Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

STANG KILLA SS goes "racin"

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2023, 11:11 AM
TECH Resident

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

Got back from ECR. cold but fun weekend. great track, and got to see alot of my sim racing buddies too.

removed the 1" steering wheel spacer before i went trying to figure out why i do the weird thing with my hands when im on track, thinking maybe the wheel was too close to me. didnt change a thing. still a subconscious mystery.

also ive always struggled with feel/feedback from this car. felt the power steering being overboosted might cause it. bought a power steering restrictor. the smallest one they had 1.3gph. took the stock 1/8" hole down to a 3/32"
it did help some, but i wish they made any even smaller one. did slightly heavy up the steering and a tiny bit more feel, but id like alot more.
was a PAIN IN THE *** to do. bought $100 worth of specialty tools trying to do it from the bottom, but just not enough room despite the straight shot. GM made the PS pump a royal pain in the *** on this car.

in the process i snapped on the PCV valve nipple off the manifold, but found this trick little gem on amazon that i taped and inserted.

temps were cold all weekend. morning warm up was freezing!

with the lack of good practice laps (cold and rain) didnt go as fast as id hoped, but was able to start on pole and hold onto an overall win in Race #3!
an unlimited car caught me on the last lap, but there was no way i was gonna let him steal it from me, was able to hold him off in the corners and brakes to take the overall W!
my fastest lap from that race:

car performed great all weekend. zero issues. before the event i added 2 holes of firmer adjustment to the rear sway bar to get more rotation of of her . wasnt the best move for the low grip track, but in the end it made the car alot more playful and loose. which helped me get comfortable in a car thats like that. something ive always struggled with.

looking forward to some changes for 2024!
The following 4 users liked this post by STANG KILLA SS 2:
89ThirdGenCamaro3310 (12-18-2023), CoreyD (12-20-2023), rentedmule (12-18-2023), strutaeng (12-17-2023)
Old 12-20-2023, 11:40 AM
TECH Resident

Received 147 Likes on 114 Posts

I don't get it. . . why hold up an out of class car?
Old 12-20-2023, 06:18 PM
TECH Resident

he never got close enough to hold him up. i think the closest he got was 4-5 cars. and the overall meant something to me.
Old 12-21-2023, 10:09 AM
TECH Resident

Received 147 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS 2
he never got close enough to hold him up. i think the closest he got was 4-5 cars. and the overall meant something to me.
You need to be careful of that sort of thing. If that SU car had another SU car glued to his bumper he may have found a way around you that you don't necessarily agree with when you're the only ST1 car on track. Just like when that ****** douchebag AI car inserted himself into a CMC race but was too slow to get through us all at Hallett. He got 2 love taps in T6 and numerous birds. And I got to the race director first and he got the talking to. I realize that wasn't the case here, but it doesn't take much of a change in circumstance for it to be so. I find this issue is the worst with folks who end up racing themselves, there's just something they don't get. Not all I'm sure, just the troublemakers. Now if it's you and another ST1 car that gets run down by 2 SU cars, well, anything's on the table just try not to wreck each other. Pretty much no such thing as a dick move in that scenario. I want to reiterate that I'm not implying you are the type to be that guy, but when I hear you say the overall meant something to you it is an indicator. Those SU cars did a standing start behind you that race, didn't they? Be aware that this scenario may play out every time that happens, and remember they may not be coming through alone. Those ARRS cars really pack a motor. With most other higher powered cars I end up breathing off the gas to give them room to pass, but with the ARRS even on the shortest of sections I can leave it pinned and they walk me effortlessly. Not quite the same for you. Are you making 540 wheel or so?
Old 12-21-2023, 12:22 PM
TECH Resident

im not that guy and none of that happened. i was all alone, he was all alone, no one as far as eye could see ahead or behind. he got within 4-5 cars on final lap. once. what i meant by that final sentence, was for the first time that weekend i had a reason to not just do safe "pass the time" laps.

in race 4, with 1.9 laps to go a pack of 3 SU cars caught me. i literally pulled over way off line on straight, drug 10% brake, pointed them all by waaay early, didnt cost any one of them .1 seconds. wasnt going to screw up there awesome race/ last lap battle.
your correct. im not that type of guy.
old 427 made 532hp. was told the new 427 does as well, to the number. but butt dyno tells me otherwise. dont feel even close. just never pulls hard. feels more like my old 450-475hp LS1s.
Old 03-16-2024, 12:27 PM
TECH Resident

First race of the '24 season. at Cresson
an eventful, uneventful event
one of the 1100 lb Rush SR prototypes in my class. didnt have any chance against him on this 1.7 mile track. he was some 3 seconds faster a lap.
so needless to say i only saw him on the first lap starts.
however we fought electrical gremlins.
just before the loading for the race at home, i realized the alternator and battery were both done. so put in a new alternator and battery. all fixed right?
wrong. Race 1 we smoke the brand new alternator, and the new battery just wasnt keeping up cranking the 7L.
so searched around located a new alternator, bought a new proper battery while there, and it seemed to fix everything. had to miss race #2 to get it fixed.
other that that pretty uneventful. but a good time with the fam.

despite loosing 1/2 a second to the CMC cars, this was somehow still my fastest lap of the weekend.
we were on 15 heat cycle R7s. 20 by the end of the weekend.
Old 03-16-2024, 02:16 PM
TECH Resident

back to back race weekends and without a doubt my biggest race of the year.
season opener at Super Lap Battle, the GLTC race at Circuit of the Americas!
unfortunately with the new rules we were 90 lbs heavier and on old tires with 15 heat cycles, that were 20mm too narrow. so just not competitive all weekend.

car was a bit over steery and had alot of body roll, so we added some front sway bar, and rear wing. really helped. gained about a second on lap time and made the car much more confident to drive.

overall a great weekend though. fought an issue were the car would randomly only take 10% throttle, but a quick power cycle would fix it instantly. never seemed to bother me in the races. always happening on the outlap or cool down lap.

near the end of Race 3, i was coming down into T2 and grabed 4th a little to hard and lost all forward drive. after getting towed back we discovered a broken axle. thought our weekend was done.
luckily my crew was able to track down a spare axle from another racer in the pits, and the tools we needed to change it (mostly a 32mm axle nut socket and an impact more powerful than mine. as well as some reverse torx E sockets for the axle bolts) in about an hour the new axle was in and good to go to make the final race!

couldnt have done it without my family and crew!

despite the under prepared car, i was able to go 1.1 seconds faster than last year. sadly the rest of the field all got 2 seconds faster than last year. i felt like i drove well just didnt have the car or tires to mix it up with them.

my fastest lap of the weekend.
The following users liked this post:
Passmenow (05-13-2024)
Old 05-14-2024, 10:23 AM
On The Tree

Received 67 Likes on 39 Posts

New race car in your future?
What's the plan when the BMW sells?

Quick Reply: STANG KILLA SS goes "racin"