Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Black Ice AutoX

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2004, 12:17 AM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Black Ice AutoX

Well I finally participated in my first AutoX today! Unfortunately though, it wasn’t a good day for newcomers: The E-Center has been known as the “black-ice” place since they sealed the blacktop and left a slick surface. To make it worse, it rained all day even while we were racing, making it even slicker. Add to that me being new to this and having a front-engined, rear wheel drive car with 400 hp turned out to be the recipe for some nice 360 deg spin-outs! The girl that was supposed to be riding with me to give some instruction had her hair standing on end! I really didn’t care though, just wanted to have some fun. And I shaved a couple seconds off each run as I figured out what I “can and can not” ask of my car. It basically comes down to not even using the gas pedal . . . Later in the day I saw some low powered front wheel drive cars do 360’s also, so I didn’t feel bad. I came in 15th in a field of 20 cars in the street Mod Class. It seemed strange that I got beat by VW’s, Honda’s, Toyota’s, Nissans and Suburu’s, but I had a better time than every Mustang there! (although not by much) I think it’s evident that muscle car’s aren’t the best for this sport. Even so, I’m going to hit a few more events, though. The guy with the 500 hp ’68 Camaro race car on slicks bagged it after two runs and went home!
Old 04-20-2004, 12:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like a lot of fun, did you get any video by chance?
Old 04-20-2004, 09:56 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

No, unfortunatly no video My digital camera takes pretty jerky motion shots, and I don't have a video camera. Too bad, those snap spins would have made cool vid clips. I may rig up some kind of a mount for my digital cam and try that anyway at the next event.
Old 04-20-2004, 10:01 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Not my car, but a pretty good autoX clip, it's a '68 Firebird:
http://www.racehome.com/downloaddir/...ad-clip-sm.mpg
Old 04-23-2004, 12:56 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Cal
It seemed strange that I got beat by VW’s, Honda’s, Toyota’s, Nissans and Suburu’s, but I had a better time than every Mustang there! (although not by much) I think it’s evident that muscle car’s aren’t the best for this sport.
Don't feel bad. A 90hp Civic kicked all our asses at my first AutoX event!!!

Tommy
Old 04-23-2004, 01:04 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Yeah I think we need to find a way to get some weight off the nose of these Fbodies. My battery is going to either get replaced by a lightweight bat or get moved to the trunk.
Old 04-23-2004, 02:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TaTommyWS6
Don't feel bad. A 90hp Civic kicked all our asses at my first AutoX event!!!

Tommy
One of my favorite videos is from an open track session that I was at on Road Atlanta. Front straight, a red stockish looking Civic hatchback passes a Ferrari F40 in front of everyone.

It was awesome, he carried so much speed into turn 12 that even with more hp, the Ferrari couldn't hold him off on the straight.

Quick Reply: Black Ice AutoX