Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

New AP Racing calipers..........review

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 12:40 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New AP Racing calipers..........review

So I mentioned a few times now that I was getting some new calipers for my Touring 1 C5Z. I got them 3 weeks ago now just in time to test them out at a SCCA Double National, and then again with NASA racing in ST the following week.

These calipers are phenomenal. They are leaps and bounds over factory C5 and C6 calipers which I will spread after 3 weekends. Mated with AP's NASCAR style 2 piece full floating rotors my brake temps are back within reasonable and acceptable temps. I can't remember exactly now, but caliper temp was in the 280* F range and rotor temp was in the high 400's after a race. With the same cooling, my caliper temps before with C5 and C6 calipers were 380* (over the temperature at which the alloy begins deforming..hence spreading them) and rotor temps in the 1425*F range (F me in the A). At the double nat in Utah I was using XP16 front and XP12 rears and they felt very good with the caliper/rotors, during the NASA weekend I switched to a set of Wilwood pads a sponsor through my way; and while the race was 10-15 min shorter, they were a great pad as well (don't remember the pad # off top of head).

I've been testing on Toyo R888's with a large sidewall in the rear which threw off my ABS sensors, so my ABS was inactive during these 2 weekends, but another fellow T-1 Corvette racer used these on the NASA weekend as well and he left his ABS active; when he had the PFC ZR33's they interfered with his ABS big time, but with the AP setup he commented that everything worked flawlessly.

Here's a photo:

Car is in the shop now for body work, but I can get more if needed/wanted.

Here is the info on the calipers: http://www.essexparts.com/shop/compe...0-caliper.html

Not a sponsor here, but no one else sells them; the calipers: http://hardbarusa.com/hardbar/produc...roducts_id=156

You can also buy replacement rings for the rotors from hardbar.

AP/Hardbar/and Essex are currently working to make a rear caliper version of this same caliper for the Corvette as well. A brake bias on a Fbody (we aren't allowed bias control in my class) would work great I'm sure. I do not know how mounting these on a Fbody will differ from a Corvette.

And if anyone is really concerned, this isn't a sales pitch; multiple members asked me to post a review on this when I got them and tested them.

Which BTW, I was the 2nd person to test these, and 1st to race on them and get a race win. Since then, they have brought in 2 more podiums including a win (the other guy I mentioned) and a 3rd place by me.
Old 09-05-2010, 11:23 AM
Teching In

Chris,

Nice gettting the brakes under control. Are those Forgestar wheels?
Old 09-05-2010, 11:59 AM
TECH Addict

Ya tell me about it! It's not good when calipers become a consumable! Yes, they are F14s. Tough to beat the price/performance. The flow formed aluminum is near forged strength, super light weight, and F1 teams are racing on flow formed aluminum wheels now... Theyve seen lots of curbs after a weekend at MMP and theyre holding strong.

Quick Reply: New AP Racing calipers..........review