Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

How would an iron block affect handling?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2004, 11:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Default How would an iron block affect handling?

If one switches from an aluminum to an iron block, will it upset the handling? Will the drag racing solutions of a lighter hood, lighter accessories, relocating the battery, lightweight k-member, etc truly nullify the 70lbs weight gain?

I would probably have to stop autocrossing the car with a 408ci iron block and switch to road racing.
Old 06-24-2004, 08:29 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

People race with iron blocks all the time, so I wouldn't get too worried about it. You'll have trouble getting rid of enough weight to cancel out the extra block weight. I'd focus on revising the suspension.

The '93-97 F-bodies had iron blocks, so their suspension components are a good starting place, especially the aftermarket stuff.
Old 06-24-2004, 07:30 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

What would I need to change on my suspension to make up for the additional weight? I've got stock springs & Koni DA's...would I just need higher rate springs? Would I need to change the rear suspension?

So far as racing, I figure I can barely harness 400rwhp on the 315 victoracers on an autox, much less 500+rwhp. I just thought the bigger block would be more suited to RR than autox.
Old 06-24-2004, 07:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Stiffer front springs and likely a bigger front swaybar depending on what you currently have.

I went the other way on my 3rd gen, swapped from an iron L98 block to an aluminum LS1. I originally had 650 lb/in front springs, 36mm hollow front swaybar, 120 lb/in rear springs, 1" solid rear swaybar. It understeered badly w/ the lighter engine, but ride height was only 1/8" higher than w/ the iron block.

I could either go softer on the front suspension, or stiffer on the rear, to correct the understeer. I liked my front spring rate so I left that alone. I went down to a 34mm hollow front bar, it helped a bit but still had a push on turn-in. I started testing rear springs with what I could lay my hands on, a set of 175 lb/in and a set of 250 lb/in springs. The 175s pretty much neutraled it out with street tires, but I liked the 250s as the car had just a hint of oversteer on high speed cornering...I could manage it w/ the throttle very predictably.

In your case, you have a problem I didn't...your front springs may not be able to handle the added weight. Ride height may be too low, or it may bottom out on the bump-stops over bumps. That limits your options if so, you'll have to add spring rate up front and then start tuning from there. Stock '93-97 front springs would be a good starting place, and they should be available cheap.
Old 06-24-2004, 08:51 PM
Shorty Director

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have revalved bilsteins from Strano Parts. They are also used on the LT1 cars.. I also have a S/T 35mm front sway bar. I am still debating on running a bigger rear. So far the car feels good.

Quick Reply: How would an iron block affect handling?