Road Racing Road Course | Autocross

Oil pump: high pressure or high volume?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2017, 08:18 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Oil pump: high pressure or high volume?

The question is which oil pump should I install on my stock LS1?

Im building it for autoX mostly and a few track days here and there. I've already installed the Imporoved Racing oil baffle. I'm in process of replacing seals and figured while I'm in there I might as well swap out the pump.

I'm leaning towards the rpmSpeed ported pump on ws6store.
Old 12-27-2017, 09:43 PM
TECH Resident

Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

I’m guessing your the same guy that posed this question in the f-body Facebook group. Please, don’t listen to any of those morons over there. Most have zero experience with LS motors for road course/autocross.

You need the standard volume, high pressure melling pump. Give a call to improved racing, they will set you up and have a lot of data to support that choice.

Higher pressure isn’t always necessary, but it gives you some nice headroom if you add an engine oil cooler in the future. Also, it would be helpful if you decide to add an accusump in the future.
Old 12-28-2017, 02:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

To add to 79 T/A, I've heard of people sucking the pan dry on high G corners with high volume pumps.

I also support the standard volume high pressure choice.
Old 12-29-2017, 05:10 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Unless you have VVT or DOD which requires additional oil flow (and also requires a second pressure relief valve in the oil pan), we recommend a stock volume pump such as the Melling 10295. This pump also gives you the option of using a high pressure spring (it comes with a stock and high pressure spring). On a stock motor the stock pressure spring will be fine. As mentioned, you can bump up the pressure if needed after adding an oil cooler setup.

Like Us: Facebook - Twitter - Youtube

Quick Reply: Oil pump: high pressure or high volume?