ls6 with melrose headers, callaway honker intake and tuning. I now have a built bottom end with PRC headers and the LG G5x3 camshaft.

On the road course, I believe the original ls6 cam served me just as well. I had good bottom end torque and steady power through 6800rpm. Now, the engine wakes up at 4500rpm and pulls like a demon. However, one cannot negotiate a complete road course at that high rpm with much ease. I wish I had my low rpm torque again. I will learn to live with what I have but the 418rwhp at high rpm is not quite what I thought it would be.

Stay with OEM camshaft and put on headers, intake and tune it would be my recommendation. Oh yeah, there is no way one would want to jerk a car around an autoX course with an all or nothing camshaft!
Old 08-23-2010, 10:23 AM
Teching In

I am already forced to do custom headers, intake, and tune as part of the swap so lets set those mods aside. Again this is going into a midsize Euro car.

The reason I want to look at a Camshaft and Lightweight flywheel kit now is because once the motor is in, it is staying there for a while. As both those mods will require me to remove the motor/tranny it makes more sense to do them now if they can truly be beneficial.

The engine is an 01 LS6 which has a milder cam I believe; blue valve springs so I'm sure its not a 02-04. I was looking at a torquer cam, but certainly not set yet. I'm use to seeing cams for ~$1300 not installed for my Euro motor so for 400 bucks installed it seems like a no brainer.

I've had a lightweight flywheel and clutch setup before, on a 3.2 (230 RWHP) with a redline of 8000, I liked how quick it would rev to get me in the power but it had its downsides. I don't mind a bit of chatter going through McD's or the engagement dynamics. I'm just concerned that with a shorter RPM range that it would essentially make 1st gear relatively useless, diff is a 3:23 LSD. On my 3.2 I went from a 22lbs stock flywheel to an 8lbs Alu. and it really perked up the car on the track. The 8lbs Alu lost a bit more inertia than I would have liked between shifting, or maybe I just need to be faster, but I don't that that will be a problem with a LS6 LTW flywheel as it is around 20lbs from what I have seen.

Someone must have these mods in these applications, please comment.
Old 08-23-2010, 06:07 PM
Teching In

I do have the aluminum flywheel with the Spec 2 clutch. I had to add the Tick master cylinder to get the clutch to work. Many others have had to add this extra $300 mod, also. I now like the clutch setup. Add the clutch slave bleeder line while in there. If you want to get another camshaft, go for it. After over 8K miles on road courses and many autox events, I wish I had my original OEM camshaft back. I ran plenty of sub 2:10 laps at VIR with it in a C5 Z06 @3350-3400 pounds. As I said earlier, my LG 5X cam is like an on/off switch at 4500RPM, not the best unless you really have a feel for rowing the shifter and very often! And if you think a high RPM camshaft is what you want for autox, I would like to come see how it works out for you.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:58 PM
10 Second Club

Received 431 Likes on 338 Posts

Read the sig...A crate ls6 will make more than 400rwhp

Quick Reply: LS6 - Recommended AutoX/Track mods?