Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

T-tops

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 10:31 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T-tops

Quick question. I intend to do some autocrossing starting next summer. Do you run your cars with the T-tops in or out? Is there any advantage to either way? I know having them out shaves some weight and makes it easier to get in and out with a helmet but are there reasons you shouldn't run with them out?

Thanks,
Adam

Also what kind of tire pressure and stuff do you guys run at events? The car is a 99 camaro SS M6.
Old 01-24-2011, 12:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I run mine off for lees weight up top. Not sure hoe much it matters, and I'm far from a pro so I dont really notice. I just liek them off, and like you said, it's nicer with the helmet on.

frrax has a lot of info about ax, etc.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:33 PM
Teching In

Some clubs want them out. If they pop out they have to stop to clean up. And some let you put them in if its raining.
Old 01-30-2011, 01:11 AM
Launching!

my club doesn't care, but I take them out for the same reasons. Some will say don't dare do so unless you have SFC, but I'm not sure how much value there is in that. Air pressue all depends on what kind and size of tires you have and whats the temp for the day as well as the track surface. Just start a little higher than you think and you can easily and quickly back it down inbetween passes. In the summer I usually start with 37lbs on all 4 and work my way down. I've found that I mostly end up with 32 in the front and 28 in the rear...but that's just my tires...Kumho Ecsta XS's as they like lower pressure for grip.
Old 01-31-2011, 02:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Even with SFC I can fell my roof shifting going down the road. With the window down and holding where the windshield and T top meet I can feel the give between them, doesnt seem like the top does much, but that seems like a topic that many opinions.
Old 02-04-2011, 09:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The T-tops aren't integral to the unibody structure, so they don't provide any additional chassis stiffness. The bar that runs down the middle of the "roof" is the important part.

As far as running with no T-tops in AutoX, it probably doesn't affect aerodynamics since the speeds aren't as high, so there's no real advantage to keeping them on.

Quick Reply: T-tops