Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Weight Mods...What You Think?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 09:31 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Weight Mods...What You Think?

I had some ideas to remove some weight from the car and gain some hp up top. since my car has become less of a dd I was think of dropping some weight from it to see if I would get any real gains from it. First I was thinking of going with 23.5in long 3" dynomax bullet mufflers straight from the header collector with turndowns. This would mean zero backpressure from the exhaust and some free ponies up top in the power band but it would also mean a delete of the big 3" xpipe, the over axle muffler pipping and mufflers. The Hooker mufflers I have are at least 30-40lbs each. The mufflers plus all the pipping I figure should mean 80-100lbs. Also my ac comp went out a while ago, I have to remove it any way to reapir or replace it so why not just keep it off for now? Its been really cold and I went without it this past summer anyway plus its what, 30-40lbs? Im also looking at some Sparco and Hunsaker racing seats that should be lighter than the stockers. So, what do you guys think? I drag race and track the car but Ive been setting it more for HPDE and autocrossing. Also lets jsut say that loudness and no ac are not an issue for me already. That car is high compression with a big cam so Im use to noise. So would I be able to notice 150-200lbs off the car and the more free flowing exhaust? Btw, I shouldnt see any real "torque loss" down low with the new exhaust. The length of the headers (32in primary) should provide the necessary exhaust scavenging effect and no back pressure is always good. Also I weighed the car in at 3220lbs as is.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Weight is the enemy. There are lots to be gained in on-track performance by reducing the weight.

Your exhaust plans are sound, but maybe consider going to a single muffler, keeping the "Y" pipe.

An exhaust pipe right under your *** will get mighty hot as there are no heat shields under there.

Replacing a "Y" back full exhaust with a bullet and turn-down will save a lot of weight. But realize that you are reducing weight mostly off the back half. So your F/R bias will change and that will affect handling to a degree.

If you are going to ditch the AC compressor, then get rid of the condenser and lines as well. This might get your F/R weight bias back.

Buy smart on your seats. Lightweight seats many times require a set-back brace which all but requires a roll bar. Lightweight seats that don't require the SBB are FIA rated and very pricey.

Cheaper, replacement "racing" seats car marginally lighter than stock. But once you install the adaptor plates to get them to fit the F-Car, you are right back to manual cloth stock seats.

With the increased exhaust noise, the radio, amp and speakers will all but be useless.

There is a LOT weight in the factory sound deadening attached to the firewall. And carpet is WAY over-rated.

Finally, there is a lot to be had by relocting the battery to the rear of the car. This will also help or makes gains toward the much coveted 50/50 F/R weight bias.

Do all that and your car should be right at #3,000.
Old 01-05-2011, 11:54 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, actually I do have some insulation in the torque tube tunnel and I have insulation wrap from work for steam piping thats good for up to 1500 degrees. These are the other things Ive been thinking about...

The seats are a thought but not sure.

I was considering removing the condenser since it will be useless now. Its dead weight plus hopefully I'll get beter cooling across the rad.

Im looking at fabricating a relocation kit for the batt. As for the carpet, I dont want to get too crazy and would like the interior to stay a bit comfortable. I otherwise wouldnt care but they wifey does ride in it from time to time. I used to run straight pipe with the headers and it was loud as hell. The car was so low the track officials couldnt look under to check. lol. I hope the bullets will help a little and sound good.