Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Race tracks that aren't... yet

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2011, 05:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Race tracks that aren't... yet

Have you ever driven a road and thought it would make a cool road course? I just drove through the Joshua Tree National Park main access road, from Cotton Wood up to the town of Joshua Tree and thought it would be a blast at full bore. Too bad I'm driving a grossly underpowered rental SUV.

Have you seen a road like this?

Last edited by 1981TA; 09-11-2011 at 02:18 AM.
Old 09-13-2011, 05:09 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't remember the street names but when I would get sent out to albany for work my chevy express 2500 would often be driven at its limits through some nasty mountain roads in the sticks. Nobody that hasn't driven one hard will ever understand but those stupid vans handle amazing!

4.8L V8 has just enough grunt to get the brakes smoking after a little while. The van is setup with minor understeer but at the right MPH it will hammer 2nd gear and you can get some rotation under power...

edit: yes I have come across certain streets that I would love to have blocked off for a racing event.
Old 09-13-2011, 11:45 PM
wrencher

All though not even close to being safe to race on, the smokey mountains national park.
There are some great roads there.
Not to mention the tail of the dragon.
But all are public roads on moutains so not really suitable, but still fun.
Old 09-14-2011, 07:30 AM
Banned

There are pieces of road that I drive and think "OK this would make a great section/turn for a road course". Now I just need $10M-$12M to build the track.

Feff
Old 09-25-2011, 07:56 AM
Staging Lane

GMR( San Gabriel Mountain Road) in Southern California is highly popular. But like all these roads have in common therefore lack is the break in turns. I know for myself that after about 15-20min of turns at WOT i begin to feel sick to my stomach. A successful track needs the straights to take the monotony out of non stop turns. I do believe though late at night alot of those turns on our favorite stretches make for great practice on entering and exiting corners. just my $.02
Old 09-28-2011, 02:57 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

California State Route 20 between Willits and Fort Bragg is freaking awesome! It's basically a windy forest road with elevation changes galore. There are gentle turns, tight turns and some turns that are more than 180 degrees. All this sprinkled with a few short straights makes this a fun drive in my WS.6 as well as my Dodge Ram CTD!

Old 09-28-2011, 11:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cruising up to big bear from hwy18 and down the back way has always been fun for my buddy and I.

Quick Reply: Race tracks that aren't... yet