Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Need advice on brake upgrades from road racers...

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 10:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice on brake upgrades from road racers...

Mods, I apologize in advance if this is in the wrong section. I considered posting this in the suspension/brake section, but I don't know if I'd get the answers I'm looking for.

First, a brief explanation of my goals. My car is going to be a track day/weekend driver car. I want to upgrade my stopping power, but I also want reliable brakes. I want to be able to push the car hard on the track, but drive home with no worries. Performance and reliability are the main goals.

I initially wanted to do a CTS-V Brembo caliper swap, but those calipers with 14" rotors won't fit under my wheels (HP Evos, 19x9.5"). I've also heard of people having issues fitting C5 brake setups with these wheels. I keep hearing horror stories of OEM F-body, C5, and C6 calipers spreading.

I realize the serious road racers here have various criteria to meet when it comes to brakes - class rules, parts costs, etc. My question to you guys is, if you were allowed to do whatever you wanted, what brake setup would you go with?
Old 02-05-2011, 08:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I spread F-Body calipers regularly on my CMC Firebird.

I moved to a C5 caliper nad have had no issue.

I still run the 12" F-Body rotor with Carbotech pads.

I've taken my CTS-V to the road course a couple times using Hawk HPS pads and am very pleased with their on-track and daily driven on the street performance.

I could overheat them on track, but I'm not trying to win a track day.

Quick Reply: Need advice on brake upgrades from road racers...