Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

The Race Seat/Bracket Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2014, 07:48 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Race Seat/Bracket Thread

So, like the title says I would like to start a collaboration from everyone who has an aftermarket seat/brackets or some type of modifications to help keep you in place and focus for roadrace/autocross style events

I'm new to the camaro world and the Z28 I bought has a Corbeau FX1 with side mounts on factory slider, and has a terrible side to side wobble. I'm looking at getting rid of this setup or at least stopping this wobble.

So let's see what everyone has!
Old 08-17-2014, 12:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm using a cobra imola pro seat (side mounts) with wedge engineering bracket with no sliders. I had to drill the bracket to make it work with the side mounts. The seat is a little higher then stock, but the seat cushions can be swapped to sit lower or higher. With this setup the seat does not move at all.

Last edited by Empatho; 08-17-2014 at 09:12 PM.
Old 08-17-2014, 06:46 PM
Staging Lane

im running corbeau cr1's on their bolt in sliding bracket, and 3" harnesses and they don't budge. night and day difference from the stock junk
Old 08-18-2014, 06:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm running Corbeau FX1s with their double-locking slide mounts. The legs have been trimmed to lower the seats because of helmet contact with the roof with taller drivers. I also have IO Port Racing seat back braces connecting to my roll bar cross brace. The seats stay firmly in place and are a huge difference over stock. They are also comfortable enough to take on longer drives.
Old 09-15-2014, 08:11 PM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I'm 6'1" 180lbs wear a 34 to 36" pants. I'm running a Corbeau Forza with their dual locking slider. I have been daily driving it for a good couple of months now. It takes some getting used to being a fixed back seat. But during the winter the stock one will go back in.
Old 09-16-2014, 11:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

Recaro Pro Racer HANS XL here with aluminum brackets and slider for driver and Recaro Profi with aluminum brackets for ride alongs...

Old 09-16-2014, 02:22 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm running a Corbeau FX1 Pro on the drivers side and a FX1 on the passenger side. I broke Corbeau's double locking sliders so many times that they finally talked me into running two of their single sliders per seat. This means you have two handles to pull to move the seat. I'm using their mounting bracket made for the 4th gens. It places the seat very high and when I run on the track I don't run a seat cushion to gain helmet room. It's a horrible setup but I just haven't had the money to swap it out and frankly now I'm used to it.

The seat is very flimsy and flexes quite a bit during hard cornering. I have 5 point harnesses in the car but there is still a lot of movement in the shoulders. Watch this video and concentrate on watching my right shoulder move around and you'll see what I mean.

These are an inexpensive seat so I got what I was paying for and they are worlds better than the factory seats. I just wish I had spent a little more money for something more solid.
Old 09-16-2014, 07:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Jeff94TA
I'm running a Corbeau FX1 Pro on the drivers side and a FX1 on the passenger side. I broke Corbeau's double locking sliders so many times that they finally talked me into running two of their single sliders per seat. This means you have two handles to pull to move the seat. I'm using their mounting bracket made for the 4th gens. It places the seat very high and when I run on the track I don't run a seat cushion to gain helmet room. It's a horrible setup but I just haven't had the money to swap it out and frankly now I'm used to it.

The seat is very flimsy and flexes quite a bit during hard cornering. I have 5 point harnesses in the car but there is still a lot of movement in the shoulders. Watch this video and concentrate on watching my right shoulder move around and you'll see what I mean.

These are an inexpensive seat so I got what I was paying for and they are worlds better than the factory seats. I just wish I had spent a little more money for something more solid.
I'm guessing from the camera position that you have a roll bar of some sort. You may wish to try seat back braces. I have them on my Corbeaus and they are rock solid. $110 each @ IO Port Racing Supply. Watch the rear view mirror to get a idea of the lack of movement between the bar and seat back:

Last edited by 1981TA; 09-17-2014 at 11:09 AM.
Old 09-17-2014, 06:47 AM
TECH Addict

The seat is very flimsy and flexes quite a bit during hard cornering. I have 5 point harnesses in the car but there is still a lot of movement in the shoulders. Watch this video and concentrate on watching my right shoulder move around and you'll see what I mean. Sebring video

Damn, that seems like a lot of movement. This was my last run at autocross so I don't see the lateral forces some you RR guys see but my Corbeau Forza with dual locking slider hasn't caused me any issues.

I do have some slight movement but I don't notice it.
Old 09-17-2014, 07:57 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1981TA
I'm guessing from the camera position that you have a roll bar of some sort. You may wish to try seat back braces. I have them on my Corbeaus and they are rock solid. $110 each @ IO Port Racing Supply. Watch the rear view mirror to get a idea of the lack of movement between the bar and seat back:
I have an Autopower 4 pt. bar in the car and I tried the IO Port seat back brace. The Corbeaus have a single mounting point on the back so I re-drilled the IO Port bracket to mount to the single point and with all the twisting it just kept loosening up. How do you have yours mounted? Did you drill the seat for two mounting points? I love your car BTW it sounds bad *** and looks like it handles really well.
Old 09-21-2014, 11:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have an Autopower 4 pt. bar in the car and I tried the IO Port seat back brace. The Corbeaus have a single mounting point on the back so I re-drilled the IO Port bracket to mount to the single point and with all the twisting it just kept loosening up. How do you have yours mounted? Did you drill the seat for two mounting points? I love your car BTW it sounds bad *** and looks like it handles really well.
Yes, I did drill the seats for two points.

Thanks for the kudos. I can't wait for the "new" engine to be finished. Lots of trials and tribulations over the summer, but it's looking like I'll have AI high compression ported 241s + .600/110 LSA cam on top of a very low mile LS2 shortblock by mid-October. It should be good for a 120 HP bump over the LS1 in the video. I'm hoping to make it to the Gingerman Raceway Halloween open track.

Edit: Seeing Brigade24's post below jarred my memory on something: I did have to drill the seat rails so that they positioned the seats about an inch closer to the trans tunnel. As supplied, there was interference with the doors, which kept them from closing.

Last edited by 1981TA; 09-22-2014 at 01:31 PM.
Old 09-22-2014, 06:47 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I run a Kirkey Intermediate road race seat on both sides.

Wolfe 4 point bar.

My seat does not move, it is solidly mounted.

Last edited by FASTFATBOY; 09-24-2014 at 07:40 PM.
Old 09-22-2014, 09:06 AM
Launching!

I run an OMP champ series fixed back seat with OMP side mounts on double locking sparco sliders...these sliders are finicky but they work. I had to drill some extra holes in the front portion of side mount to lower the seat...all this "stuff" sits on a Planted seat bracket which also needs to be drilled to centre the seat as the holes/slots are not in the right place for my setup. i'm 5'8" and the seat is a bit high but does not move...
Old 09-24-2014, 12:22 PM
Teching In

I'm running Arizen fixed back racing seat with OMP side mounts (drilled to lower seat further, on a base I made myself out of 1/8" steel. Headroom is at a premium in the C5 with a helmet on.
Old 09-29-2014, 11:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Anyone have experience using 6LE seats?
Old 10-02-2014, 02:55 PM
TECH Addict

Since adding a 5 pt harness to my Corbeau Forza seat with Corbeau dual locking slider, I BARELY move.

I'm happy with the Forza seat for the price and performance I get out of it.
Old 11-30-2014, 07:05 PM
Teching In

I run a 4119w racetech on my drivers side with hardbar brackets and passenger side is 4009w racetech with also hardbar seat brackets. mounted as low and far back as possible. Then crow 6 pt harnesses. gives me decent head room in a C6Z.

Quick Reply: The Race Seat/Bracket Thread