Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Anyone Tried Running Nitto NT555Rs (not RIIs) in auto-x/road course?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 04:34 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Anyone Tried Running Nitto NT555Rs (not RIIs) in auto-x/road course?

The reason I ask is because I used to run the RIIs on my C5Z and absolutely loved them. They stuck like glue in both auto-x and at my HPDE events, then I could air them down and jump out of the hole like I was on DRs at the drag strip. However, I've recently made the budget minded switch to a fourth gen SS Camaro (love the car) and am looking at possibly sticking with 17"s at all four corners. Herein lies the issue - The NT555RII is only offered in a 275/40 for a 17" wheel, which is great for my front tires, but I want to run a 315/35 in the rear. Hence, the reason I ask about the NT555R drag radial, which is available in said size.

I'm aware the only true difference between the two tires is the pliability of the sidewall with the RII obviously being the firmer of the two. However, I'm not certain how big that difference really is. I've seen people run the NT555Rs aired up at auto-x events, and they seemed to do fine, but I never had a chance to really inquire about their performance.

So, has anyone attempted using these tires in auto-x/road racing applications and, if so, how did they perform?
Old 04-20-2011, 05:37 PM
Teching In

Two questions:

Why the staggered wheel set up? Running 275's up front with 315's in the rear is going to understeer like a bastard. You'd be much better off running a balanced set up - either 275's or 315's all around.

Have you considered the NT05, NT01, or the Kuhmo Ecsta XS? The triple nickles are a great tire, but I'd be more inclined to go with either the NT01 or the Kuhmo's for an AutoX/road course tire. You could always go for some Hoosier A6's too.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldnt. Dont want that soft sidewall to be flexing all day if you plan on doing a road course.
Old 04-21-2011, 11:11 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by SnakeEater900Supra
Two questions:

Why the staggered wheel set up? Running 275's up front with 315's in the rear is going to understeer like a bastard. You'd be much better off running a balanced set up - either 275's or 315's all around.

Have you considered the NT05, NT01, or the Kuhmo Ecsta XS? The triple nickles are a great tire, but I'd be more inclined to go with either the NT01 or the Kuhmo's for an AutoX/road course tire. You could always go for some Hoosier A6's too.
Because my car is more of an "all purpose" car than a purely road course/auto-x car, I wanted to wider rear for better traction out of the hole when drag racing. The setup I've been pondering is a 285/35R18 F, 305/35R18 R NT555RII, but that would require the acquisition of a set of 18" wheels.

Now, being that this car sees a lot of street use (~10-12k per year), I figured the NT01s probably weren't the best idea. I live in Seattle and the car will, hence, also see a bit of rainy day driving. If my assumption is wrong, please provide your feedback. I ran the NT555RIIs in the rain multiple times with absolutely no issues, so long as I stayed away from standing water, obviously.

As for the NT05s, had them on a built Mustang Notch I recently sold, and I honestly was not impressed with them. Granted, the car was extremely powerful which makes traction a bit of a moot point outside of running full slicks, but the tires just seemed greasy after heating up.

You also asked "why not run 315s all around?" Well, I figured that was WAY too big for a front tire. Can these things still turn lock to lock with little or no rubbing with that big of a tire up front...? If so, I may get my hands on a set of four 18 X 10.5" C5Z rears and just run the 305/35 RIIs all the way around.
Old 04-21-2011, 03:25 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

555R's are fine on the road course. I think I ran around 30psi in my rears with no signs of the sidewall rolling over. My car understeered like a bitch off the throttle then oversteered a ton on the power with 275's up front and 315's out back. Front's were NT01's so I was hoping they would offset the extra width the rear had but they didn't.
Old 04-21-2011, 04:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

DONT RUN A STAGGERED SETUP.. It seriously will handle and turn like **** on a road course.

I actually currently run an NT01/555R setup on my car right now at the track. I got the tires for free and I couldn't think of a better use for them.

They do OK, but they have let go before my fronts, a few times.. It has been controllable, but still unwanted.

My next tire purchase will be NT01's or RA1's at all 4 corners, all in a 275. I have a few extra sets of rims for R compounds though. My street tires are Toyo Proxie 4s..
Old 04-24-2011, 05:40 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by DannyG
You also asked "why not run 315s all around?" Well, I figured that was WAY too big for a front tire. Can these things still turn lock to lock with little or no rubbing with that big of a tire up front...? If so, I may get my hands on a set of four 18 X 10.5" C5Z rears and just run the 305/35 RIIs all the way around.
I run 17x11's all the way around for AutoX with no rubbing issues. 315/35R17's fit just fine for RR or AutoX purposes. On the street I just run the factory WS6 wheels with a 275. I can honestly say that after having driven both a balanced and staggered set up, I much prefer the tires be equal width on all fours. The car corners better and is a lot more predictable. If you're going to the drag strip, bring some slicks and skinnies if the extra few pounds from a larger diameter front wheel is that big of a deal.

If you want one more good reason for a larger diameter front, think about this: You happen to be going 140+ and need to slow down quickly. Is your car going to stop faster, or slower with a greater contact patch with which to grab the road?
Old 04-24-2011, 07:09 PM
Teching In

I run 17x11's all the way around for AutoX with no rubbing issues. 315/35R17's fit just fine for RR or AutoX purposes. On the street I just run the factory WS6 wheels with a 275. I can honestly say that after having driven both a balanced and staggered set up, I much prefer the tires be equal width on all fours. The car corners better and is a lot more predictable. If you're going to the drag strip, bring some slicks and skinnies if the extra few pounds from a larger diameter front wheel is that big of a deal.

If you want one more good reason for a larger diameter front, think about this: You happen to be going 140+ and need to slow down quickly. Is your car going to stop faster, or slower with a greater contact patch with which to grab the road?
So, the 17x11's up front don't even rub at full lock? What offset are they? I'm now considering 18x10.5's w/295s at all four corners.
Old 04-24-2011, 08:16 PM
Teching In

So, the 17x11's up front don't even rub at full lock? What offset are they? I'm now considering 18x10.5's w/295s at all four corners.
Nope - not even with the suspension loaded going around a corner. They're 17x11's with 56mm & 36mm offset. The car's lowered and I run a 15mm spacer on the rear with extended wheel studs. It's a really great set up actually, I like it a lot.
Old 04-24-2011, 08:45 PM
Teching In

Nope - not even with the suspension loaded going around a corner. They're 17x11's with 56mm & 36mm offset. The car's lowered and I run a 15mm spacer on the rear with extended wheel studs. It's a really great set up actually, I like it a lot.
I'm really surprised a +56mm 11.0" fits up front with no issues... No spacers or anything for the fronts?
Old 04-25-2011, 01:00 AM
Teching In

I'm really surprised a +56mm 11.0" fits up front with no issues... No spacers or anything for the fronts?
Nope - no spacers up front. I can put the wheels on Tuesday and shoot some pics if you want. It's supposed to thunderstorm tomorrow else I'd do it then.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:21 AM
Teching In

Nope - no spacers up front. I can put the wheels on Tuesday and shoot some pics if you want. It's supposed to thunderstorm tomorrow else I'd do it then.
If you don't mind doing that, it would be great.
Old 04-25-2011, 02:29 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My OE Wheels 17x11 ZR1 replicas with a 50mm offset do require a spacer not to rub on the spindle. I'm currently running a 5/16" spacer but a 7/32" one works too. They don't rub the inner fender and I do put them through their range of motion. Here is an autocross picture showing them in a pretty extreme circumstance. I do have a set of 18x10.5's as well and they do not require a spacer.

Old 04-25-2011, 02:56 PM
Launching!

The reason I ask is because I used to run the RIIs on my C5Z and absolutely loved them. They stuck like glue in both auto-x and at my HPDE events, then I could air them down and jump out of the hole like I was on DRs at the drag strip. However, I've recently made the budget minded switch to a fourth gen SS Camaro (love the car) and am looking at possibly sticking with 17"s at all four corners. Herein lies the issue - The NT555RII is only offered in a 275/40 for a 17" wheel, which is great for my front tires, but I want to run a 315/35 in the rear. Hence, the reason I ask about the NT555R drag radial, which is available in said size.

I'm aware the only true difference between the two tires is the pliability of the sidewall with the RII obviously being the firmer of the two. However, I'm not certain how big that difference really is. I've seen people run the NT555Rs aired up at auto-x events, and they seemed to do fine, but I never had a chance to really inquire about their performance.

So, has anyone attempted using these tires in auto-x/road racing applications and, if so, how did they perform?

personally go with the new NT05 not the drag ones just the NT05 i run them on my car and they are unbeatable on the street and autox they have the best grip and break away then any other tire i have tried please serously do some research on them I SWEAR by these tires i have a 99 z28 that i drag and auto cross a ton and i run 17x11 front and rear

here is a pic of my car

i can not break my car loose with NT05"s
Old 04-25-2011, 03:07 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Jeff94TA
My OE Wheels 17x11 ZR1 replicas with a 50mm offset do require a spacer not to rub on the spindle. I'm currently running a 5/16" spacer but a 7/32" one works too. They don't rub the inner fender and I do put them through their range of motion. Here is an autocross picture showing them in a pretty extreme circumstance. I do have a set of 18x10.5's as well and they do not require a spacer.

Looks good. What are the offsets of the 18 X 10.5"s you have?

Last edited by DannyG; 04-25-2011 at 04:49 PM.
Old 04-25-2011, 04:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Bump for a great thread. I've done a bit of research on this too and came to the conclusion that I'll be just fine using the 555R's at my HPDE in June.

Sure it isn't the perfect road course tire, however we should be able to get by on them just fine. The alternative was buying another set of tires (and or wheels for the road course days) and then dealing with the time and expense of changing them back out for street driving and or track (drag) time.
Old 04-25-2011, 04:48 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Midnight02
Bump for a great thread. I've done a bit of research on this too and came to the conclusion that I'll be just fine using the 555R's at my HPDE in June.

Sure it isn't the perfect road course tire, however we should be able to get by on them just fine. The alternative was buying another set of tires (and or wheels for the road course days) and then dealing with the time and expense of changing them back out for street driving and or track (drag) time.
the NT05 are better then the 555R...
Old 04-25-2011, 04:57 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by racerfox
personally go with the new NT05 not the drag ones just the NT05 i run them on my car and they are unbeatable on the street and autox they have the best grip and break away then any other tire i have tried please serously do some research on them I SWEAR by these tires i have a 99 z28 that i drag and auto cross a ton and i run 17x11 front and rear

here is a pic of my car

i can not break my car loose with NT05"s
What wheels are those? They look similar to the CCW Classics, but I can tell they aren't. I feel like a broken record with the question I'm about to ask but; what are the offsets and do you use spacers?

I actually ran the NT05s on a Fox body I had and wasn't all that impressed with them, but I also didn't get a chance to really put them to the test in auto-x before I sold the car. And breaking the tires loose with 465 rwhp in a 2,800 lb car is just a given.
Old 04-25-2011, 07:01 PM
Launching!

yea my car had 450 rwhp and 408 foot pounds but the NT05 in 17x11 are so grippy its hard honestly i dont know the offset the fronts are with spacers

my NT05 lasted me a while and with proper psi in them it was hard to break them under 70 mhp on a auto x course
Old 04-25-2011, 11:17 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by racerfox
yea my car had 450 rwhp and 408 foot pounds but the NT05 in 17x11 are so grippy its hard honestly i dont know the offset the fronts are with spacers

my NT05 lasted me a while and with proper psi in them it was hard to break them under 70 mhp on a auto x course
Very good info. Seeing that the car will see a lot of street use, NT05s would be a good option. Now I just need to get my car up in the air so I can take some measurements and figure out the ideal offset for a 10.5" in the front.

Quick Reply: Anyone Tried Running Nitto NT555Rs (not RIIs) in auto-x/road course?