Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Improved Racing's CTS-V oil pan baffle install

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2014, 01:57 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Improved Racing's CTS-V oil pan baffle install

The good guys at Improved Racing just released a new oil pan baffle insert for the CTS-V oil pan. The CTS-V pan is a good choice for a lot of motor swaps as it clears the cross member better than the f body pan, but is just a tad deeper. I run one on my TTU/V-1 Track Camaro (Trackmaro). I'm in the process of swapping in a new LS6 Shortblock and wanted to make sure I had the best Oil control I could get in a wet sump application. I'll be taking the car to Daytona Nov 1-2 to run the Rolex circuit with NASA. So Improved Racing hooked me up with a new baffle, a crank scrapper and an oil thermostat for my oil cooler. For now here are the pics of the installation, It took only 15 mins at best (pan was already off the car).

Here's the stock pan:

Baffle removed:

Improved Racing Baffle inserted:

All bolted in place:

Factory windage tray and oil pickup inplace (just for reference):

Something I did to my last pan, as the CTS-V pan hangs low and the drain plug is in the rear. I welded a 1/4 x1 piece of flatbar on the bottom to act as a "slider" in case I ever bottom out or hit something on high center again. It doesn't take much at all to knock the back of the pan out if you hit the drain plug on something. It's happened to me twice even at 3" of clearance. That's the reason I'm putting in a new shortblock! ARG!

Old 09-29-2014, 09:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

Bolted up all the lower end of the motor over the weekend, Heres a picture of the Crank scrapper, it just drops right in! It's tight, but doesn't hit anywhere.

Old 10-01-2014, 01:17 PM
Teching In

keep us up dated would like to do this to my camaro
Old 10-12-2014, 06:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

Been driving the car around for a couple of days now, rock solid Oil pressure. I done some skidpad type circles in both directions (in a big parking lot) no issues at all. The car will be auto crossed next week, then off to the banks of Daytona in Nov. In total, with the CTSV pan and my oil cooler setup it holds 7 Qts, and that's just a little overfilled.

Old 10-27-2014, 07:23 PM
On The Tree

Bump for a sweet ride, and awesome dude. Good luck at Daytona mills
Old 11-04-2014, 09:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

Everything from Improved worked perfectly! no fluctuations in oil pressure what so ever, rock solid even in the long banked turn 3 and 4 at Daytona. For more details on my trip down to Daytona check out my trackmaro thread in the conversions and hybrids section. I'll be updating that with more pictures as I get them in.

Quick Reply: Improved Racing's CTS-V oil pan baffle install