Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

The Green Hell (nordschleife aka the Nurnburgring)

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2011, 10:08 AM
TECH Addict

Received 125 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by XxWICKEDSSxX
#1. Springs/shocks Done
#2. Wheel hubs. Myself, along with a few other people have sheared wheel hubs right in half while racing, in my case I was on street tires!!!! ordered
#3. Get you a good seat/harness/harness bar on a daily driver?
#4. All ball joints, replace bad bushings Getting done when umi stuff is installed
#5. It would be good to replace rear wheel seals. Ive had them leak rear end oil onto my rear brakes under racing conditions... not good. look into it
#6. Brake pads. Simple enough... You need something serious but not to serious. It sounds like you wont be making a ***** out lap but when you do get to that point consider a dedicated race pad. HPS for now until i get to the "***** out" mode lol
#7. DOT 4 brake fluid When i switch out the old brakes lines for SS brake lines
#8. Adjustable rear sway bar Done

I would try and find someone or some business that can take you for ride-alongs before you get your car out there... make sure you know the track before you get out there, and make sure you are well rested the night before, and eat and drink right the day of. You do not want to be tired or unfocused for such a demanding track.
I was looking into doing one of the ride alongs first just to get a feel for it.

Last edited by JoshuaGrooms83; 02-12-2011 at 02:17 PM.
Old 02-12-2011, 07:59 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes the seat is actually the most important part of any serious racecar and still very important in a spirited street car. You need to be held in tight and low in the car to where your vision and interpretation of the track is not affected by you sliding in the seat or leaning over... It also gives you better feel of what the car is doing.

Someone else also mentioned trying to do some brake ducts, that would be very beneficial for the nurburgring for sure.

Other than that just make sure your on a fresh oil change lol. You can get by with running a full quart over the full line. I do that on race weekends no problems.

Good luck and have fun!
Old 02-13-2011, 03:57 AM
TECH Addict

Ive always when 6 quarts in my car anyway. so half extra will be fine for race day
As for seats, ill have to look localy since seats will be a PAIN to ship here from the states to germany. Ive been looking for seats but dont want just any race seats since its my DD and i would like it to look good and go with the theme of my car.
I was looking into the brake ducting. Im trying to get those shields that bolt on the spindal.
Old 02-13-2011, 04:49 AM
Trunion King

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Brake ducts are a little over kill.. C'mon there are cars there aren't made to do Nurburgring IE Vans, Cappacinos w/o any of these roadrace parts and they do fine, granted they aren't going to be fast however I doubt any of us will push the car to its limits doing corners especially on street tires.

I think the biggest hurdle for any fbody owners, newb in the ring like us is the seat time. Which will happen. I'm planning on staying there more than a few days to do some track time and sightseeing.
Old 02-13-2011, 05:44 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by bene
Brake ducts are a little over kill.. C'mon there are cars there aren't made to do Nurburgring IE Vans, Cappacinos w/o any of these roadrace parts and they do fine, granted they aren't going to be fast however I doubt any of us will push the car to its limits doing corners especially on street tires.

I think the biggest hurdle for any fbody owners, newb in the ring like us is the seat time. Which will happen. I'm planning on staying there more than a few days to do some track time and sightseeing.
I know, but so is all the other stuff ive stuck in my car or will be. Have you seen my UMI list lol Whats a little brake duct work?
The thing with the little cars is just that, they are little and thus dont eat their brakes like us big oh heavy american cars do. We were screwing around one day at work and found some army vehicle scales. me and another guy did center weight and balance on our cars. He had a 2007 audi and I had my 98 TA. My front end was almost as much as the TOTAL weight of the Audi. my car out weighted his by almost 1000lbs.

Cant wait to do a ride along to get a true feel for the track and then run it myself. Been planning this almost since i got wind that i was going to germany
Old 02-13-2011, 05:57 AM
Trunion King

You're right about the weight especially yours being a T/A. I drive mine spiritedly over here around bends and corners but I have to really slow down real quick because of how heavy fbodies are compare to these miniature lighter european cars that are made to do corners faster.
Old 02-13-2011, 06:16 AM
TECH Addict

yeah, at least with UMI fornt end equipment ill lose alittle weight over the nose.

Oh and was doing a little searching for other tracks to run and found one ALOT closer to bamberg. The Hockemheinring. ITs small but alittle more modern. Cost more to run, but when i cant go to the ring, should be a good place to get some seat time in.
Old 02-13-2011, 06:56 AM
TECH Addict

for studying ive been watching this on
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6mEirkQN8o

i know i wont be doing 7.30
Old 02-14-2011, 03:33 PM
TECH Addict

and now an LS6 intake on the way woohoo

ug... and EGR/AIR block offs and LS6 coolant/blockoff pipe too.

Last edited by JoshuaGrooms83; 02-14-2011 at 03:57 PM.
Old 02-19-2011, 03:24 PM
TECH Addict

C5 brakes and front Russel brakes are on. Putting on the rear stainless brake lines on tomorrow. And front Koni SA's
Before

After

Stuff thats going on
Old 02-19-2011, 04:54 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 174 Likes on 115 Posts

It is actually spelled Nurburgring .

I had the chance to do about 10 ride along laps and drove a few myself at the Ring last summer. We were in a buddies '96 BMW 328is which was stock aside from suspension, upgraded brake pads, performance street tires/wheels. The factory brakes handled its stock power just fine and the car was a ton of fun. Car owner had done about 100 laps there and was pretty familiar with it. We were doing laps just under the 10 minute range if memory serves me right. I did get a hot lap ride along in a '02 Porsche GT3 full track car which was eye opening but didn't time it. It made about 385-400hp.... but the driver knew the track well and he was FAST with a well sorted car. Then I rented a Renault Clio (200hp) front wheel drive car to take out and share with a buddy which was super fun for a few laps... but I didn't know the track well, it was raining in some areas, and I didn't want to crash the car so I took it fairly easy. We exited the track to let the rain pass... and it did. Went back out to attack some more corners.

Biggest hurdle is seat time and weather.... It is impossible to know the track well without running at least 40-50 laps where things finally start to become recognizable. I would recommend spending any spare time you have driving a simulator (Gran Turismo) with a nice quality steering wheel/pedal setup. That will be 10x more useful than watching any videos.

Be aware of what is coming in front and especially from behind. There will be accidents you have to drive past and watch out for debris, oil on the track potentially, crazy dedicated race cars flying up on you hauling ***. Always be checking your mirrors. There are all levels of drivers out there from pros/lunatics, people with money and fast cars that aren't good drivers, to people that shouldn't be out there driving Mini Vans and other **** boxes. Take it easy for many many laps until you become familiar with some sections or you will crash your car. Don't step out of your comfort zone. Following another car that similar in power/weight is a good idea as well.

Be aware of brake fade even with your upgraded parts. Quality brake fluid for sure and bleed the **** of them multiple times. Braided steel lines too...

Weather.... one part of the track can be sunny.... patchy... where the lower portion is raining/damp. If you get a dry day consider yourself lucky. Always be thinking about changing weather out there if there is a chance of rain. Do 3-4 laps and then pull off to take a break and take some mental notes.

Overfill your oil pan by 1 quart. I would run an Improved Racing oil pan baffle or an Accusump .... or both. Synthetic fluid in the trans and rear axle for sure.

Video isn't allowed..... but you sure could hide a GoPro camera somewhere..... There are a lot of good areas to watch the track from and worth the small effort involved.

Last edited by gnx7; 02-19-2011 at 05:02 PM.
Old 02-19-2011, 10:22 PM
roy
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by gnx7
It is actually spelled Nurburgring .
Well if you donot have a European keyboard or use keyboard shortcuts that can put ü then it would be spelled as Nuerburgring.

Say Joshua when your ready to come out to Nürburgring, come over to Fbodyeurope and post it. I myself have been driving on it since 1987 and have a couple laps under my belt. There arealso a couple other members that hit the ring pretty regulary also. We also have some members that attack it quite regualry with their Fbodies. We also goto Hockenheimring to so don't be shy if you would like to come out there.

Also here is a link to the idea lines that is hosted on Fbodyeurope Nordschleife the ideal line. Special thanks to BMW for doing that with Sport Auto.
Edited for clarity

Last edited by roy; 02-19-2011 at 10:48 PM.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:14 AM
Staging Lane

Tell us when you go. Maybe I can do a nice video following your car (even if it's not allowed)...
Old 02-21-2011, 07:20 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by BenZ28
Tell us when you go. Maybe I can do a nice video following your car (even if it's not allowed)...
No prob! Where you located? I seen somwhere where they let you take pictures and vidoe for a price I believe. Ill have to look on the website. Id love to get a Video up of me on it. And some pics.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:37 AM
Staging Lane

Mainz, a little closer to the Ring than you. I'm also at fbodyeurope.org forum. I think they rent "legal" video cameras but I've got no idea for how much €€€.
Old 02-21-2011, 10:11 AM
TECH Addict

Oh ok. Im also on Fbodyeurope. I just joined it maybe a 4 or 5 months ago. i got a few posts but still feeling out the forum. LS1.com and LS1Tech are my favorites.
Old 05-06-2012, 12:56 PM
TECH Addict

im back!!! IM ALIVE!!!! lol been busy working
so far the Birdy is redy for a normal run. the new 300 stall is fully broke in, the new front suspention has settled in for the most part, and the tune is somewhat ok. just gotta make sure i only put in the off post 102 ultimate fuel from Aral or Shell. i think i know why my car was acting funny after i got the PCM bac from frost. the on post fuel pumps have been containminated by super and super 10 fuel and then try to pass it of as super plus sometimes or they switch the fuel but the tank still have the crappy fuel in it.
I noticed that once i went with the fuel form off post (although super expensive) the car is like night and day. shifts are cleaner, power doesnt dump off at higher RPM AND most importantly the check engine light doesnt come on anymroe which im sure are the fueltrim issue i waas having before. I know i need a fine tuned tune after i got it back from Frost but it should not have been throwing codes as often as it did. and after some double checking and asing frost awhile back, some issues have the simplest solutions lol like better gas.

ANYWHO lol
Im planning on racewars in july and soon after that, A ring run. probably wont have my turbo system here yet so ill see what my NA setup can do and use that as my base line.
also got a guy that ordering HP tuners and agreed to help me fine tune my car and all i have to pay for is the extra credit. pretty sweet

think i might switch out my rim setup though. the BMW rims poke out the fenders just a bit nd touc the lips occasionally when i hit big dips on the autobahn. BUT i pick up some C5 17" vette rims for free that will fit jut fine. and i can just swap out the 275s on the front and 295s on the rear right on them.

Just gotta flush out the brake lines. jut put some fresh 10w30 royal purple in there for the summer time and the tranny runs royal purpler ATF. Gotta put some quality powersteering fluid in there and double check nuts and bolts.
Old 05-06-2012, 01:33 PM
Trunion King

I thought you went already. I'm going there in Memorial Day Weekend. I just booked myself 2 nights stay in Spangdahlem AF Inn. I just finished installing a pair of aggresive brake pads and KORE3 C6 BBK. I'll be bringing my HPTuners to tune the car before I drive it in the ring.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:01 AM
Staging Lane

Guys, let me know when you go to the Ring. It's more fun to have more people going... Also please check out the threads on fbodyeurope.org about this...
Old 05-07-2012, 02:19 PM
Trunion King

Originally Posted by BenZ28
Guys, let me know when you go to the Ring. It's more fun to have more people going... Also please check out the threads on fbodyeurope.org about this...
I'll PM you. I plan running the track on Sunday.

Quick Reply: The Green Hell (nordschleife aka the Nurnburgring)