Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

LG C5 converson question

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2004, 06:47 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You are kidding, right?
You are gonna drag around a full size spare tire?

If you are paranoid enough to have to have a spare tire, then keep the stocker and carry around a small jack stand so you can switch tires around in the REMOTE chance you do have a flat, are all alone, cell phone battery is dead and all your friends have shunned you.
Old 11-07-2004, 08:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No, I'm not kidding, nor am I paranoid.
I've always carried a full sized spare in all my vehicles as well as a small hydraulic jack in a plastic case along with a nice chrome 4 way lug wrench. To me, a flat tire is a 5-10 minute annoyance. To call a wrecker (flatbed) or a friend can take much, much longer. Plus the wrecker costs $.
A full sized spare also lets you drive much faster than the space saver. If you are on a road trip, that can make all the difference.

Note, with this car, I haven't found a hydraulic jack short enough to fit under my lowered car, so I still use the factory jack. God is it slow. I'm also probably going to use the space saver spare for city use and keep a full sized spare at home and carry it only on out of town trips. I also plan on making a nice, durable bag to hold a dirty 315 tire in the back seat area should I need to change it.

I just like being prepared.
Old 11-07-2004, 01:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by JasonWW
I just like being prepared.
So how do you "prepare" to protect yourself in case of an accident?

All those projectiles you have sitting behind you sounds a lot more threatening as opposed to calling a buddy and waiting 30 minutes ...
Old 11-07-2004, 08:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by mitchntx
So how do you "prepare" to protect yourself in case of an accident?

All those projectiles you have sitting behind you sounds a lot more threatening as opposed to calling a buddy and waiting 30 minutes ...
Accidents are accidents. In an F-body, you better duck down and kiss your *** goodbye.

Just kidding.
Old 11-08-2004, 08:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

So a flat is a "purpose" instead of an "accident"?

Old 11-08-2004, 12:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Both are "accidents", but different definitions of the same word.

Accident:
1. chance: the way things happen without any planning, apparent cause, or deliberate intent

2. crash: a collision or similar incident involving a moving vehicle, often resulting in injury or death

3. mishap: an unplanned and unfortunate event that results in damage, injury, or upset of some kind

4. chance happening: an event that happens completely by chance, with no planning or deliberate intent

My spare tire would be bolted down or tethered if it was in a position to fly forward.
We are getting way off topic, here.

Jason.
Old 11-09-2004, 06:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

No, we aren't getting off topic.
The issue you bring up is a definite concern when one upgrades to larger brakes.

However, the chance of having a flat, while remote, exists.

I guess if GM thought the risk was great, they would have figured out how to get a spare in a C5. But they didn't.
Old 11-09-2004, 09:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

The one thing I DO like about the C5, is it's inflation monitor system that tells you if a tire is going below a safe pressure. That way you could slow down and pull over before the tire shreds or you loose control.

I've seen add on kits, but for the money, I would want one that gives an accurate readout of all four tires so I can keep track of hot and cold temps, etc... The kit's I've seen don't do that.

The LG kit does look good and doesn't require cutting. I guess it's the only alternative now that Bob Bishop isn't making his anymore.
Old 11-09-2004, 07:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Last time out, I had a flat on a 315 Kuhmo V700.

It was very obvious when the tire started to go down.
Old 11-11-2004, 01:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Buy run flats and the Z06 "o **** i got a flat" kit.
Old 11-11-2004, 10:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by stang killer
Buy run flats and the Z06 "o **** i got a flat" kit.
I'm not sure who you are talking to, but the run flat tires are pretty crappy and most vette guys change them out. So I wouldn't recommend that tire to anyone. And that kit isn't much help.
Old 11-29-2004, 02:26 PM
Teching In

Dakotadigital has a kit for $400 that shows all 4 tire press in PSI and can show the temps too.
Old 01-05-2005, 08:05 AM
TECH Apprentice

I'm just guessing here, but what spare do the vette's use? Since you are using vette brakes I thought it might work.
Old 01-05-2005, 08:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ramairbrc
I'm just guessing here, but what spare do the vette's use? Since you are using vette brakes I thought it might work.
The C5's don't use spares.
Old 01-05-2005, 07:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Interesting. $50,000 for a car and no spare tire. So, run-flats it is!!
Old 01-06-2005, 03:49 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ramairbrc
So, run-flats it is!!
Not if you want any performance from your tires. Yeah, no spare would make me a little nervous as well. Especialy since we run tires that are around ~twice as wide as a normal pasenger vehicle's tire, it should have twice as much opportunity to pick something up.
Old 01-11-2005, 01:31 PM
Teching In

Is there a huge difference in braking with the Z06 brake upgrade?
Old 01-11-2005, 08:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Even though I haven't done the upgrade, I'm pretty sure the difference isn't huge. You are basically just increasing the amount of torque you can apply to the brakes. The stock brakes with aggressive pads can do that also. The real advantage is that the 13" rotor with the same aggressive pad can either apply a bit MORE torque or it can apply the SAME torque while running cooler.

It would also be good if you wanted to fill out a rim or to get some more torque from a stock pad without the increase in brake dust that you get from more aggressive pads. These last 2 reasons aren't that big of a deal unless you think they are worth the 500-600 dollar cost. This is just my opinion. The choice on upgrading your brakes is still up the individual.
Old 01-11-2005, 09:45 PM
Teching In

How 'bout even the Brembo brakes with the multi piston calipers and all.

Is that a huge difference? I'd hope so for the 2+ thousand dollar price tag.
All i do is autox so i don't actually "need" extra stopping power but i would like some extra stopping power for regular , sometimes slightly agressive, driving.
Old 01-12-2005, 07:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 99hawk409
How 'bout even the Brembo brakes with the multi piston calipers and all.

Is that a huge difference? I'd hope so for the 2+ thousand dollar price tag.
All i do is autox so i don't actually "need" extra stopping power but i would like some extra stopping power for regular , sometimes slightly agressive, driving.
It doesn't sound like you need a rotor upgrade. The LS1 cars have great brakes from the factory, even though the pads leave a lot to be desired. What are your stock brakes not doing? Not gripping enough? You should try a more aggressive pad. If you are able to overheat them and they start to fade, change the brake fluid and add cooling ducts. If aggresive pads, ducts and new fluid is still overheating, then do the rotor upgrade. That's usually the order to do it in.

There is a company in Canada called Williams Performance Friction that have a pad specifically for S2 Autocross. It is extremely grippy cold or hot like a race pad, but has a 750*F limit. Williams says "They have a cold friction rate of 5.5 and a hot friction rate of 5.9 and their service temp is 750 degrees F and after that you will have fade." I take that with a grain of salt, but if those numbers are even close, you better be carefull not to launch yourself through the windshield. They are reformulating it at the moment to increase the heat range a little to respond to some of the higher speed autocross courses that have started to appear. The pad is called the S2. They seem just right for my daily driver as they are supposed to be quiet during daily use and only dust a little. I'm going to get a set in a few weeks (when the new formula is ready) and will report back.

Check this thread for some more info:
http://racing.kos.net/soloforums/sho...s&pagenumber=1

There's probably even more info if you do a search for them on that Canadian forum.

Williams Performance Friction Products are at:
wpfri .com

Last edited by JasonWW; 01-12-2005 at 07:34 AM.

Quick Reply: LG C5 converson question