Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Post your racing resume

Old 06-28-2013, 08:27 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by beach cruiser
I grew up in Rural VA, and driving those back roads in my 67 Camaro was like road racing to me. I started to build my camaro as a pro touring style car way back in the mid 80's before it was the new thing. Then came Collage and Formula SAE, I was part of the Va Tech team that won the championship in 1991. Also during that time I worked on a Winston cup team on the weekends away from school. I was the gas catch man for Dave Marcis for 5 years. Only claim to fame from that is that I'm actually in the movie "Days of Thunder" so technically I'm a movie star! LOL
Then came graduation and the introduction to the real world, and boom a kid! So that explains the 20 year gap until now.
Since I got into my WS6 (it was my wifes first till she got a vette) I started Autoxing it locally. It took a couple of years to get the car competitive but I was able to win the State Championships with it twice in ESP, and many local series championships. I've also done some "spectator drags" in it here but we call it wacky wendsday here at the local short track. I've done many HPDE's in it at VIR and NCCAR and I'm now an HPDE3 driver. I've also driven Road Atlanta in a Camaro rental car, and CMP in my trusty 67 camaro. The WS6 is now retired and the Camraro is now an all out Track car complete with C5 suspension up front and C4IRS in the back powered by a built LS1. I'll be at VIR in July with NASA with it.

Love this car, cool as cool gets
Old 06-28-2013, 03:11 PM
QTB
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When you started getting into racing?
Age 8 with RC cars at 18 I was doing occasional Auto-x. After college I bought my 350Z and started doing 15+ Auto-x per year, about 3 years ago I started HPDE, this year I started Time Trials with NASA

What kinds of racing you've done for how many years and where?
Auto-X 8years, Midwest from Kansas City to Minneapolis
HPDE 2 years, MAM, HPT
TT In my first year with NASA Central Region

What accomplishments/achievements you've gotten throughout those years?
2006 NASA SCCS Region Auto-x Class C champion
Earned my TT lic last year

What cars you've driven/owned while racing?
1993 Ford Probe GT
1992 Lexus SC300
2006 Nissan 350Z (LS2 powered)
2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302

Any footage or photos?

Latest with the Z at HPT

My channel has hours of track footage in the Boss and the Z over the last 3 years.

Last edited by QTB; 06-28-2013 at 03:16 PM.
Old 06-29-2013, 10:33 AM
Teching In

When you started getting into racing?

-Around 12 playing Gran Turismo lol. When I was 16 I got a CRX with a ZC motor swap and started really getting into cars

What kinds of racing you've done for how many years and where?

-Early last year I got my CTS-V and so far I've done 6 or so track days at the Oklahoma County Sheriffs Proving Grounds. My goal is to go to Hallett (a regional track here in Oklahoma) a few times by the end of the year and either start modding my cts-v some more or buy a more dedicated track car in 2014. I aim to be doing NASA events by 2015

On a side note, I can confidently say that Gran Turismo has helped me a ton. I am no driving expert by any means, but even on my first day a the track, I was smoother, more controlled, and quicker than a lot of my peers. It also helped my footwork a lot.
Old 07-01-2013, 06:25 AM
On The Tree

Racing has been a dream of mine ever since I was a little boy. My parents never held an interest in racing nor could we have afforded it so I was always told that once I graduated from college I could do what I wanted (funded by my own pocket). I graduated from the University of Georgia in 2007 and bought my first car (an '01 z28) that same year after getting my first "real" job. In 2009 one of my best friends let me do my first HPDE in his track car at the time. It was obviously the coolest thing I'd ever done and knew it was time to build my own. I started with an LT1 Trans am but ended up selling it and bought a 1998 Camaro which I've now built into a NASA American Iron race car. In November 2012 I got my competition license and ran in my first race in December 2012. When I got into the HPDE/racing scene my mechanical skills were as basic as they could be. I've now built my own race car so for anyone reading this, don't let the lack of mechanical skill/knowledge keep you from pursing racing if you're passionate about it.

My real racing passion has always been circle track racing. The next race car I build/buy will be an asphault late model... hopefully.

Last edited by athornt2; 07-01-2013 at 07:21 AM.
Old 07-03-2013, 06:28 PM
10 Second Club

athornt2...do you have any under the hood pics...love what you did w/ the hood
Old 07-03-2013, 08:46 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Demonicbird00
"Front breather"
Old 07-04-2013, 05:41 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Demonicbird00
Thanks! Here are a few pics:

I have since redesigned this but you get the idea

Not trying to hijack this thread. I have enjoyed reading about everyone's racing background!
Old 07-04-2013, 10:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've been more into test and tune. I started doing that about 6 or 7 years ago with a not so fast Grand Am. I moved up to the Camaro. I also just started doing some HPDE with the Z06. I went to the first one in March. Roebling Road in Savannah, GA was a blast. I highly recommend track insurance now. My buddy totaled his Vette that weekend at turn 9.

Here my favorite picture of my Z06 at the track

I'm also going to the WannaGOFAST event in September at the 1/2 airstrip.
Old 07-10-2013, 04:31 PM
TECH Apprentice

Coming to a track near you (sooner or later LOL) here's a few shots of the car thus far this year, getting ready for VIR in July! First test to see if I can use the 2.59 gear in it or not. 2.59 isn't so good for standing start single laps or autox I'm finding out LOL! VIR should see 140mph +

on the grid with the DSE cars at CMP, car kicked butt right off the stands, but not Tucker kinda butt yet.

On track at CMP in April,

More refined and headed to Acedemi (blackwater training facilty) Test track that our club rented for an event.

Really off camber turn at Blackwater, but still sticking in there!
Old 07-21-2013, 05:53 PM
10 Second Club

athornt2 that setup looks awesome! has it helped keep the temps down?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Post your racing resume