Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Factory seat belt not locking

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2011, 12:08 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Factory seat belt not locking

My driver and passenger belts will not lock in position. I can tighten the lap portion, but the shoulder belt will not lock. Is this suppose to work this way? I am to the point now in the HPDE's that I don't want to use the steering wheel to "hold on" to the car. Maybe this is the way these cars' seat belts are suppose to work, but I am not sure.
I posted it here because if I was street driving, I would have never noticed this issue.
1999 Pontiac T/A WS6 M6
Thanks
Old 09-15-2011, 12:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

That's the way they work. They should lock when you give them a sharp pull (as might happen in an accident) but normally stay loose. If you do a lot of HPDEs, I'd consider getting a competition oriented seat belt.
Old 09-15-2011, 04:13 PM
Formally Simplɘ Jack

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Who needs seat belts anyways?
Old 09-15-2011, 05:23 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have rode in several Z06's; in those you tighten the belt up where you want it and give it 2 tugs and it will lock in position until you get out of the seat. I have had numerous tech inspectors tell me they thought I should check out why my belts will not catch in "lock" position at all. All other seat belts I have ever used will lock when pulled very quickly, these refuse to lock. I thought maybe this was some safety feature for 1999, but it sounds like the belts themselves are junk.

Quick Reply: Factory seat belt not locking