Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Hpde with a auto

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2013, 10:03 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hpde with a auto

Have a 1993 z28 a4 - wanted to get into road racing. Is it feasible to track the car with a automatic tranny? I know it's not ideal, but I figured if I really get hooked I can always consider a t56 swap down the road.
Old 07-12-2013, 11:08 AM
Teching In

I don't see a problem for track days other than its going to be slow. I might actually be a good thing if your just getting started. Your will focus on braking and the proper line, and you will not be worried about all that heel toe stuff and the fear of missing a shift. There will be way less acceleration coming off the corner since you will be at the wrong RPM for max power, but then again it might teach you how to carry speed through the corner. Also, put a big cooler on the on the thing!
Old 07-12-2013, 12:04 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the advice. That actually makes a lot of sense. I'm coming from a Evo x and sti, so I'm a little inexperienced with driving a big hp rwd. My goals right now is to learn how to drive the car and just plain having fun.
Old 07-13-2013, 03:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

As JF said-BIG cooler! Shift kit would help also. I raced a 700hp 67 camaro for years with an auto. I would rather use an auto at the rr course then a manual at the dragstrip for sure. I'm sure that's just me though.
Old 07-13-2013, 07:11 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did it for several years with my 94 and did not use a cooler or shift kit so just go have fun. I did the T56 swap eventually and the old girl is still going strong.
Old 07-13-2013, 03:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If all you are going to do is 10-15 sessions a year and still use your car for a dd then I'd just take the precautions mentioned. If the day comes you are making it a dedicated RR car then you might consider a manual trans.
Old 07-13-2013, 11:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is something I would like more information on as well, I have a feeling my 4L60 is going to hate me if I take it to VIR... will it survive or should I start saving for a new trans now?
Old 07-14-2013, 01:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Hopefully one day will not destroy it, but...BIG trans cooler with a trans temp gauge, shift kit with good fluid will all make a big difference.
Old 07-25-2013, 01:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

You should be absolutely fine with an auto for a HPDE. A big cooler isn't a bad idea -- frankly it's cheap insurance, however the reality is that you aren't going to be near the limit of the car your first time out of the gate.

Use your track days to learn and develop as a driver. Once you're a proficient driver, then you can better start to address the limitations of the car.

Interestingly enough, many instructors will ask novice drivers (with manual transmission cars) to limit or completely eliminate the shifting -- i.e. drive the entire track in 3rd gear -- just so they can focus on learning the line, braking, increasing your vision and awareness of surroundings.

Quick Reply: Hpde with a auto