Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

SCCA approved cage

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 07:27 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default SCCA approved cage

What are the rules for a cage to be legal?
I went to SCCA.com and tried to download the rules but there's an error and it wont work.
car's gonna be a street/strip/track car, with full interior except for the back seat. I currently have a 10pt that's going in the car, but if possible i would like to make it SCCA legal also.
Old 12-30-2015, 05:18 PM
Teching In

What class you plan on racing. Are you going to do wheel to wheel or time trials. If you are going to run time trials you can get by with less. Assuming you are talking about racing time trials you don't even have to have a cage. I personally would put in at least a 4 point, so you can put in a 5 point harness. You need to be careful driving a car one the street with a roll cage. Sometimes a roll cage car can be more dangerous than a non roll cage car on the street. Just make sure you have plenty to of head clearance. You don't want an unprotected head hitting a roll bar. Also make sure you put roll cage padding any where your body can contact the cage. This is short and sweet but hopefully it will help.
Old 12-30-2015, 06:49 PM
On The Tree

Not sure, whats the differance?
i will be doing track days/HPDE for now but i would like to make it legal so i dont have to redo it later, thats why im doing a NHRA 8.50 legal cage when the car might go 10s when its back together.
like this bar id rather put it in now then do it later
Old 12-30-2015, 08:07 PM
TECH Resident

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

A NHRA certified cage and an SCCA certified are two VERY different things. They don't mix well. A drag cage won't help you on the road course, and a road course cage won't work well for the strip.
Old 12-30-2015, 10:17 PM
On The Tree

thanks thats what i wasnt sure about.
if there were a few extra bars that needed to be installed id put them in, but if they're completely different i wont bother
Old 12-31-2015, 01:16 PM
TECH Resident

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Unfortunately they are very different by design. It might be able to be done, but I haven't seen anyone pull off a dual cert cage yet.
Old 01-05-2016, 12:35 PM
TECH Apprentice

Latest set of SCCA GCR is here: http://cdn.growassets.net/user_files...pdf?1451503762

You can also get the rest of them at: http://www.scca.com/downloads

They list the number of points, what type of tubing needed, etc.

Since you are in PA, give Joe Aquilante from Phoenix Racing a call. They can get you one spec'd correctly for Road Racing. The drag stuff not so sure...
Old 01-11-2016, 09:43 AM
TECH Apprentice

Road Race cages require that diagonal bar you have highlighted. Generally it should go from the bend behind the drivers head to the bottom of the passenger side of the hoop. The down bars from the top of the cage down to the rear must be straight with no bends in them. It must be constructed of DOM or Chrome moly, normal tubing is not permitted. I assume your car is over 3000lbs, so 1 3/4" tubing .120 wall thickness. I hope that helps a little.
Old 02-05-2016, 06:16 PM
On The Tree

ill try that other link, thx Junior-1
beach cruiser what do you mean normal tubing?
Old 02-06-2016, 04:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

I think it's called EMC? It has a seam (discoloration) along the tube were it was welded together. It's what most Drag race cages are made of, ie. Competion Engineering and other brands. What I would consider a kit cage that you order that is supposed to fit your car.

Quick Reply: SCCA approved cage