Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Can we talk about driving in the rain?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2014, 02:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My car on NT-05's wasn't too bad in the rain honestly.

I always leave the car one gear up from where I do in the dry, if I normally take a corner in 3rd I leave it in 4th etc.
Old 12-06-2014, 08:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
My car on NT-05's wasn't too bad in the rain honestly.

I always leave the car one gear up from where I do in the dry, if I normally take a corner in 3rd I leave it in 4th etc.
I can attest to this Nt-05 are honestly not that bad in the rain. Just dont expect to drive through standing water.
Old 12-07-2014, 08:24 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Props to all of you guys for driving in the rain, many guys won't even try it! I keep a set of takeoff rains mounted and ready, they work great and they will last a long time if you store them around room temp. Try todd at gt racing tires for race takeoffs.
Old 12-07-2014, 09:58 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 475 Likes on 354 Posts

I admit I've never raced on pavement or raced a full size car but I did learn a lot about setups when me and my son raced Microsprints, Setup is everything and weight transfer plays a big part in getting the right amount of traction at the right time. With a stiff suspension you'll do fine when the track has traction available but on a slick track you need to soften the suspension up to get weight transfer to the area that needs it. That can be done with a combination of shocks and springs and adjustments. For straight line acceleration with limited traction available you want all the weight you can get transferred to the rear of the car so a smaller sway bar in front and shocks valved to let the front come up easier. Cornering on a slick track also calls for faster weight transfer side to side. My experience is on dirt and always turning left and a completely different type of suspension but one thing that always applies no matter what kind of car or track is controlling weight transfer, That's why being able to read a track whether it's dirt/pavement/circle track/road course or the strip is so important. My guess is you have a nice stiff suspension which is great on track with plenty of grip and sucks when the track has no grip, That's why the guys you were passing in the dry are so much better when its wet, They have a softer suspension that's better suited to a slick track. This is the reason you see so many cars with easily adjustable suspensions. It's hard to make changes to a coil spring car but easy to change with coil overs.
Old 01-04-2015, 05:12 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fun to drive in the rain, makes you driving better.
I had drive my camaro run 500 hp in the rain. It was hilarious experience. Have to take easy on gas pedal when it rains

Last edited by Jeff Smith; 01-04-2015 at 05:16 AM. Reason: add

Quick Reply: Can we talk about driving in the rain?