Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

R-compound tire shelf life?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 11:33 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default R-compound tire shelf life?

Hello,

I am looking at a good deal on a set of never used r-compound BFG R1's, but the production date is in 2009. I know tires are not good forever, but are these too old for track use?

Thanks in advance
Old 01-24-2014, 12:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ask about how many heat cycles have been put on them. They might be cycled out.
Old 01-25-2014, 03:42 AM
Teching In

The tires are all brand new, and have never been mounted. They are just old, but I do not know if 2009 is too old.
Old 01-25-2014, 08:06 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought a set off Ebay like that, brand new and have been fine. $550 shipped for a set I think. They are wearing very very well. I found the pressure sweet spot at 33/29 to start the session. Mine have 16 sessions on them and still grip like when I put them on.

I am 4 seconds a lap faster on the R1 vs NT-05 at NOLA Motorsports park.

I drove them on the street to "scrub them in"(be careful) and put some heat in them and then let them sit for at least 24 hours.

As long as the tires are in temp control and out of the sun 4-5 years seem to be ok.

I just bought some Hoosier/Continental tires the same way.

Last edited by FASTFATBOY; 01-25-2014 at 08:11 AM.
Old 01-30-2014, 12:02 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 179 Likes on 117 Posts

If you have 2 sets of rims.... I would buy some used take off slicks or take off R-compounds that have a 2013 or newer production date and mount them up for track days. They usually sell for $60-140 each.

Those tires you are looking at will be fun to play around with and perform fine... but if seconds count and consistent tire characteristics are important.... pass on those. I have similar age R-compound tires on my car for the street and have taken them on the track... but a D.O.T. R6 Hoosier would kick my tires in the nuts or even brand new Nitto/Toyos. R6's is what I'll run this year on a set of dedicated rims.

I like NT-01 tires the best for a streetable tire you can punish on the track. Their max size in an 18" rim is 315/30/18 though. They wear pretty well also. 6-8K miles as long as you don't burnout on them too much.

Hoosier if you aren't class limited to a particular tire
brand new discontinued slicks from Hoosier: look at 2nd from the bottom
https://www.hoosiertire.com/discontinuedtires.htm

I ran a set of new Good Year slicks and they were garbage compared to new Hoosier R100's. No feedback from the GY tires like the Hoosiers gave you.

There are a number of used tire dealers that sell take offs as well. Rich guys run them for a weekend and chuck them because they are .1-.2 tenths slower than a new set. They are that competitive. For amateur racers these are just fine. They won't really have any stock until the season starts up again.

Last edited by gnx7; 01-30-2014 at 12:22 AM.
Old 01-30-2014, 06:44 AM
TECH Addict

its not just age but where/how were they stored. were they in a warm place, off bare concrete? or were they out in a shed for years, subject to freezing temps, sitting on dirt? temperature is as bad to race tires as age.

Quick Reply: R-compound tire shelf life?