Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

CSCC Autocross Race video. 2/8/2015.

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 04:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default CSCC Autocross Race video. 2/8/2015.

I decided to change the rear sway bar back to stock, instead of changing to race tires. That put me in AS class. As you know, I'm no fan of street tires, but this day was different. My car actually handled great. With my heart rate sky high, literally (that's another story.) I was able to put together a few good laps.

Steve A.
Old 02-10-2015, 08:12 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by mountainbiker2
I decided to change the rear sway bar back to stock, instead of changing to race tires. That put me in AS class. As you know, I'm no fan of street tires, but this day was different. My car actually handled great. With my heart rate sky high, literally (that's another story.) I was able to put together a few good laps.

CSCC Autocross Race. 2/8/2015. - YouTube

Steve A.
Steve, what street tires are you running and what is the rating on them? 200 treadwear or something?

Also, now with the street tires on, where are your times relative to the runs with slicks? Where have you needed to make adjustments to your driving to compensate for the tire difference?
Old 02-11-2015, 05:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by gscherer78ta
Steve, what street tires are you running and what is the rating on them? 200 treadwear or something?

Also, now with the street tires on, where are your times relative to the runs with slicks? Where have you needed to make adjustments to your driving to compensate for the tire difference?
Hankook RS3's. 255/40/17. 285/35/18. 200 TW. Way to skinny for a Corvette. Since no two tracks are alike, it's hard to compare times. The rule of thumb is 3-4 seconds slower on a 60 second course compared to Hoosiers A6's. With street tires you basically have to tip toe around the track. Brake earlier, turn in sooner, big lag in response time, mistakes are magnified, and no real g-force that we all love to feel.

Steve
Old 02-12-2015, 08:48 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by mountainbiker2
Hankook RS3's. 255/40/17. 285/35/18. 200 TW. Way to skinny for a Corvette. Since no two tracks are alike, it's hard to compare times. The rule of thumb is 3-4 seconds slower on a 60 second course compared to Hoosiers A6's. With street tires you basically have to tip toe around the track. Brake earlier, turn in sooner, big lag in response time, mistakes are magnified, and no real g-force that we all love to feel.

Steve
That's hard for me to imagine I guess. I've not ridden in many, if any cars running slicks but have ridden in several cars running RS3's, one of them being a C5 Z06 and I recall hoping that I could get that kind of grip someday. And I thought I was getting slammed around inside of those cars as they went around turns.

Why the switch to street tires and away from slicks?

Greg
Old 02-15-2015, 10:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by gscherer78ta

Why the switch to street tires and away from slicks?

Greg
SCCA has turned into a street tire club. As of last year, they changed most of the race tire classes into street tire classes. So if you want to race stock, street tires are really the only class available now. The modified classes you can race with race tires. To answer your question. 1. Competition. 2. Just to lazy to change tires. 3. Save a little money. 4. Weather. Race tires are more fun by far though. I will probably switch back and forth through out the year.
Steve

Quick Reply: CSCC Autocross Race video. 2/8/2015.