Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Blowing power steering fluid from cap

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2015, 10:23 AM
11 Second Club

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Default Blowing power steering fluid from cap

Went to another autox Sunday and the car did really well on the new ls fbody brake setup.

But I did notice with the hood popped it looked like there has been fluid spray from the cap. When I went to remove the cap to check it the top came off like a disc. I didn't realize it wasn't all one piece.

I was going to just glue it back on but noticed there is a little thing that looks like a vent valve in the center under that disc. Is that what it is?

I might have had the reservoir overfilled slightly, if not I'm thinking it might want a fluid cooler.

I'm using Corvette accessories if that changes anything.
Old 09-21-2015, 11:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm running a cooler (pulled from a boneyard F250), with Corvette accessories and a Turn One PS pump. Even before the cooler got put in, I don't recall having the the cap blow-by issue. FWIW, The Turn One pump has reduced pressure, which I *think* will fix your problem (Less pressure = less heat, less power to run, etc). Maybe you can monkey with the spring and check valve in your pump to do the same thing.

I originally got the pump because the stock Corvette unit made my steering feel way too light.
Old 09-21-2015, 01:17 PM
11 Second Club

Weird. I have an extra cap I guess I will replace it for now and maybe see about a small cooler on the low pressure side.

My steering feel is perfect, closer to being on the heavy side with the 275s up front. I'm using a Jeep Grand Cherokee steering box which is contributing to that. It's a tighter ratio and heavier feel than the stock Chevelle box.

I need to inspect the broken cap closer and see if it's really a vent of some sort or if it just looks that way. I found the problem in between autox runs so I was more concerned with finding a replacement to use for the race.
Old 09-21-2015, 01:20 PM
TECH Resident

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Factory pumps work too hard, and they all have vented caps. They will always puke fluid when the car is pushed. A cooler helps, but some will always seep past the vented cap. I use a large cooler, turn one pump, and take a wrist sized sweatband and zip tie it around the cap. No more mess.
Old 09-21-2015, 01:35 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 79_T/A
Factory pumps work too hard, and they all have vented caps. They will always puke fluid when the car is pushed. A cooler helps, but some will always seep past the vented cap. I use a large cooler, turn one pump, and take a wrist sized sweatband and zip tie it around the cap. No more mess.
That's a good idea as well, thanks for the tip!
Old 09-28-2015, 10:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Common problem here. I haven't upgraded to the Turn One pump but I probably will once the stock pump finally gives up the ghost.

In the meantime, I took a hair "scrunchie" from my wife -- fits perfectly around the cap once doubled over and it absorbs the fluid that pushes through. I also keep an extra cap in my track bag just in case mine needs to be replaced.
Old 09-28-2015, 11:02 AM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by 79_T/A
This is what I do. I run Redline Fluid, B@M cooler, stock steering components on my LT1 and wrap a rag under the cap and zip tie the cap down running the zip ties under the reservoir. Greatly reduced the mess.
Old 09-30-2015, 10:25 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My F-body and now my Vette Puke PS with 315's in front. Turn One resolved it on the Fbody and I will be getting one for my Vette soon.
Old 09-30-2015, 10:43 AM
11 Second Club

I only do a few autox events per year and it never happens on the street. Not a huge deal was just making sure it was relatively normal.

Quick Reply: Blowing power steering fluid from cap