Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Clutch fade on track

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 04:58 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clutch fade on track

I was terribly disappointed at my last track day outing this year at Road America (HPDE). By the second session of the first day my Fidanza twin 6.5 started to slip at high rpm high gear shifts. Since the kink can be dicey, I didn't want to chance the clutch slipping tracking out and painting the wall. I have a Katech mild street track build stage 2 that puts down only 417rwhp, but the clutch, rated at 600 could not keep up. Fidanza is warrantying the clutch. It's a kevlar disk.

My question is has anyone experienced temporary clutch fade during an event and then had it return to grabbing all the time?? I'm thinking that the torque rating was OK but the heat tolerance of Kevlar wasn't up to the repeated high rpm shifting and the downshifts from very high speeds (heel and toe included). So I would assume that a road racing clutch has to tolerate heat more than have a high friction surface. Is a temporary loss of "grab" common for anyone? I'm thinking about an Exedy twin.
Old 10-25-2010, 12:12 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't have any experience with that clutch, but my last clutch had a kevlar friction surface. If it had any amount of heat in it at all it would just slip.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:35 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No experience with a kevlar disc, but it wouldn't hurt to install a remote clutch bleeder and bleed the clutch every few sessions keeping the fluid nice and clean..
Old 10-25-2010, 11:08 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SIK02SS
No experience with a kevlar disc, but it wouldn't hurt to install a remote clutch bleeder and bleed the clutch every few sessions keeping the fluid nice and clean..
I have one. Good advice.
Old 10-25-2010, 04:27 PM
TECH Resident

I have bronze/ceramic friction material on my QuarterMaster setup, and frankly have no experience with Kevlar. I do understand howerver that there's a very specific break in procedure required or it will slip. I'll try poking around to see if I can come up with the procedure somewhere.

SIK02SS brings something to mind. Some slave cylinders are forward biased, is your stock setup like this, or are you using an aftermarket (traditional) slave?

Andy1
Old 10-25-2010, 07:25 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Andy1
I have bronze/ceramic friction material on my QuarterMaster setup, and frankly have no experience with Kevlar. I do understand howerver that there's a very specific break in procedure required or it will slip. I'll try poking around to see if I can come up with the procedure somewhere.

SIK02SS brings something to mind. Some slave cylinders are forward biased, is your stock setup like this, or are you using an aftermarket (traditional) slave?

Andy1
Stock slave with remote bleeder. Bled it before track day
Old 10-26-2010, 11:19 AM
TECH Resident

I would probably give Fidanza a call directly, and perhaps double check what they recommend for their setup and any break in/bedding procedures for Kevlar. Forward biased (forward sprung) slaves are not recommended on some race clutches since it preloads the TOB against the PP fingers, but theirs may be different so you might ask them. I don't know how much (if any) of this applies, since I'm not familiar with the CTS V.

Andy1

Quick Reply: Clutch fade on track