Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Post your racing resume

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2013, 12:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Post your racing resume

Hi All,

I've been on these forums a lot over the past 8 or so years and seen a lot of responses over the years from various people. A lot of regulars. Some people come and gone. I really want to know what you guys do or have done in the past as far as racing is concerned. It would be good to see what kind of achievements you've accomplish along the way in your careers. You know of some drivers.. but other drivers not so much. It would be really cool to understand who it is that posts and what they've been through.

For example:
When you started getting into racing?
What kinds of racing you've done for how many years and where?
What accomplishments/achievements you've gotten throughout those years?
What cars you've driven/owned while racing?
Any footage or photos?
Etc?

The sky is the limit. I'm really interested in what all the folks around here have to say. So feel free to summarize your racing career for all to see.

I will follow up with mine in a separate post.

Old 05-19-2013, 06:21 PM
10 Second Club

started racing when i was 10

Enduro kart racing for 20yrs-(the class im in has a top speed of 145mph) I have a few track records for the class at NJMP Lightning,Road America,Road Atlanta and VIR

Road America,Road Atlanta,Mid Ohio,Summit Point,VIR (full and north course), NHIS,DIS,CMS,NJMP (thunder bolt and Lightning) Roebling Road,Barber Motorsports
My last full season was back in 08' hoping to be racing again next year

Im kart #103 w/ the yellow nose

im #12 on the left at the start

skip barber formula dodge series- VIR

looking to get into Spec Miata racing now

-brandon
Old 05-20-2013, 09:50 AM
TECH Resident

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

Gran Turismo 1-4
Forza Motorsports 1-4
RC stadium truck and touring car racing.

lol
building my SS now for my first HPDE
Old 05-24-2013, 03:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS 2
Gran Turismo 1-4
Forza Motorsports 1-4
RC stadium truck and touring car racing.

lol
Old 05-25-2013, 01:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Demon, those karts go 145mph max? That's pretty nuts. Looks like a lot of fun though!

Stang Killa.. you'll be suprised how much of racing in Forza carries over into real life. It's not the same obviously since you have to deal with a lot of other stuff in the driver seat like g-forces and other stuff. But you can learn a lot of tactics on those games. Hell you can even get used to the real life race tracks they have on those games
Old 05-25-2013, 01:41 PM
TECH Junkie

I think in 2003 I started getting into the Seekonk Speedway spectator drag races. I've got a clip posted below of what it's like. Then started autocrossing in 2004 in the local Boston BMWCCA autocross events.

Here's just one clip of the spectator drags to give you an idea of what each race is like:
This is me going against a friend of mine from the track. I'm the white 1999 z28. Thanks to youtube and smartphones, there's tons of footage of the seekonk spectator drags online of me and other competitors from the track

I've been doing these races every year since 2003. They have about 4-5 events a year. I've won 1st about four times. Gotten several 2nd and 3rd place finishes too. Now days though, the competition is as tough as ever. There's a few all wheel drive cars that can blow the doors off you on the launch and still stay ahead. I've also gotten a few dings. Most came from a semi-rivalry that I got myself into for a year or two.

I've autocrossed from 2004 to 2011. Just local competitions.. nothing hardcore like nationals. Mostly done it in my camaro going between SM and CP classes. I'm nothing special in my Camaro.. no victories that I can claim here unfortunately. I seem to do good in other cars though. I got 1st place for the season both years I drove my 2009 WRX in stock classes. I gave last year a break to have more time to do yardwork and other stuff It's carrying over to this year too... getting married in October

In the future I'd like to get my Camaro into HPDE's. Either that or sell the Camaro and put together a C5 corvette for that.

So in a nutshell
4 1st place finishes in spectator drags
~4 or 5 2nd/3rd place finishes in spectator drags
2 1st place trophies in 2009 WRX in autox
Old 05-28-2013, 09:27 PM
10 Second Club

yea i race a twin engine kart ( two 100cc engines) at Daytona we hit 145, most other road courses were around 120-130mph

the 250cc superkarts are up around 160mph

and about Forza... before i went to Road Atlanta i spent about 5hrs racing on RA in Forza and when i went to the track in my first round of practice i was running w/ the front pack

-brandon
Old 06-02-2013, 10:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

No true racing experience here, however I'm catching the bug.

As for car experience, I've always been a straight line guy -- had an old C4 Corvette built for the strip and a few test and tune nights with the SS.

A couple years ago I participated in my first HPDE at Road Atlanta and it was (by far) the most fun I've ever had in my car. I'm hooked on the road courses and am now traveling around having fun at other tracks. Still working on the conversion of my cars setup from straight-line to a road course friendly setup and it's cool to see it all come together.

Ironic that Forza was mentioned above -- I put in several hours leading up to the Road Atlanta event to learn the track. With the information overload you get in the first couple sessions of your first time on a track, it was nice already having knowledge of what the line looks like (especially when the next turn is blind because of the crazy elevation changes). I haven't made it to Road America yet, however I think that could be my new favorite if the game is a realistic depiction of the experience!
Old 06-05-2013, 06:51 PM
10 Second Club

vids on youtube help out alot too, the only down fall is that its hard to see the elevation changes and how drastic the change can be

-brandon
Old 06-06-2013, 02:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Demonicbird00
vids on youtube help out alot too, the only down fall is that its hard to see the elevation changes and how drastic the change can be

-brandon
Very true. It's amazing how much of an impact elevation has on the car.

Turn 1 at Road Atlanta is a great example. Nice to simply let the hill do some of the work helping the car hold.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:26 AM
TECH Apprentice

I grew up in Rural VA, and driving those back roads in my 67 Camaro was like road racing to me. I started to build my camaro as a pro touring style car way back in the mid 80's before it was the new thing. Then came Collage and Formula SAE, I was part of the Va Tech team that won the championship in 1991. Also during that time I worked on a Winston cup team on the weekends away from school. I was the gas catch man for Dave Marcis for 5 years. Only claim to fame from that is that I'm actually in the movie "Days of Thunder" so technically I'm a movie star! LOL
Then came graduation and the introduction to the real world, and boom a kid! So that explains the 20 year gap until now.
Since I got into my WS6 (it was my wifes first till she got a vette) I started Autoxing it locally. It took a couple of years to get the car competitive but I was able to win the State Championships with it twice in ESP, and many local series championships. I've also done some "spectator drags" in it here but we call it wacky wendsday here at the local short track. I've done many HPDE's in it at VIR and NCCAR and I'm now an HPDE3 driver. I've also driven Road Atlanta in a Camaro rental car, and CMP in my trusty 67 camaro. The WS6 is now retired and the Camraro is now an all out Track car complete with C5 suspension up front and C4IRS in the back powered by a built LS1. I'll be at VIR in July with NASA with it.

Old 06-07-2013, 10:50 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sometimes, I like to accelerate on on-ramps.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:06 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

For example:
When you started getting into racing?
DRAG RACING FROM 16 YEARS OLD UNTIL I WAS COAXED INTO RIDING IN A RACE PREP M3 IN MY EARLY 40'S.

What kinds of racing you've done for how many years and where?
DRAG AND SCCA PRIMARILY UNTIL 3 YEARS AGO.

What accomplishments/achievements you've gotten throughout those years?
WAS SIGNED OFF TO SOLO AT MY FIRST EVENT AT BARBER. I AM NOW A PORSCHE CLUB OF AMERICA DRIVING INSTRUCTOR. HAVE ABOUT 15 EVENTS NOW.

What cars you've driven/owned while racing?
85,88,89 5.0 MUSTANGS, T TYPE REGAL, T BIRD SUPERCOUPE, 94 Z28, CURRENT CAR FOR TRACKDAYS IS A 99 Z28.

Any footage or photos?
THIS WAS AT BARBER, COULD NOT FIGURE OUT WHY THE CAR WOULD NOT TURN. I GOT HOME AND FOUND THE SHAFT ON THE LEFT FRONT SHOCK BROKEN...I RAN SOME 1:49 LAPS ON 3 SHOCKS. HAD A REALLY BAD PUSH. I AM ON STREET TIRES, EVERYONE IN GROUP 4 IS ON A COMP OR SLICK TIRE

THIS IS FROM CIRCUIT GRAND BAYOU, I AM IN THE PEWTER CAR.

TURN ONE AT ROAD ATLANTA

Last edited by FASTFATBOY; 06-10-2013 at 09:20 AM.
Old 06-10-2013, 05:46 PM
10 Second Club

FASTFATBOY...did you post on gmhtp fb post today?

-brandon
Old 06-10-2013, 05:58 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Demonicbird00
FASTFATBOY...did you post on gmhtp fb post today?

-brandon
Yes, about track days.
Old 06-11-2013, 10:28 PM
10 Second Club

thought so, its weird seeing peoples real names after 10yrs of nowing them by there screen names lol
Old 06-12-2013, 08:00 PM
TECH Junkie

So far so good. Got some good info and video clips on here. Where's everyone elses?

Geez if the shock shaft is broken, is there any chance the spring could shoot out on you?
Old 06-12-2013, 08:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Beachcruiser, which track did you run at for the spectator drag event? The Seekonk ones are relatively clean compared to what I've seen on youtube at other tracks.
Old 06-12-2013, 09:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by z28bryan
So far so good. Got some good info and video clips on here. Where's everyone elses?

Geez if the shock shaft is broken, is there any chance the spring could shoot out on you?
Only if I did a Dukes Of Hazard maybe.

Old 06-24-2013, 09:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by z28bryan
Beachcruiser, which track did you run at for the spectator drag event? The Seekonk ones are relatively clean compared to what I've seen on youtube at other tracks.
Langly Speedway in Hampton VA

Quick Reply: Post your racing resume