Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Classifying an Odd Bird

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 07:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Classifying an Odd Bird

This thread comes from poking through the various NASA car classes and getting brain itch trying to figure out where my car fits best. The car is a modified 1981 Pontiac Trans Am. The closest classes seem to be AI/AIX, ST2 or NXA/B. Can anyone lend insight? The car has the following mods:
  • Engine: LS1 from 2001 base Corvette (factory stock long block, Edelbrock intake and headers, Holley throttle body EFI),
  • Transmission: T56 from 1998 Camaro (stock internals, lightweight clutch)
  • remaining drive train: aluminum drive shaft, 10-bolt POSI 3.23 with disc brakes, DS loop planned.
  • Front subframe/suspension: Factory frame, with stock sway bars, stock suspension mounting locations, solid motor mounts, Global West A-arms and springs, Wilwood 12" front brakes, and bolt-in subframe connectors.
  • Wheels/Tires: 16x8 1987 Trans Am GTA wheels with 245/50 Firestone Firehawks for street use. I may go with 18x9.5s and 275s for track.
  • Weight reduction is considerable: Factory curb weight was 3435 pounds. I estimate it at 3100 now.

Horsepower is around 375 at the wheels and I want to avoid classes where build cost gets very high in order to stay in the pack (I've seen some very high-dollar setups for ST2 here).

Last edited by 1981TA; 11-30-2011 at 11:50 PM.
Old 12-01-2011, 03:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

unless its strictly a race car and nothing more, ie: stripped, gutted, full cage, fire suppression, etc, its NOT an AI/AIX. those are wheel-to-wheel race classes, not track day or autox classes.
Old 12-01-2011, 05:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by EchoMirage
unless its strictly a race car and nothing more, ie: stripped, gutted, full cage, fire suppression, etc, its NOT an AI/AIX. those are wheel-to-wheel race classes, not track day or autox classes.
The car will soon have a 6-point bar (not full cage). For the time being, however, it will retain most of its interior. I'm thinking that, after doing a few track days and building up my skills, I'll be in a better position to decide whether or not to go the full gut route with this car or jump to something different.

FWIW, I was this --> <-- close to winning a running Miata at QCSA last month. Didn't beat the reserve, unfortunately. The car had been in a burning house and was solid (soot covered, but solid): $175. It would have been a perfect foundation for a Spec Miata build.

Quick Reply: Classifying an Odd Bird