Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Ideas to reduce understeer on 98 TA

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2010, 03:51 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah...the more I'm reading about all of this the more i'm thinking I need to leave it alone or get some better tools! haha. I figure i can measure camber with a angle finder...I can measure toe in/out with a tape measure, but measuring caster I haven't figured out how to do in my driveway yet. What I'd like to do is go get an alignment for the street....mark those spots on the lower-a-arm and k-member so I always know where "square" is...then before an autox event give myself some good camber and a little toe out. I'd like to see where I'm at now before I start fooling with caster, but like you said...if I mess with camber or toe...I've probably changed my caster angle....so i'm not sure what to do yet. But anyways...after the autox event I could put the alignment back to where it was on the marks for street use and not worry about killing my tires.
That's the plan anyways....I don't know how feasible that is though yet...
Old 08-25-2010, 03:54 PM
Launching!

BTW...the reason I'm really looking into this now as I'm 2 events away from winning 1st in my class with the BMWNCCA club...and this is my first year. And understeer was getting bad at my last event...so I'd like to clean that up a little....just some peace of mind and confidence that I'll be able to take it all.
Old 08-25-2010, 09:59 PM
Launching!

Ok...I think I know where I'm headed now.

0 Toe
-1.0 or up to -1.2 Camber depending on if caster allows
+4.5 Caster

I'd go to 1/32" Toe Out for an autox event if I can do it without affecting caster/camber...and then set it back afterwards...but I'm not sure I can do that as of yet, but I think I know where I want to go what needs to happen to get me there....just need to figure out the best route. I'm a DIY guy, and would love to do it on my own...but I don't understand how to measure caster. Camber and Toe I think I could manage...but getting caster right would be my failing point. I understand what caster is now though and how changes to it affects things...but how to accurately measure it gets me.

I posted up on a local forum seeing if anyone is able to help me either with an alignment machine hookup or having the tools to help me do it myself....if nothing happens from that...I'll just have to wait and spend the $$$ for a shop to do it for me.

Thank you all for your help, I really appreciate it.

Quick Reply: Ideas to reduce understeer on 98 TA