Old 10-30-2014, 07:00 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Breaking my heart.

I will be at NOLA Nov 15-16
Old 11-04-2014, 09:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got back yesterday, car gets back tonight. It was an absolute blast of a weekend. If they do it again next year it's a must do bucket list item for anyone that can get there. I should be getting some pictures of the car on track soon, I'll post them up as I get them. Here's how it started on Friday.

The car was Stupid fast! It ran a 2:10 with a top spend about 165 on the tri oval. I have some in car video but it didn't turn out very good because of the angle of the sun. I'm going to try and edit it.

In a funny twist of fate, Mdenz3 ended up being my DE2 student for the weekend in his 97 V6 Camaro. I'll have to say, that car is pretty impressive for a V6 car, it handles and stops very well, and the little ole V6 gets it around the track pretty good. Not to mention he can handle the driving part. Good job!
Old 11-04-2014, 11:38 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They made you pit in the grass? With all the paved area there?

Guess I will have to take the factory 162 limiter off my car. I never thought it would bump it, but it might.

Awesome news, next year.....next year.
Old 11-05-2014, 01:54 PM
On The Tree

Beach Cruiser - I'm sorry I never made it over to introduce myself. I spent much of the weekend thrashing on the car. Your car looks great!

Daytona was incredible. I had a great time racing and hope that NASA goes back next year. I ran a fast lap of 2:04.2 with a top speed of 163. I ran a much better race on Saturday but unfortunately my camera turned off while still on grid. Here is my video of the Sunday race.

Courtesy of OG Racing:
Old 11-05-2014, 07:09 PM
TECH Apprentice

Allen,
I watched that entire race from the top of the front stretch fan area. I can't believe the orange mustang was not black flagged for dragging the bumper most of the race? I tried to get through the paddock to talk to different people, but between TT's and instructing a DE1 and DE2 student, there was just no time. Almost every time I came back in or was ready to go out, there were people around my car asking questions too, that didn't help. The 68 Mustang in DE1 was one of my students, that car was a lot of work to ride in! Stock seat with no support! I'm still sore!

The most frequent question was is that car stock? The answer was, well, it's all Chevrolet, define stock? My biggest take away from Daytona is that I'm running to much gear. I would get pulled at one, three, five and the exit of the infield, Six? I never could make that up even though I was reeling them in from Nascar 3 to the finish line. I'm running a 2.59 rear with a 4 speed. I have a 3:07 that I'm going to switch to for next year to see how much difference it makes. I was about 5500 RPM at the finish line. Watching your vid and talking to some FL drivers, I see I was taking turn one way wrong. I was coming in to high and braking still on the banking. I had to brake early because I had way to much speed there. I got pretty loose almost every time and spun into the middle once.

For my first time there in a 47 year old car (yeah right) that I built by myself in my garage, I'm pretty darn happy with the weekend! Maybe I'll see you at RA or VIR for the east nationals this summer.

Mills
Old 11-05-2014, 07:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Forgot to post the Money shot of the weekend for me!

Old 11-07-2014, 06:30 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by beach cruiser
Allen,
I watched that entire race from the top of the front stretch fan area. I can't believe the orange mustang was not black flagged for dragging the bumper most of the race? I tried to get through the paddock to talk to different people, but between TT's and instructing a DE1 and DE2 student, there was just no time. Almost every time I came back in or was ready to go out, there were people around my car asking questions too, that didn't help. The 68 Mustang in DE1 was one of my students, that car was a lot of work to ride in! Stock seat with no support! I'm still sore!

The most frequent question was is that car stock? The answer was, well, it's all Chevrolet, define stock? My biggest take away from Daytona is that I'm running to much gear. I would get pulled at one, three, five and the exit of the infield, Six? I never could make that up even though I was reeling them in from Nascar 3 to the finish line. I'm running a 2.59 rear with a 4 speed. I have a 3:07 that I'm going to switch to for next year to see how much difference it makes. I was about 5500 RPM at the finish line. Watching your vid and talking to some FL drivers, I see I was taking turn one way wrong. I was coming in to high and braking still on the banking. I had to brake early because I had way to much speed there. I got pretty loose almost every time and spun into the middle once.

For my first time there in a 47 year old car (yeah right) that I built by myself in my garage, I'm pretty darn happy with the weekend! Maybe I'll see you at RA or VIR for the east nationals this summer.

Mills
Race weekends always end up being insanely busy. I always feel guilty when friends and family come to watch and hang out because I'm usually busy working on the car.

I had the opposite problem, I ran out of gear on the oval. I'm running a super t-10 4 speed and a 3.23 gear. I think a 3.07 would have been perfect. I bumped the rev limiter to 7k and was hitting it before the start finish. In fact in qualifying on Sunday I bent a pushrod after I parked it on the limiter for a few seconds trying to make a fast lap. I was scrambling to find another one until I was reminded that my Yukon has the same size pushrods... so I borrowed one from it so I could race. I'm also still 25 hp down or 200+ lbs over weight for my class which didn't help.... especially on starts and restarts.

Didn't you put a dog box in your car before this weekend? How did you like it? Was it awesome? Post your vid, I want to watch it! Are you coming to Road Atlanta for the Toy Race weekend?
Old 11-07-2014, 10:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yeah, I broke the input gear in my ST10 in March, and the replacement trans keep coming out of Second in May, so I had it rebuilt at the local race shop. They ended up rushing on it for me to make VIR in July and forgot to put a shim in it so the needle bearings chewed themselves apart! So I went to Racing Junk and found a Rankin Dogbox out of Micheal Waltrips Truck team and put that in there. Now I have the Newly rebuilt ST10 as a spare. Still getting used to the dogbox, it's loud! Really loud! Here's the vid.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v...61340542427090
Old 11-07-2014, 08:21 PM
10 Second Club

sounds like a badass weekend!! ill be racing there dec 27-30. You guys are clicking off some impressive times in cars i turn 2.03/4s there in an enduro kart
Old 11-13-2014, 05:00 PM
Teching In

It was nice meeting you beach_cruiser!

My little V6 ended up doing a best time of 2:21.8 with a top speed of 134mph.

Also, NASA-SE just released the schedule for next year, Daytona is on it again!

Quick Reply: NASA Daytona Nov 1-2, 2014. Rolex Course