Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Autocross Differential, what do you use?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2014, 11:52 AM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Hmmm I never heard about the T2R quality issues. I plan to get a diff over the winter.

My stock 65K mi diff will light up inside rear tire around RH turns on OLD 275/40/17 V710's....that crap gets old REAL quick.

I had the Auburn Racer diff, T2R and TrueTrac on my list.

Guys that went with the TrueTrac...how did you justify the fact that Auburn offers their "swap program" for 3yrs after initial purchase? If you blew your TruTrac @ $420 each time (Strano's website), it would have been cheaper going with the Auburn @ $550 initially then, from what I hear, only shipping cost to get a new one.

Last edited by smitty2919; 09-15-2014 at 03:02 PM.
Old 09-15-2014, 10:47 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't know that when I bought my TrueTrac...
Old 09-15-2014, 11:06 PM
Teching In

Smile

Didn't know that either. I just not a fan of cones or clutches really. My Torsen in my '97 took 8yrs of abuse and was still strong when I sold the car. Gears are better than clutches to me anyway.
Old 09-16-2014, 05:58 AM
TECH Addict

Got off the phone with Sam yesterday and he mentioned he doesn't even sell the T2R anymore due to the quality issues and poor service.

Looks like it's between the Auburn and TrueTrac. Sam suggested the TrueTrac for my 90% daily driving and not highly competitive autocross. But that Auburn swap program seems too good to pass up.

My 95 came stock with a Auburn style and I have no complaints with it other than it not locking up enough and that it will groan after it is hot and you take slow tight turns in a parking lot.
Old 09-16-2014, 03:33 PM
TECH Resident

Any of you guys having issues breaking stuff with big tires, and a diff on the 10 bolt?

Also how do the TruTrac's work at slip angle?

I have a 99 I'm wanting to play with in ESP but also do some of the drifting stuff in. I know the helical type differentials sometimes act funny at high slip angles, was hoping someone here would have some good first hand experience since I saw this was still a pretty active topic.
Old 09-16-2014, 04:23 PM
TECH Resident

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Smitty, don't let the exchange program play mind games with you. They have the program because the cone clutches are tiny, and wear very quickly. They need to have that program or else people would flip when their $550 diff stops working every few seasons.

Knowing what I know now, I would have given the true track a shot over the auburn. Having no clutches to wear out seems like a major plus. Also I've noticed that the clutches seem to take more of a beating during autocross. For your purposes, I think the gear type LSD would work well. If you could get 5 plus seasons out of a trutrac, I think it's still a better deal than the auburn. I don't see mine lasting more than 3 seasons with the amount of track abuse that my car sees.

It's not that the auburn doesn't work. It definitely does the job, but you have to know that the diff becomes even more of a wear item and if you want it to keep working properly, you need to take full advantage of the exchange program. Keep in mind it's also around $125 each time you exchange one.
Old 09-16-2014, 06:33 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 79_T/A
Smitty, don't let the exchange program play mind games with you. They have the program because the cone clutches are tiny, and wear very quickly. They need to have that program or else people would flip when their $550 diff stops working every few seasons.

Knowing what I know now, I would have given the true track a shot over the auburn. Having no clutches to wear out seems like a major plus. Also I've noticed that the clutches seem to take more of a beating during autocross. For your purposes, I think the gear type LSD would work well. If you could get 5 plus seasons out of a trutrac, I think it's still a better deal than the auburn. I don't see mine lasting more than 3 seasons with the amount of track abuse that my car sees.

It's not that the auburn doesn't work. It definitely does the job, but you have to know that the diff becomes even more of a wear item and if you want it to keep working properly, you need to take full advantage of the exchange program. Keep in mind it's also around $125 each time you exchange one.
Thanks a lot for that response. I knew it wasn't "free" lol but never know what it really cost. If that's the case and that the cones in the Auburn wear pretty quick AND that I will wear them just from DDing the car, maybe the TrueTrac is a better option.

To me, I want something that doesn't need rebuilt each year, will eliminate my inside rear tire spin issue, and is "streetable" with no loud bangs etc.
Old 09-16-2014, 08:12 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by mikespeed95
Any of you guys having issues breaking stuff with big tires, and a diff on the 10 bolt?

Also how do the TruTrac's work at slip angle?

I have a 99 I'm wanting to play with in ESP but also do some of the drifting stuff in. I know the helical type differentials sometimes act funny at high slip angles, was hoping someone here would have some good first hand experience since I saw this was still a pretty active topic.

Skip to 2:01 mark... that's on hot 315 hoosiers. Have slid it a few times and felt fine so far
Old 09-17-2014, 11:04 AM
TECH Addict

Just for ***** and giggles, here is my 95 Z with stock diff "giving up" around RH turns running stock SS wheels and 275/40/17 V710's. You can see the smoke trail lol
Old 09-17-2014, 11:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

during this entire weekend, we did not realize the fancy aluminum diff cover was contacting the ring bolts on VERY hard left-handers. One bolt eventually worked out and let go as we were loading onto the trailer. The car came to a dead stop (thankfully at 2 MPH). Upon inspection, we saw lots of metal build up in the oil, which would have certainly destroyed clutches. We cleaned it up afterward, put a plain Jane steel diff cover on, and have been running it ever since. There was zero degradation in performance in the TrueTrac diff or the gears.

Old 09-17-2014, 12:39 PM
TECH Resident

I think you just ruined every track day superstar Exige owner's dream with that, nice work, haha.
Old 09-21-2014, 01:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mikespeed95
I think you just ruined every track day superstar Exige owner's dream with that, nice work, haha.
It was an absolute blast, and this was with me riding shotgun. The driver has a ton of RR experience on bikes and it transferred over quite well to car world. In fact, I did a very careful examination of the footage and discovered the first full lap of this session (our fifth session that day) actually beat the SCCA AS record for Autobahn North Circuit by .3 seconds. We'd been released first in line that session, which helped A LOT

Then we ran into traffic. The bums :-)

To the original subject, this is (I hope) a good showing for a TrueTrac's durability under adverse conditions (very high speed, mechanical clearance failure).

Quick Reply: Autocross Differential, what do you use?