Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Does no one on LS1Tech know how much fun AutoX is?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 03:04 PM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im going to try this soon, the main reason i want to try iy is more seat time /fun,dragstrip is fun but i cant wait to try this,as soon as i get some new wheels ill check it out
Old 07-19-2012, 03:28 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1981TA
Now we're talking. The pic in my sig comes from the MFBA outing at Road America this spring (leaving the track at turn 5 after a 20 minute session). Is there going to be a fall track weekend at RA this year?
No Fall session. We tried to get a date that would work but they were all a little too far into the Winter so we were worried about attendance and weather.

So spring it is....
Old 07-23-2012, 08:46 AM
Staging Lane

I have never auto x'ed but I want to try badly. I set my car up for the twisties and usually do some spirited driving around the back roads of NW CT. I have an absolute BLAST in the corners. I know I can push my car A LOT harder, but I keep it rather tame on the streets for obvious reasons. I can't wait to hit some auto x/road courses so that I can test its limits in a controlled environment.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:52 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Autox is good for finding the "upset limits" of the car at low speed and it's fun. But depending on the location I find they are often set up so tight they can make a larger/ more powerful car less impressive than it is even driving conservatively on the backroads. Especially throwing around as much weight as I am.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:53 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was in the middle of building my 94 Z28 street/strip car and was coaxed into going to a HPDE and riding with my buddies who are instructors.....the hook was set. This was 6 or so years ago.

The 94 Z28 is gone, drag racing sucks compared to turning.

BTW, $1200 for a set of tires????? My NT-05 are around $650.

I now have a 99 Z28

Muskegon auto x at the Hot Rod Power Tour, I did the long haul.

http://youtu.be/lU_qRoXfFW0

Finished 11th out of 68 cars on junker street tires.

At Road Atlanta.

http://youtu.be/6LfTi-nswh4
Old 07-23-2012, 10:20 AM
Staging Lane

If I had not experienced a car that handles so well I probably would have built the car for straight line performance. The car that go me hooked is my parents "toy" a 2004 S2000. Ever since throwing that thing around some backroad corners I was hooked. Now I spend all my time researching how to set my car up better and im constantly trying to find twisty roads around my state.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:25 AM
Launching!

autox is is great fun but soon you move to something like this later

Old 07-23-2012, 03:04 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Old 07-23-2012, 03:04 PM
On The Tree

I just did my first this weekend. I never had this much fun at the drag strip...but to each his own.
Attached Thumbnails Does no one on LS1Tech know how much fun AutoX is?-pic-.jpeg   Does no one on LS1Tech know how much fun AutoX is?-pic-2-1024.jpeg   Does no one on LS1Tech know how much fun AutoX is?-pic-3-1024.jpeg   Does no one on LS1Tech know how much fun AutoX is?-pic-4-1024.jpeg  
Old 07-23-2012, 06:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by camaro1185
I have never auto x'ed but I want to try badly. I set my car up for the twisties and usually do some spirited driving around the back roads of NW CT. I have an absolute BLAST in the corners. I know I can push my car A LOT harder, but I keep it rather tame on the streets for obvious reasons. I can't wait to hit some auto x/road courses so that I can test its limits in a controlled environment.
northwest ct eh? your not far from where i usually throw my pile around the cones. the boston chapter of the BMW club puts on some really great auto-x events and its at devens air force base so its really not far for you. i think its
$80 for a year membership and roughly $40 an event.
Old 07-23-2012, 06:50 PM
TECH Resident

Auto-X was a blast when I tried it. I'd like to get out on a real Road Course one day, but I need a lot better parts for that.
Old 07-23-2012, 07:26 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by subarubill96
northwest ct eh? your not far from where i usually throw my pile around the cones. the boston chapter of the BMW club puts on some really great auto-x events and its at devens air force base so its really not far for you. i think its
$80 for a year membership and roughly $40 an event.

Ill have to check it out, thanks.

Davens Air Force Base, did they have some mazda thing there about 6 years ago where you got to "auto-x" the new models? I did that, it was a blast.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:08 PM
Staging Lane

I've never attempted auto-x or of course a real road course for that matter. One question though, can you still have fun if your car is an automatic, or are you too hindered by the transmission? My 98 SS is an A4 and I have to admit driving the hell out of a course really piques my interest more than a quarter mile drag strip.
Old 07-23-2012, 09:21 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by cdgreg
I've never attempted auto-x or of course a real road course for that matter. One question though, can you still have fun if your car is an automatic, or are you too hindered by the transmission? My 98 SS is an A4 and I have to admit driving the hell out of a course really piques my interest more than a quarter mile drag strip.
You sure can, I do it in my car which is currently auto (t56 sitting next to it in the garage). If the car is set up to corner flat, and you have some decent power, it can be really fun. My car has every suspension mod possible and it truly handles like its on rails.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:05 PM
Teching In

Smile

Originally Posted by 1QWIKBIRD
Autox is fun, but be warned, it is just like every other form of motorsports. The more competitive you get the more $$$$ you need. The seat time versus $$$$ spent is far better than drag racing.

But don't fooled, racing still stakes $$$, parts still break, tires (all four, not just the back two) need to be replaced (at $1200 a set min.), motors still need to be built, cages still need to be installed, lightweight parts still rule the day, etc. etc. etc........Unless you stay in F-stock (where the new Mustangs will crush you) or ESP (E-street prepared), modified new Mustangs crush you even more. Venture outside of those two classes (SCCA rules) and into SM (Street Modified), land of the AWD turbo crowd or Modded M3's. Or step further into the fray, CP (C-prepared). This is a purpose built race car on the national level. Either way (SM or CP) get ready to spend and remove significant weight to stay competitive.

http://www.streetortrack.com/files/p...esp-camaro.jpg

http://www.unbalancedengineering.com...s/CaseyESP.jpg

http://www.baautox.com/forum/index.p...h=7501&start=0

It is fun, but it is still racing. More driver oriented than drag racing maybe, but it still takes a reasonable amount of $$$$ and time. Autox is all about seat time and being on good rubber. When either of those two things aren't in harmony you are just riding around taking in the sights. The first words out of most autox guys after just about any run goes something like this "......I was on old tires" Or ".....I was just shaking the rust off"

Get our there and have fun, just don't get too carried away or you could end up with a gutted 4th gen, with fender flares, 10pt cage, built motor, beefed up drivetrain, no creature comforts, gutted doors and dash, race seat (singular) and safety equipment......sounds a lot like drag racing at that point doesn't it?
Hey are you talking about my car I been autocrossing my camaro for about 10 years nothing but fun ,but just like drag racing how fast do you want to go and there are easier,cheaper ways to go fast than in a camaro
Attached Thumbnails Does no one on LS1Tech know how much fun AutoX is?-kevins-car-2011.jpg  
Old 07-24-2012, 07:26 AM
Teching In

Autox is definitely the way to go its fun, cheap, and very friendly. This is my second season, and I'm still learning more each time. (getting faster too). There is a group right in CT that puts on Autox events just about every other weekend at Thompson speedway, Hartford and Mohegan sun. Check out www.cartct.com the next event is August 5th. See you there
Old 07-24-2012, 07:40 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Dark_Pheonix
Check out www.cartct.com the next event is August 5th. See you there
You probably will see me there along with my buddy whos got a 2000 TA. It will be both our first times!
Old 07-24-2012, 08:06 AM
Teching In

This has to be the sexiest ls1 car I have seen. re-subsribing to GMHTP just because of this. LOL
Old 07-24-2012, 08:29 AM
TECH Addict

how much do events cost around you guys?

I went a few times and really liked it, they have a huge smooth lot, but then they steadily rose the price to $60 per event and most of the time the afternoon session only gets 6 runs. So you're basically paying $10 per run and you have to chase cones for 4 hours straight while the other groups run which really sucks on hot days
Old 07-24-2012, 09:15 AM
Teching In

I run mostly with the north jersey scca they run up at giant stadium its the best lot on the east coast for autox 1million sq feet and lots of grip. You get between 6-8 runs ,course times in my car are between 45-65 seconds. you do have to work but the work time is only 1-1.5 hours. You wont find a better run autocross than the nnjr scca, def worth checking out

Quick Reply: Does no one on LS1Tech know how much fun AutoX is?