Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

what to check and upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 01:02 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what to check and upgrade?

i have an older bmw with an ls2. it is a track car that was built a year ago. i am an experienced driver, but an absolute newbe to the ls motors. my buddy has the same setup and just had the cam gear bolts back out and cook the motor. What should i be looking to upgrade and double check before my 3day at road america?

2800lb car. fully wet with driver. sticky tires and big brakes.
internally stock ls2 (24k mile) motor.
3qt accusump.
underdrive pulley.
monster clutch / flywheel with arp bolts.
headers / dual 2.5"
wait4me performance mail tune.

getting fuel starvation below 1/2 tank. swirl pot is ordered.
do i need to drill my lifter trays?
should i replace all my timing components?
arp cam gear bits?
should i get it on the dyno for a specific tune?
what else do i need to look out for on these motors?

thanks, Jason
Old 07-27-2013, 02:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Dude, that car should be an absolute gas to do Road America in. If you have a stock GM power steering pump, I understand they are prone to overheating and pushing fluid past the cap. There are numerous cheap ways to mitigate this (research here)-or you can get an aftermarket pump.
Old 07-27-2013, 07:17 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Send the steering pump to PSC components for a re valve($99) and put a cooler in the return line.

If the engine is together dont sweat the lifter trays.

Does it have the Improved Racing baffle in the oil pan?

I would mount a 10psi hobbs switch to a red light in the dash for the oil pressure. These engines in high grip sustained corners tend to hurt themselves.

There is another guy on here with a white BMW with a setup similar to yours, I would contact him. Search this forum.
Old 07-27-2013, 07:22 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check these guys out..........

https://ls1tech.com/forums/road-raci...est-video.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/road-raci...rack-njmp.html
Old 08-02-2013, 10:22 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 1981TA
Dude, that car should be an absolute gas to do Road America in. If you have a stock GM power steering pump, I understand they are prone to overheating and pushing fluid past the cap. There are numerous cheap ways to mitigate this (research here)-or you can get an aftermarket pump.
yes, the car is an absolute blast to drive. light, nimble and GOBS of torque.

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
Send the steering pump to PSC components for a re valve($99) and put a cooler in the return line.

If the engine is together dont sweat the lifter trays.

Does it have the Improved Racing baffle in the oil pan?

I would mount a 10psi hobbs switch to a red light in the dash for the oil pressure. These engines in high grip sustained corners tend to hurt themselves.

There is another guy on here with a white BMW with a setup similar to yours, I would contact him. Search this forum.
power steering - underdriive crank pulley and cooler on return line. have not spun it past 6k rpms and all seems to be fine.

oiling - cts-v late model pan. rear sump, is extra deep with factory baffling. plumbed oil cooler and 3 qt accusump. good call on the warning light. i just purchased a 20lb warning light.

so, what is the consensus on timing components. should i pull the front cover, check (llocktight) cam timing bolts? replace timing components? if so, what should i replace?

thanks, Jason

Old 08-04-2013, 08:24 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by jason89i
power steering - underdriive crank pulley and cooler on return line. have not spun it past 6k rpms and all seems to be fine.

doesnt matter. the stock pump cant take fast, hard turns, especially with slicks. one season of autox on any kind of sticky tire will kill a stock pump, likewise on tracks. get a turn one or the stock revalved. i ran my turn one with slicks and never had a problem, with nothing more then the stock PS cooler.

Quick Reply: what to check and upgrade?