Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

What shifter for T56 road racing and AutoX?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2017, 09:59 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What shifter for T56 road racing and AutoX?

As the title says, what would be a really good shifter to utilize for AutoX and some road course touring days as well as on the street?
I am aware that most of the time with Autocross I will simply shift quickly into 2nd gear and stay there for the entire pass so my question is more geared towards the street and road course.

The drag race threads appear to have a preference for the MGW shifter.

The background on my question is that I performed a LS1 / T56 swap into my 2000 Miata. In order to keep the shifter **** at the same height as the factory Miata ****, the handle just sits a couple of inches above the small bolting stub that is the top of the shifter. This is quite a bit lower than the factory shift **** location. The end result being that to maintain the ergonomics of the Miata shift lever, shifting with the factory shifter requires quite a bit of effort and has a clunky feel. A smooth and manageable shifter is definitely going to happen.
I am using this Winter to clean up the car and get it ready for next Spring when the car will be driven to work a couple of days a week and I also intend to participate in as much Autocross as is practical and intend to do some of the Touring days at our local road race track (Hallett Road Course).
Since this particular area is specifically for turning corners I figured this would be just the place to get recommendations so I can spend my money once to get the best shifter for my needs.
Thanks for any suggestions or recommendations.
Old 11-15-2017, 01:19 AM
On The Tree

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I will always recommend MGW. Impeccable build quality, great customer service.
Old 11-25-2017, 09:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts

I've had a Pro 5.0 for over a decade, but the MGW does intrigue me. But I won't buy one unless I can test drive a fully broken in MGW shifter first.
Old 11-25-2017, 10:28 PM
TECH Resident

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

The MGW is an absolute suckfest on the race track. The gates are so damn close you have to focus more on shifting than driving. I don’t understand why everyone likes the MGW. It’s notchy as hell. Couldnt stand that shifter.
Old 11-25-2017, 10:53 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 79_T/A
The MGW is an absolute suckfest on the race track. The gates are so damn close you have to focus more on shifting than driving. I don’t understand why everyone likes the MGW. It’s notchy as hell. Couldnt stand that shifter.
So what shifter do you recommend for road courses?
Old 11-26-2017, 09:17 AM
TECH Resident

I’ve been using the B&M ripper. Gates are spaced farther apart making it easier to drive. Seems smooth, Not nearly as notchy as the MGW. Haven’t had any issues missing *****. There’s a Mcloed shifter I’d like to try that uses belville washers instead of centering springs, but I’m pretty content with what I have.
Old 11-26-2017, 09:44 AM
TECH Resident

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

I've been using the Pro 5.0 on the road course for 2 seasons. I really like it. Very smooth, easy to find the gates. Shifting is an automatic function of your right hand. You don't have to think about it, just do it.
Old 11-26-2017, 10:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seems the guys on frrax like the b&m rippers
Old 11-26-2017, 10:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 79_T/A
I think you are one the first people to call an MGW notchy.
Mine is buttery smooth, smoother than a 5.0 by a lot, stock w/ lous short stick, and a lot more precise.
The centering spring is so strong you don't really need to think about shifting, 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th are really easy to find.
Old 11-26-2017, 11:30 AM
TECH Junkie

I've read that the MGW can be notchy until broken in (just like the Pro 5.0), maybe it wasn't broken in? If the return policy allowed me to return it if I was unhappy with it _after_ break-in, then I'd try one. Or if I could swap my 5.0 for a broken in MGW for a week I'd be up for that.

Even if I felt it shifted better than the 5.0, I'd still be nervous without the shift stops. I use a Mustang speed shop for my tranny rebuilds since they've been rebuilding Borg Warners & Tremecs for decades, and the owner who rebuilds them says the T56 doesn't have real internal shift stops and he is a proponent of the added feature on the 5.0.
Old 11-27-2017, 09:19 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks for all the replies and insight.
Like many things, it appears there is no single correct shifter that is universally agreed upon as being the best choice.

Personally, I specifically have a great deal of respect for the opinion of .boB as he has been very helpful on many other aspects of my build and he has a good bit of direct experience on road courses using the T56 transmission. He also is very detail driven, an attitude I also share.

The lack of stops is a concern on the 5.0 as I do not want to trash my transmission after spending a good bit of money to get it upgraded.
Old 11-27-2017, 11:52 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by JD_AMG
I think you are one the first people to call an MGW notchy.
Mine is buttery smooth, smoother than a 5.0 by a lot, stock w/ lous short stick, and a lot more precise.
The centering spring is so strong you don't really need to think about shifting, 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th are really easy to find.
Plenty of complaints about the MGW notchiness in the transmission section of this forum. It might be fun on a spirited street drive, and it’s great for drag racing, but it sucks major ***** on the road course. Gates are too close, it’s not natural feeling when you’re trying to heel-toe downshift at 110mph entering a corner. A B&M or Pro 5.0 is much better in this regard, the gates aren’t as narrow.
Old 11-27-2017, 12:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

I've had the MGW for a while now, and while I do think it's a bit too stiff in stock form, it is still a awesome shifter otherwise. Recently I shimmed out the shift detent ball, and that made a big difference. Still has all the great aspects of the MGW shifter but less stiff and notchy. I've also heard running a better trans fluid like Amsoil, Redline, BG, etc...will help smooth it out even more. So for those of you who really like the MGW, but hate how stiff it is, then you might want to consider this. Just a thought
Old 11-27-2017, 01:10 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by HCI2000SS
I've had the MGW for a while now, and while I do think it's a bit too stiff in stock form, it is still a awesome shifter otherwise. Recently I shimmed out the shift detent ball, and that made a big difference. Still has all the great aspects of the MGW shifter but less stiff and notchy. I've also heard running a better trans fluid like Amsoil, Redline, BG, etc...will help smooth it out even more. So for those of you who really like the MGW, but hate how stiff it is, then you might want to consider this. Just a thought
What shims did you purchase?
I want to get a couple on my next order to Summit Racing so I can shim mine.
It has a really hard sort of detent every time I shift.
Old 11-27-2017, 01:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by B Gordon
What shims did you purchase?
I want to get a couple on my next order to Summit Racing so I can shim mine.
It has a really hard sort of detent every time I shift.
M20 copper drain washer. They fit perfectly. I only used one, but some prefer using two. Either way it makes this detent ball less pronounced, so while you still feel it on the shift, it's just less than before
Old 12-03-2017, 09:44 AM
TECH Resident

Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Thanks for all the replies and insight.
Like many things, it appears there is no single correct shifter that is universally agreed upon as being the best choice.

Personally, I specifically have a great deal of respect for the opinion of .boB as he has been very helpful on many other aspects of my build and he has a good bit of direct experience on road courses using the T56 transmission. He also is very detail driven, an attitude I also share.

The lack of stops is a concern on the 5.0 as I do not want to trash my transmission after spending a good bit of money to get it upgraded.
Thanx for the vote of confidence.

Here's a pic of the 5.0 I use. It does have shift stops. Like you, I wouldn't use one without them. Obviously, a significant improvement over stock.

What shifter for T56 road racing and AutoX?-fbztwvi.jpg
Old 12-03-2017, 10:36 AM
TECH Junkie

The Pro 5.0 has shift stops, the MGW does not. It took me a couple of attempts to get them just right without it popping out of gear, then I set them with thread locker.
Old 12-03-2017, 03:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I've had MGW in my 04 GT, 03 Mach 1, 04 GTO and now my 95 Camaro. So, I'm a fan.

Never missed a shift unless I'm too antsy letting off the clutch out. The centering springs of the MGW is what I like. Just open palm push forward for 3rd.

Haven't used it in a road course manner though. All daily driving and autocross.
Old 12-04-2017, 10:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

Using a factory Hurst along with a short stick, no complaints
Old 12-04-2017, 10:09 AM
Staging Lane

Finding out that the 5.0 has adjustable stops makes me feel warm and fuzzy about getting one for my car.
Thanks for all the help.

Quick Reply: What shifter for T56 road racing and AutoX?