Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Building a GTO, needs some advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2016, 09:48 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Building a GTO, needs some advice

I'm in the process of build a roller I picked up. It's already got Pedders coilovers and I'm installing Hotchkiss front and rear sway bars. It's an M6 car with built t56, gforce driveshaft, gforce axles, 3.90 gears, eaton TruTrac, and the rear wheels were widened to 19x11 so I'll be making clearance for wider tires in the rear. I'm really wanting to set it up to autocross/roadrace with the occasional trip to the drag strip. I was planning a turbo build, but I'm not sure that's going to be the best setup if I plan to autocross. I'm just looking for ideas on a great reliable build that I can drive any time and still be really quick on all tracks (autocross and dragstrip).
Old 05-21-2016, 06:07 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

For autocross you don't need much power if at al, especially with some bolt-ons and gears.

A nice HCI would do wonders for the road course too, you don't want all that weight of the turbos and intercooler over the front of the car...it's already a nose heavy car.

I went with some good stable/light valvetrain and a forged bottom end, along with the IR scraper and pan baffle for better oil control.
Old 05-21-2016, 07:44 PM
Banned

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

If your plans are 500bhp or less, use a stock shortblock with 50-100k miles (so you know you will probably get another 50 to 100k out of it). The best place to put turbochargers is in the rear, if you have the coin (figure at least 5k to do that right). You can run a mostly stock engine to 500bhp easily with a rear mount configuration, it will be reliable if you spend the cash to coat, support, and protect all of the hardware correctly.
Old 05-22-2016, 06:44 PM
TECH Resident

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

If you are serious about autocross/road course, don't even consider a boosted motor. If the car was built N/A - keep it that way. It's very difficult to boost an N/A car and keep it reliable on track.
Old 05-24-2016, 03:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I agree with 79 TA, ignore boost.

You have a tough road ahead of you. I dumped my 04 GTO for my 95 camaro since the aftermarket is so slim for GTO's. Looks like you have a decent setup on it already suspension wise.

Make sure the radius roads are up to snuff with all that autocross braking. I just fell in love with HP+ pads over HPS pads this past weekend.

Dump the 19" wheels and go 18" for better tire selection. Unless you got CCW/Forgeline etc and get custom wheels I think you will find it hard to get some decently wide wheels that fit the GTO wheel wells....the front specifically. I also think the GTO is camber challenged due to suspension. C/O may allow you to run more than usual. Miker (I think is his name on ls1gto.com) got his car setup for autocross and he was able to stuff 285's all around with the right combination of parts/settings...Stock Fbody's can fit 315's fairly easily (just a comparison).

Lastly...it's a heavy pig to toss around corners LOL. But it will be a damn BLAST if you have never raced!

Goodluck!

Quick Reply: Building a GTO, needs some advice